The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Then they need to tell Barry to stop destroying their careers.  Let them sit until their agent stops pulling this BS.

Lol.  
Overdramatic much?   
Their careers will be just fine.   Hahah

You realize they are the ones in charge of this and could put an end to it in a second if they wanted to?     

Edited by D.B Cooper

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

well to me it can be used as look at what the word means not what you think it means

used properly it is not offensive useless you take it that way

It’s not the word, but the word used in the phrase referred to.  In that context it’s racist, and needs to be cleaned up.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s not the word, but the word used in the phrase referred to.  In that context it’s racist, and needs to be cleaned up.  

Yeah, some old sayings are no longer appropriate, ie “bottom of the totem pole”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

well to me it can be used as look at what the word means not what you think it means

used properly it is not offensive useless you take it that way

I don't feel the need to tread lightly everywhere with everyone.  However, after spending more time understanding some of the indigenous history and considering my observations over the years living in the interior, I do think this is an area where cultural sensitivity and understanding is needed and words do matter.  The phrase is commonly used without any intention of racism by an individual, but as a society it's helpful to remind ourselves that these common phrases can be interpreted in ways that can be hurtful.....so why not use another phrase with less potential for unintended interpretations?  Sept 30th is coming and these are the small ways we can help each other out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just don't have a great feeling about this.  If it was just Petey or just Hughes, then fine, but it's both of them - like a protest. I'm not sure how this is going to play out. Could one or both be re-signed and traded?  We don't know what the real issues are.  It might not be about money or term - could be about the current management in place. Lots of what ifs and guessing. Wish they would just re-sign already, so this doesn't become a distraction for the team when the games begin.

16 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, some old sayings are no longer appropriate, ie “bottom of the totem pole”. 

Caught a relative yesterday saying " In a coon's age"; she was shocked when I mentioned "I don't think that saying is about raccoons".

Thing is words seem to change meanings as time goes on:

faggott was a burning piece of wood

gay meant happy

@#%k   was a word relating to stables and hay.

retarded was a perfectly fine word.

Things change, I try not to get to offended if some one is using no longer appropriate language, just mention that things have changed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Have any players sat out camp and still had strong seasons?

Every player I can think of who pulled this crap ended up having a down year.

Almost inevitably.

My fervent hope is that Rathbone looks amazing on the PP and Miller does well at Centre in pre-season games.

We should load up our lineups the first couple contests so we look really good against half AHL said opponents.

Put some pressure on the holdouts seeing that we can be successful without them.

Edited by Provost

18 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Also, EP and QH may show up ready to go, but the rest of the team may not be ready to go with them. 

In a flat cap world, salaries can't keep going up.  If some go up, others have to go down.  So unfortunately for players, they're in a contradictory position to say they want to be paid what they think they're worth and yet want to be team players.  

At this point, JB shouldn't budge.

I'm sure QH's agent convinced EP to join their agency to double the leverage and hence maximize their earnings. And it seems like they are having trouble living up to this promise with Canucks standing firm on what they would offer.

I'd say these kids need to grow up, step in and say enough is enough and instruct the agents to sign a bridge deal. Like Boeser did.

If they choose to let this prolong into the season, I think it's time to consider trade either one or both of them. Explore the market for both of these players.

I'd say if we must trade one, I'd consider trading QH first.

1. We have a PP QB in OEL that can replace QH. Rathbone may also be ready to eat up 5-on-5 minutes vacated by Hughes.

2. We have a natural trade partner in NJ, who wants to re-unite the Hughes's. NJ has accumulated impressive list of prospects and maybe we can get an RD back in a return package (maybe Severson?).

3. EP is already a complete player whereas Hughes has room to improve.

Then, sign EP to a long term deal 8 year 9.5 mil.

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Severson

Juolevi-Myers

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Put Makar, Barrie, or Hamilton, on the Canuck roster last season is all I'm trying to say. Mix in a little Covid for a little sweetner. They, last year would have been minus players too.

You don't know that.  A contract should reflect results not "what if".  Go further back to how  Hughes was shut down by Vegas in the playoffs.  The team was on fire and he still got neutralized by a focused strategy.  If he can show he can overcome that, open the vault.  So far he has shown he can put up points but is a weak defender.  Makar has shown he can defend and put up points. Their xo tracts should reflect that reality, not what Hughes may be able to do o  different circumstances 

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Boeser sat out camp in 2019, that season he put up 14 points in 12 games in the month of October as well as maintaining basically a point per game pace all the way in to mid January when his play fell off. He was dealing with injuries at that point iirc.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Caught a relative yesterday saying " In a coon's age"; she was shocked when I mentioned "I don't think that saying is about raccoons".

Thing is words seem to change meanings as time goes on:

faggott was a burning piece of wood

gay meant happy

@#%k   was a word relating to stables and hay.

retarded was a perfectly fine word.

Things change, I try not to get to offended if some one is using no longer appropriate language, just mention that things have changed.

I actually don't know about that one, and I definitely know that is a colloquialism I use in conversation.  I googled searched it and I couldn't find anything that wasn't in reference to a racoons life span. I'm not sure I entirely follow why it's not about racoons. Is it something to do with racoons being little bandits or trashy? If it's something that can't be said around here feel free to PM me, but I'm sincerly asking because that is something I know I say and would stop if it's not what I think it means.

Edit, someone messages me. I had no idea about the alternate definition of that word, had never heard it used that way before.

Edited by shayster007

1 hour ago, khay said:

At this point, JB shouldn't budge.

I'm sure QH's agent convinced EP to join their agency to double the leverage and hence maximize their earnings. And it seems like they are having trouble living up to this promise with Canucks standing firm on what they would offer.

I'd say these kids need to grow up, step in and say enough is enough and instruct the agents to sign a bridge deal. Like Boeser did.

If they choose to let this prolong into the season, I think it's time to consider trade either one or both of them. Explore the market for both of these players.

I'd say if we must trade one, I'd consider trading QH first.

1. We have a PP QB in OEL that can replace QH. Rathbone may also be ready to eat up 5-on-5 minutes vacated by Hughes.

2. We have a natural trade partner in NJ, who wants to re-unite the Hughes's. NJ has accumulated impressive list of prospects and maybe we can get an RD back in a return package (maybe Severson?).

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Severson

Juolevi-Myers

I hope it doesn't come down to something like this, but this is certainly a reasonable plan C.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Severson

Juolevi-Myers

That defence is worst than last year 

13 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I actually don't know about that one, and I definitely know that is a colloquialism I use in conversation.  I googled searched it and I couldn't find anything that wasn't in reference to a racoons life span. I'm not sure I entirely follow why it's not about racoons. Is it something to do with racoons being little bandits or trashy? If it's something that can't be said around here feel free to PM me, but I'm sincerly asking because that is something I know I say and would stop if it's not what I think it means.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coon

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Oh damn... I had no idea. I have never heard that before. Better make sure I clean that one up. I would never use that word besides on that one colloquialism but gotta make sure I stop.

Edited by shayster007
  • Haha 1