The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

UFA is 7 years of service, correct? so he has 3 already, so wouldn't this be buying 1 UFA year? or am I out in the rhubarb no that?

Still not nearly enough.  I'd set the bare minimum at 6 unless it's a true bridge.  Anything like this and I'd rather let him make $0 until he's willing to sign something reasonable.

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Don't know if this is legit, but I'd be OK with 5 years for Petey at 8.25. Thats our window anyway, and it also makes Petey very tradable if the window's a bust. 

The issue here (besides the implications of free agency at 5 years) is that at 8.25, that leaves about 5.5 to sign Hughes, which simply doesn't appear to be enough.

Bridge or no bridge, you can't force a player to play somewhere they don't want too. If Petey did sign a 5 year deal that means he's committed 8 years to us. Signing him to a bridge doesn't change the fact that if we still suck by the time a potential bridge deal is up, he can simply sign his qualifying offer and be a full fledged UFA in 4years. No sane athlete at his age should sign a hometown discounted 8 year deal, when all of his peers signed to mega long deals are making close to 10 mill or above AND to a team that ultimately did finish last in its division. We can make all the excuses we want, but there are legitimate reasons for why we sucked last year. 

He's also very confident and I'm sure he thinks he'll be an above 10 mill a year player by the time he's a UFA and if he is, happily pay him. Four years would be bad, five is manageable. Five years is a LONG time and locks him up through his early prime at a lower cap hit. 

Ps: just be happy he's not like Ben Simmons in the NBA

22 minutes ago, kloubek said:

The issue here (besides the implications of free agency at 5 years) is that at 8.25, that leaves about 5.5 to sign Hughes, which simply doesn't appear to be enough.

By the time we reduce the roster to 22 or 23 guys and put Ferland on LTIR we should have around $16-17.2m of cap space. So if Petey is at 8.25 this still gives plenty of room to sign Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

If Petey really wants to leave Vancouver he will ask for a trade. If he was setting himself up for leaving he would ask for the minimum 4 year contract to walk him to UFA. This has everything to do with having more leverage on his next contract and betting on himself. 5 years is a decent amount of time to commit to any team, and it gives him the most options at that point.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

By the time we reduce the roster to 22 or 23 guys and put Ferland on LTIR we should have around $16-17.2m of cap space. So if Petey is at 8.25 this still gives plenty of room to sign Hughes.

And if Hamonic retires (posted in his thread as a potential; from Dhaliwal) that puts us at 20 million.  

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Still not nearly enough.  I'd set the bare minimum at 6 unless it's a true bridge.  Anything like this and I'd rather let him make $0 until he's willing to sign something reasonable.

Barry is probably demanding Marner money for that tho. 

Dunno, I guess I'd be OK with 1 UFA year given the lower AAV. None of this is ideal. 

34 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I had this concern for a while as well, but 5 years is a decent amount of time. I would think our cup window would be within those 5 years, and after that we might go into another re-tool where EP and QH honestly just become too expensive for us.

I think the days of having loyal stars who play for the same team for a large majority of their career (e.g. the Sedin twins) are long gone. Horvat might be the one exception, and that's a big maybe. 

This team is not contending yet.  JB thinks 2 years and he may not be far off.  I give this team more than a 5 year window.  More like 7-8 with the next two years building towards that.  So this really is important to have a 3 or 7-8 year contract in my mind.  

28 minutes ago, kloubek said:

we're OK since there's Ferlands LTIR to work with 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Then JB risks tainting the relationship. I know where your coming from. But 1 extra year is still a commitment from petey.  Then it's on us as a team to prove we can play with the best teams. 

5 years of winning in an amazing city can go a long way in making him stay much longer 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And if Hamonic retires (posted in his thread as a potential; from Dhaliwal) that puts us at 20 million.  

I didn't know about this.  That could be an interesting twist.  So perhaps EP and QH holding off could be a mutual strategy (JB and EP/QH) based on Hamonic since this money could be impactful with the term???

• Vintage 1