The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Kampen mot klockan: ”Har svårt att hitta det”

JP Barry interview in a Swedish Paper Tuesday.

"I can't say we're getting any closer. Right now we're waiting for their reaction to a suggestion we've made. We're talking to each other, but the opinions on what the contract should look like differ."

"Money and term goes hand in hand and right now we can't seem to agree on either one of them."

"He (Elias) is cool. Of course he's continuously getting information on what's happening and right now he's just preparing as good as he can for the season."

• RoughGame 1

IMO; JB is a slightly above average GM overall. I would rate his trades over the past 8 years as below average but on a positive note he has done better lately now that he can deal from a position of relative strength. On his drafting side he is considerably above average and that is probably a big reason why he is still the GM. In 2014 the cupboard was bare and there were very few marketable players to work with. If one goes into CapFriendly and checks out his overall trading record; the trend, IMO, goes from poor in the 1st 4 years to decent in the last 4. I chalk this up to a learning curve for him as this is his 1st go at being the GM in the NHL. As long as he can keep producing quality NHL talent through the draft his job should be secure.

I would be more concerned for TG's tenure as the coach to be totally honest. If he falters they have Brad Shaw waiting in the wings.

• Upvote 1

Saw on Twitter, not sure if it's legitimate, but Chris Johnson expecting Pettersson to sign for 5 years between 8 and 8.5M? 

Is there any truth to this? This would be the worse deal possible, walking Elias straight into Free Agency. If this deal were to happen, Benning should be fired. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

"I can't say we're getting any closer. Right now we're waiting for their reaction to a suggestion we've made. We're talking to each other, but the opinions on what the contract should look like differ."

"Money and term goes hand in hand and right now we can't seem to agree on either one of them."

"He (Elias) is cool. Of course he's continuously getting information on what's happening and right now he's just preparing as good as he can for the season."

Doesn't sound encouraging to hear. 

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Doesn't really mean anything. There's always going to be differing opinions between both sides, it's just about finding middle ground and working from there, through other issues.

I'm sure that the Canucks want Bridge deals that allow them to still have RFA's that they can negotiate 8 year contracts with.

I'm sure that the agents want bridge deals that take these guys to UFA status, so they can maximize negotiating position on their next contracts.

Both sides are doing their jobs, it will get done through compromise on both sides.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

All you can do is acknowledged your mistake, accept it, and do better in the future. This one legitimately took me by surprise because I have never heard that word use in that way before to be derogatory. A poster told me it was from a book in the 60s, and admitedly being dyslexic I don't read nearly as much as I would like too.

Totally agree. We're all finding things that we've said and sung that have background meanings that are unexpected.  Nursery rhymes, etc.  All we can do is discover these "hidden" meanings of these words and phrases and snuff them out for the next generation.

For further context, the term coon was not from a book......the term likely has more history than that, but the book was well used in high school english classes to highlight systemic racism and the term coon was used a fair bit.  I found this on Google which may show more history (if correct):  Coon, derived from racoon, originates from a minstrel character, Zip Coon, first portrayed in the 1830s by a white actor in blackface.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Maddogy said:

It would help the negotiations more if J.B. is going to talk to Buffalo and Arizona tonight and tell the media that the conversations went really well.

It might help the negotiations more if J.B. went to Michigan (or where ever they are) and grabbed those 2 puppies by the scruff of their necks and held their noses in it.

And, if Keith Thepuke is there, a major throw down with Big Jim and Obese Keith wouldn't hurt either.

(Grumpy jokester this morning; it'll get done.)

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Saw on Twitter, not sure if it's legitimate, but Chris Johnson expecting Pettersson to sign for 5 years between 8 and 8.5M? 

Is there any truth to this? This would be the worse deal possible, walking Elias straight into Free Agency. If this deal were to happen, Benning should be fired. 

The scariest part of this ongoing saga is that it sounds like EP is pushing to be free asap in the UFA stage.  This could be about money and control.....I get that.  It's just a bit sad because a player who likes who he plays with and the city he's playing in is probably less worried about losing a couple of years of UFA if he's paid adequately.  If this is on JB's mind, he absolutely has to stick to a short term or a long term.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I believe it buys 1 year of free agency, he has 3 under his belt now. But I would defer to @mll on that.

Edited by JM_

2 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

The problem with 5 years is EP can waltz right into free agency 

is that really a problem? its a manageable cap hit for 5 years. My understanding is this buys 1 UFA year, so if thats correct then I'm fine with it. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

The problem isn’t 5 years, the problem is that fans are not confident that  J.B. and the ownership in particular have the guts to trade Pettersson by year 4 of the contract if Pettersson says that he prefers to talk about contract extension by the end of year 5. Management and ownership need to be cold blooded and business like.

3 minutes ago, Steven Stamkos said:

The problem with 5 years is EP can waltz right into free agency 

I had this concern for a while as well, but 5 years is a decent amount of time. I would think our cup window would be within those 5 years, and after that we might go into another re-tool where EP and QH honestly just become too expensive for us.

I think the days of having loyal stars who play for the same team for a large majority of their career (e.g. the Sedin twins) are long gone. Horvat might be the one exception, and that's a big maybe. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

Either less years to do another contract, or buy more UFA years.  Any GM that walks their best player right to UFA is an absolute moron.  Never go Full Dubas.

UFA is 7 years of service, correct? so he has 3 already, so wouldn't this be buying 1 UFA year? or am I out in the rhubarb no that?