The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

The belief is that with the recent signings that the price of D-men has been reset and won't be changed in the foreseeable future. EP is another story but let's say the extension of these two after the 3 year term is 9.5 Million (or a bit higher), Tampa seems to be managing 3 players at 9.5 Million pretty well (Kucherov, Vasilesky and Point) with some other players earning top dollar like Stamkos and Hedman. I don't see how this can't be replicated by the Canucks if let's say EP and Hughes both get 10 milion extensions. 

9.5 in Tampa is probably 11-11.5 in Vancouver.

Tampa is a terrible example to compare against when it comes to cap management. They have an advantage over many other states/provinces.

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

If we're still having this discussion when pre-season is finished, then I'll be worried like the rest of you.

Agreed, I’m not too stressed yet but I remember everyone saying “they’ll sign before training camp” then “they’ll sign before preseason starts” now it’s “they’ll sign before regular season starts for sure” so who knows at this point. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Agreed, I’m not too stressed yet but I remember everyone saying “they’ll sign before training camp” then “they’ll sign before preseason starts” now it’s “they’ll sign before regular season starts for sure” so who knows at this point. 

The reality is nobody knows and the so called CdC experts should not looking down others when they express theirs doubts. Until the opposite is proven  every opinions are legit. 

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

That's the exact kind of impatience their agent is trying to create.

We would have had 8 years with EP. If we can't build a contending team in that time then he deserves to walk if he chooses. I don't want to just kick this can down the road another 2-3 years. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, combover said:

I don’t believe Jb has a choice he can pretend to play hardball but bottom line his job is on the line. 

if your job was on the line would you go into a season without your two best players and fan favourites. 
Owners want to win, jbs traded away multiple 1st rounders so what his two best young superstars sit and he can ice a sub par line up and lose another season and his job. 

That picture seemed like a set up from the agent saying show your having fun and not worried about the contracts it’s a game and jbs job depends on these guys being here. 
the agents and entire league know this is Jim’s last chance season to put up or get out. 
capped out once again he can’t afford his team to do anything but win. 
Contracts are screwy this  summer most thought contracts would go down due to last year Covid and  flat cap but it’s been the opposite especially for high end young rfa  D. 
I just hope these two are in the line up sooner than later regardless of my dislike for JB losing sucks and we’ll be in tough without them. 

And this isn’t bashing JB for those that are over sensitive. 

There is always a choice.   Other teams might like his draft record, and the fact he's not relenting to outside pressure just to make this work.    Jim Benning is set for life.  And likely would get more work if he gets fired this year by not signing these guys if the asks are ridiculous, just like Nonis did, just like Burke did.    One could hope anyways, that this isn't just about the "saving his job".   Maybes he's a puppet maybe he isn't - but to start the off season anyways, not many were throwing out the numbers they are now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Were you of the same opinion when Bo and Brock did the same well into training camp?

I wasn't happy how long it took Bo or Brock to get done. But, that said, the situations have almost nothing in common.

Horvat signed before camp and Boeser, in addition to signing earlier than 40/43, had just gone through a major, life altering family event with his Father. 

Also, neither Bo or Brock teamed up with other teammates to try to strong-arm the team.

This time around has an entirely different smell to it. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Since we're all speculating here, here's what I think is happening today  ...

Somewhere in Michigan ...

Petey is sitting behind a huge mahogany desk, with his feet kicked up, chomping on a cigar. The room is smokey. 

In front of him on the other side of the desk sits his agent. Across the room, Hughes sits on a couch, tossing a football in the air, catching, tossing it again.

Petey, eyes darting to Hughes, then to his agent, removes the cigar from his mouth, blowing smoke across the desk.

"Here's what you're gonna do, see," he says, "You're gonna tell that Benning stiff, I want Marner money! Marner money, I tell ya!"

His agent gulps a silent breath. "I don't think that's possible, Boss! Benning isn't going to like that! They don't have that type of money!"

Petey removes his feet from the desk. Leams forward, butts his cigar out on the table. His eyes glaze over, technically dead but still animate in hold-out rage.

"You're going to get me Marner money if it's the last thing you do. No more of this wait and see stuff until next contract. I want to be paid. PAID. And the kid over there ..." he shoots Hughes a nod and a wink, "you're gonna get him Makar money! You hear me? Makar money! Capeesh!"

The agent eyes the two of them, back and forth. Sweating.

Hughes let's the football drop to the floor. He beams an awkward smile. Then nervous, rapid fire sidekick laughter.

"Yeah, yeah, Boss," he agrees, "Makar money! That's what I need. You tell him, Boss! I want Makar money in COLD HARD CASH!"

Petey presses a button on the desk. We hear a loud beep. He snaps his fingers. Smiles at Hughes.

The room door opens. In walks two 350lb twin men in suits. Heavies, huge guys in matching suits, straight out of a Scorsese flick. 

They walk over to the agent and each put a hand on his shoulder. 

This is what's happening right now. Guaranteed.

Leave some weed for the rest of us, eh?

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

tbh it doesn't matter if we sign EP to a 3 years 4 years 5years contract.. ppl here saying heck no to 4 years 5 years it'll walk him right to UFA.. guess what genius if he really doesnt want to be here it doesn't matter if you sign him to a 3 year deal or not. he can just choose arbitration in his last year to get a 1 year deal and gtfo. so just sign him to however many years and trade him down the line in his later years if necessary if u sense he wont' re-sign or whatever and just dont' give him any ntc nmc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

tbh it doesn't matter if we sign EP to a 3 years 4 years 5years contract.. ppl here saying heck no to 4 years 5 years it'll walk him right to UFA.. guess what genius if he really doesnt want to be here it doesn't matter if you sign him to a 3 year deal or not. he can just choose arbitration in his last year to get a 1 year deal and gtfo. so just sign him to however many years and trade him down the line in his later years if necessary if u sense he wont' re-sign or whatever and just dont' give him any ntc nmc.

thats a good point. A 3 year deal guarantees him walking in 4.  5 is better. 6 is ideal but that doesn't seem like thats going be a thing.

• Cheers 1