The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

13 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Watch this be like when Nylander held out till the very last minute and the leafs caved in

I don't think so. If these guys who "just want to win" hold out for the first few months of the season then I don't think the Canucks would cave at that point. If they do, they can go get overpaid somewhere else.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Watching OEL play last night makes me think of how good a match he is for EP’s game. He should be salivating to get back and play with him. 
The agent really just seems towant to walk him up to UFA and get him control ASAP. Doesn’t mean he wants out. 
That or waiting for all of Hamonic’s and Ferland’s cap hits to get out of the way to squeeze every cent out of Benning. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Many CDC members in August - “Starting to get worried about these two guys being signed in time for camp”

Smarmy CDC guys (you know who you are) - “Canucks fans are the worst, you are a bunch of toxic chicken littles!  I can tell the future and guarantee these guys will be signed soon and you all are panicking like idiots for nothing!!”

CDC posters in late September - “now getting worried about if these guys will have poor seasons due to missing camp and preseason…”

Smarmy dudes - (crickets)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

12 hours ago, Provost said:

How could this not have been a conversation before we signed him to a multi year contract…

Benning seems to have been taken off guard guaranteeing that Hamonic would be here for the start of camp and then getting pissed off when asked why that didn’t happen.

Maybe each new wave of Covid makes him more concerned for his daughter. And makes him question does he really need to do this?

35 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Watch this be like when Nylander held out till the very last minute and the leafs caved in

If the EP and QH contracts end up being like Nylander's and not Marner's the Canucks would be in good shape.

It's hard to tell who actually caved in that situation. People scoffed at Nylander's contract but he was arguable one of the best Laughs in the last playoffs.

It seems like a broader inflationary mindset/climate that plagues my grocery bills has infected NHL salary payouts and projections.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, -DLC- said:

I agree....at this point the only update worth hearing is "done deal".  Beyond that....it's basically just more "we're still dragging it out and there's nothing to see here".  It no longer pacifies to hear "soon" because there's no way to measure that.

I'd EXPECT that they ARE in talks....if not, then that's an update in itself.  

It'll get done...but my concern is that Petey's missed a lot of time and this doesn't serve him well.  He needs to be with the team if he wants to help it be a winning one.  I'm not as concerned about Quinn....Petey's my main concern.  He can't sign soon enough for me.

I don't want his agent to be able to use losses as leverage to prove his point....even though we iced an AHL lineup, losses don't look good to a guy who wants to win.  But the flip side, for me, is that we NEED him here to increase our odds in that and I hope he wants to be a difference maker.  I feel that these guys fared pretty well, considering.

I hope he sees some of the exciting new talent that's coming up the ranks and wants to jump in quickly and be part of that.  Rather than to settle in to the "idea" of a winning team that overlooks the prospect of what this team could be.  For anyone who loves the game, how could you not want to join the likes of Hoglander, Pods and bro Brock?  Bo, Miller, Demko, etc. etc.?  I mean, his BFF Brock's showing some great things and Petey should really be chomping at the bit right now to join in.  So time to quit talking and pick up a pen....

I agree, the time missed already from the previous season to now is a concern for Pettersson being up to speed in my eyes anyways. I also do not appreciate players missing camp in part or whole as it always time and again delays getting up to game speed initially and increases risk of injury or temporary burnout early on.

Understanding the business part of the game absolutely but the position both Pettersson and Hughes are in at this stage in their careers its a little frustrating and confusing that deals have not yet been reached. Both players being key figures for the organization moving forward I still feel its a leap of faith to throw $ 8 million + at either player right now so if there is any sort of holding out to see who blinks first on north of $ 8 million per that is disappointing to me, I realize these guys will be franchise types but they will earn a massive amount of fair market money over their career, players at this stage should not have such perceived leverage.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Watching OEL play last night makes me think of how good a match he is for EP’s game. He should be salivating to get back and play with him. 
The agent really just seems towant to walk him up to UFA and get him control ASAP. 

Then Petey needs to replace that scumbag with an agent who will negotiate like an adult.  Benning should under no circumstances let a subhuman piece of garbage try to sabotage the team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Provost said:

How could this not have been a conversation before we signed him to a multi year contract…

Benning seems to have been taken off guard guaranteeing that Hamonic would be here for the start of camp and then getting pissed off when asked why that didn’t happen.

It should've definitely been discussed - but to be fair, the 4th wave hadn't hit BC/Canada fully at that time nor was there the disturbing trend of the virus being spread and really damaging to the infant-5yo age group which it is now. 

I was getting quite frustrated towards EP and QH (and their agent)......but hearing about Hamonic, I'm now giving pause.  Hopefully the wait is to see if it's a short contract (with Hamonic in the lineup) or a longer contract (with Hamonic's money freed up).  The latter may require more money movement but it still may be relevant. 

Here's the big question for me - where are EP and QH today and tomorrow?  If they're still in the US, then my guess is this has nothing to do with Hamonic and they're not expecting a deal in the next few days.  If a couple of pending deal options are ready to go but based on Hamonic, I would expect them to be here by tomorrow in preparation for Friday.

12 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I agree, the time missed already from the previous season to now is a concern for Pettersson being up to speed in my eyes anyways. I also do not appreciate players missing camp in part or whole as it always time and again delays getting up to game speed initially and increases risk of injury or temporary burnout early on.

Understanding the business part of the game absolutely but the position both Pettersson and Hughes are in at this stage in their careers its a little frustrating and confusing that deals have not yet been reached. Both players being key figures for the organization moving forward I still feel its a leap of faith to throw $ 8 million + at either player right now so if there is any sort of holding out to see who blinks first on north of $ 8 million per that is disappointing to me, I realize these guys will be franchise types but they will earn a massive amount of fair market money over their career, players at this stage should not have such perceived leverage.

this has become a Mathews and Marner thing, it seems to be all about the money and who cares about the team.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

It should've definitely been discussed - but to be fair, the 4th wave hadn't hit BC/Canada fully at that time nor was there the disturbing trend of the virus being spread and really damaging to the infant-5yo age group which it is now. 

4th wave or not, COVID wasn't going away that quickly and there's still ongoing concerns of new variants given that only 33% of the world has been fully vaccinated (and those who have them will need boosters very soon).  No way Vancouver wanted a repeat of last season neither, so my best guess was that there was an expectation around the time of signing that vaccination would be a given.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

this has become a Mathews and Marner thing, it seems to be all about the money and who cares about the team.

well if that is the agent's mind set and the players are culpable to that to this point it is again very disappointing. You can't build a winner with all your cap going to two players and personally I would like to see another full season of Petey before going all in on him as after bursting onto the scene early on while still producing points his game was figured out by the opposition as the season(s) went on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

4th wave or not, COVID wasn't going away that quickly and there's still ongoing concerns of new variants given that only 33% of the world has been fully vaccinated (and those who have them will need boosters very soon).  No way Vancouver wanted a repeat of last season neither, so my best guess was that there was an expectation around the time of signing that vaccination would be a given.  

Players on American teams can get away with being unvaccinated. They will miss a number of games but should still be there for the majority. Canadian teams just can’t. They would miss a large number of road games. Is Hamonic worth having if he can only play Home games + Calgary and Edmonton road games. 
The answer is probably until a replacement can be found.

Not assuming anything here but based on current conversations. I won’t get into how foolish going unvaccinated is with a imunocompromised kid at home is. 
Ugh, got sucked back into COVID talk in the hockey forum. 

5 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Worst case scenario, sign Hughes to 8 years deal which invites other teams to offer sheet Pettersson. Take the picks.  Miller is the #1 centre. Problem solved. Move on. 

EP is our best player.  If it came down to it, dangling QH to NJ (or a team with a good D in return) would likely be the better way forward. Hopefully they both sign because alternative options are less desirable.

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

well if that is the agent's mind set and the players are culpable to that to this point it is again very disappointing. You can't build a winner with all your cap going to two players and personally I would like to see another full season of Petey before going all in on him as after bursting onto the scene early on while still producing points his game was figured out by the opposition as the season(s) went on.

I think EP is creative enough to keep morphing as needed but injuries are always my concern with an 8 year contract.

We were so lucky with the Sedins being so team-first and less concerned with money than winning in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

EP is our best player.  If it came down to it, dangling QH to NJ (or a team with a good D in return) would likely be the better way forward. Hopefully they both sign because alternative options are less desirable.

Spending too much on the team's best player has not worked out for many many teams in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Players on American teams can get away with being unvaccinated. They will miss a number of games but should still be there for the majority. Canadian teams just can’t. They would miss a large number of road games. Is Hamonic worth having if he can only play Home games + Calgary and Edmonton road games. 
The answer is probably until a replacement can be found.

Not assuming anything here but based on current conversations. I won’t get into how foolish going unvaccinated is with a imunocompromised kid at home is. 
Ugh, got sucked back into COVID talk in the hockey forum. 

I don't think JB would have signed him if it meant he was only available for some games.  

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I think EP is creative enough to keep morphing as needed but injuries are always my concern with an 8 year contract.

We were so lucky with the Sedins being so team-first and less concerned with money than winning in Vancouver.

My faulty recollection was that the Sedins also dragged out their contract extensions and Gillis had to see them personally to convince them that there was a plan to contend and they should accept the cap numbers. Long time ago, I can't remember the details.