The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

16 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

My faulty recollection was that the Sedins also dragged out their contract extensions and Gillis had to see them personally to convince them that there was a plan to contend and they should accept the cap numbers. Long time ago, I can't remember the details. 

Yeah there were in Sweden. I remember.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Many CDC members in August - “Starting to get worried about these two guys being signed in time for camp”

Smarmy CDC guys (you know who you are) - “Canucks fans are the worst, you are a bunch of toxic chicken littles!  I can tell the future and guarantee these guys will be signed soon and you all are panicking like idiots for nothing!!”

CDC posters in late September - “now getting worried about if these guys will have poor seasons due to missing camp and preseason…”

Smarmy dudes - (crickets)

Man. So cool of you to speak for a collection of others so they dont have to.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

My faulty recollection was that the Sedins also dragged out their contract extensions and Gillis had to see them personally to convince them that there was a plan to contend and they should accept the cap numbers. Long time ago, I can't remember the details. 

Yeah, 2009. The twins were days away from testing the July 1st free agency market and Gillis and Gilman flew to Sweden to speak with them directly. Got the deals done with maybe a day to spare (I think they met on Monday or Tuesday and free agency was Wednesday that week).

Interesting side note, J.P. Barry was the twins’ NA agent at that time (they also had a Swedish agent, if memory serves).

Barry was on the same flight as Gillis and they bumped into each other on the plane, much to the surprise of both.

Barry was also heading to Sweden, to prepare the twins for July 1st and hitting the open market.

30 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Worst case scenario, sign Hughes to 8 years deal which invites other teams to offer sheet Pettersson. Take the picks.  Miller is the #1 centre. Problem solved. Move on. 

I wouldn't say that's problem solved. Miller as a middle 6 C gives the Canucks a fantastic backbone. Miller as our number 1 is not where the Canucks need to be imo. I really like Miller, but I do not think he is qualified to be a 1C on a team pushing for the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Players on American teams can get away with being unvaccinated. They will miss a number of games but should still be there for the majority. Canadian teams just can’t. They would miss a large number of road games. Is Hamonic worth having if he can only play Home games + Calgary and Edmonton road games. 
The answer is probably until a replacement can be found.

Not assuming anything here but based on current conversations. I won’t get into how foolish going unvaccinated is with a imunocompromised kid at home is. 
Ugh, got sucked back into COVID talk in the hockey forum. 

Oh, no doubt he wouldn’t have signed him but the situation is what it is. 
Is it better having him for 50 games or zero?

Can you really trade a stay at home RD for another stay at home RD without taking a significant haircut?

We are Canucks fans, we don’t get perfect we need to make the best of the situation we are in now.
Even if he retires and we have the money, Jason Demers is the only UFA name of any significance still out there and his history with Canucks is not good. 

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I wouldn't say that's problem solved. Miller as a middle 6 C gives the Canucks a fantastic backbone. Miller as our number 1 is not where the Canucks need to be imo. I really like Miller, but I do not think he is qualified to be a 1C on a team pushing for the playoffs.

Certainly not ideal. It's like having William Karlsson as your #1 centre. However, overpaying top players has not helped any of the playoff teams except for Montreal. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Oh, no doubt he wouldn’t have signed him but the situation is what it is. 
Is it better having him for 50 games or zero?

Can you really trade a stay at home RD for another stay at home RD without taking a significant haircut?

We are Canucks fans, we don’t get perfect we need to make the best of the situation we are in now.
Even if he retires and we have the money, Jason Demers is the only UFA name of any significance still out there and his history with Canucks is not good. 

Zero if he's going to be such a bad teammate as to insist on not being vaccinated.  Suspend him without pay.

8 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Well it's not ideal - the team went on their best run last year without EP in the lineup - and QHs had negative value.   Negative value think about that.   Elder or Myers or probably even Rathbone could have padded their stats with 4 mins of first unit PP (which wasn't good even with QHs running it) ... 

Personally i'm not worried at all.   We've got a Vegas or St. Louis vibe right now - do it by committee.   Best contract value is usually found in the 4-6 range.   At this point i'm actually leaning towards bridging them both and make them earn their massive pay day.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Worst case scenario, sign Hughes to 8 years deal which invites other teams to offer sheet Pettersson. Take the picks.  Miller is the #1 centre. Problem solved. Move on. 

Would go the other way... EP 8 years and good bye QH... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Zero if he's going to be such a bad teammate as to insist on not being vaccinated.  Suspend him without pay.

He has a couple days to decide if he wants to opt out of season.

He could retire but seems unlikely, especially if rumours are true that he wants to be traded to US where he can get more games in. Do we call this COVID irony when unvaccinated person asks to go where the pandemic is worse?

I think if he chooses not to opt out of season, not to retire and not show up he can then be suspended as a no show but probably not until season starts. 

25 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This offseason is starting to go off the rails, Petey and Hughes not signed, Hamonic a ?, Motte and Sutter out likely. For a team that needs a hot start it is pretty troubling. Very concerned about the Canucks PK right now. 

I agree, it's tough to watch right now. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for TG and JB. 

We really need a few wins in these areas fast. Motte obviously is what it is. Wish him a speedy recovery. Sutter, same thing. 

But Hamonic, Hughes, Petey should figure it the f*&^ out and stop dragging the whole team through their BS and/or indecision.

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Would go the other way... EP 8 years and good bye QH... 

If something doesn't budge it might have to be that way. Call New Jersey up, we need Petey locked up long term. Petey can be offer sheeted, Hughes can not and has almost no bargaining power other than being tied to Petey.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well it's not ideal - the team went on their best run last year without EP in the lineup - and QHs had negative value.   Negative value think about that.   Elder or Myers or probably even Rathbone could have padded their stats with 4 mins of first unit PP (which wasn't good even with QHs running it) ... 

Personally i'm not worried at all.   We've got a Vegas or St. Louis vibe right now - do it by committee.   Best contract value is usually found in the 4-6 range.   At this point i'm actually leaning towards bridging them both and make them earn their massive pay day.   

agreed. too early for either to be getting the home-run contract.  also, bridge deal without any NMC or NTC so they don't handcuff the team down the road.  if they area as good as they obviously think they are, they can go for the gold plated contract in 3 years. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

No crickets from this Smarmy fan. 

I continue to believe that there are portions of this fanbase that are toxic at times.

It showed itself during the whole Juolevi bag skate drama, and it's showing up with Petey and Hughes. 

I've cited interviews with players and hockey ops personnel a few times already showing the impression people have of Canadian hockey markets and Vancouver in particular. I don't have a problem with a discussion board such as CDC talking about how these contract negotiations could impact the team's future and whatnot. I do have a problem when the comments start making unfounded personal attacks on players with no reputable sources to back it up. 

It ruins the image of Vancouver's hockey market, and I still believe it plays a factor into players' decisions to play here. Make the argument all you want about how "they shouldn't be here if they can't take the heat anyways," but when players are making decisions on the slimmest of margins on what team to play for and how much money to demand, there are many that would take a more quiet market or use the craziness of Vancouver as leverage to ask for more money. 

You can call today's young NHL stars "spoiled" or "entitled" all you want, but this is becoming the reality of the league. I'm not saying I endorse this, I'm just saying it's time to get with the times. As I've said before, this "entitlement" is NOTHING compared to the NFL and the NBA. Does this make me believe we should just give in and give Petey and Hughes $10+ million contracts? Absolutely not. What I'm saying is that their demands are probably more than what some of you are able to swallow because young stars like them and their agents know the market. Again, it's just the reality of today's NHL and Benning's job is to negotiate through that.

EDIT: if there's someone you want to blame for this outrageous RFA market, send that negative energy towards Dubas and Guerin for signing Marner and Kaprizov to those ridiculous contracts. 

Not all players are like our beloved Sedin twins. We were spoiled with their selflessness. 

But to be honest, some of you are just way too emotionally invested. Like many of you, the Canucks are a big part of my life and always will be - following the team since I was a kid was the first thing that made me feel like I fit into Canadian society as a visible minority, but damn, some of you need to chill it with the personal comments on these players. Go for a walk. 

And I'll offer you the same advice. Since all you seem capable of offering on this forum is admonishing the other members, maybe you should take a chillpill as well. 

• Upvote 2

The faster we dump Hamonic's contract the better since he won't get the vacc he doesn't deserve to play here. One fans oppinion but I bet I speak for the majority. 

The savings from him will help finish up the Petey Huggy contracts tomorrow morning if we move him tonight. 

IMO we have sufficient D to get rolling with and can fix any glaring issues before the deadline