The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Canucks are always a cap team. 

So for every dollar that these two are trying to squeeze out, they are taking a dollar away from the bottom of the lineup.  

They're making it pretty tough to cheer for them. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

So for every dollar that these two are trying to squeeze out, they are taking a dollar away from the bottom of the lineup.  

I'm a patient guy and don't turn on players easily, but the longer this goes, the less a part of the team these guys feel like. 

though unlikely, if it goes into the regular season, I feel like things might be irreparably soured, if not with the organization and their teammates, at least with the fans. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You wouldn't get BT straight up for Petey.  I love Petey, but people here have a very distorted vision of who he is and what he's done in the league.  He is not a superstar, not even close........yet

lol.. you are pumping BT tires way too much.. he's very physical.. an agitator with some offense capability.. but he's a liability in defense.. put his team on the penalty kill a lot.. +/- gotten worse every year he's been in the league.. i think ur vision of Petey is blinded by your annoyance with the contract negotiation and rumors of how much he's asking for etc etc.. no one is saying EP is a superstar right now.. but EP have a better chance of being a superstar in this league than BT will ever be lol.. BT will be a good player in this league but he'll never be close to ever becoming a super star..

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol.. you are pumping BT tires way too much.. he's very physical.. an agitator with some offense capability.. but he's a liability in defense.. put his team on the penalty kill a lot.. +/- gotten worse every year he's been in the league.. i think ur vision of Petey is blinded by your annoyance with the contract negotiation and rumors of how much he's asking for etc etc.. no one is saying EP is a superstar right now.. but EP have a better chance of being a superstar in this league than BT will ever be lol.. BT will be a good player in this league but he'll never be close to ever becoming a super star..

Not blinded at all.  I like Petey very much, but he hasn't proven a whole lot and, at this point, he's mostly a perimeter player

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Not blinded at all.  I like Petey very much, but he hasn't proven a whole lot and, at this point, he's mostly a perimeter player

and what have BT proven? and what does it matter if he's a perimeter player or not (he really isnt) when he's able to put the puck in the net? are you a lesser player because you score from the perimeter instead of having to drive to the net and fight for a goal? isn't that what miller is for? or does all 3 forward have to drive and crash the net and if it doesn't go in it's 3 on 2 the other way? 

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i think ur vision of Petey is blinded by your annoyance with the contract negotiation and rumors of how much he's asking for etc etc.

it's actually blinded by his compulsive need to go against the grain that he's exhibited unceasingly for the last 15 years. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

and what have BT proven? and what does it matter if he's a perimeter player or not (he really isnt) when he's able to put the puck in the net? are you a lesser player because you score from the perimeter instead of having to drive to the net and fight for a goal? isn't that what miller is for? or does all 3 forward have to drive and crash the net and if it doesn't go in it's 3 on 2 the other way? 

It’s a weak argument.

Like GMs actually value a player based on how close to the net they score their goals.

I could also post countless goals with Petey scoring in and around the net but we all know he scores from everywhere.

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

I'm not underestimating them - I just don't like them holding us hostage.

How do we know they are holding the team hostage?  For all we know there are two contracts written. One is for bridge deals for both and another for longer term based on Hamonic retiring or not…the players could be patiently waiting for the team to figure it’s end out and willing to return asap either way. The willingness to believe everything on the media or worse rumours on here is amazing. I will wait and see the end result before determining who the “bad guy” was in the negotiation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Nathan MacKinnon makes 6.3 million. Thats what you need to do if you want to play on a winning team, Petey.

The money Nate is making now, is what he was worth when he signed the deal.

It is only his growth, as a player, that has made the deal look so good, for the team.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is only his growth, as a player, that has made the deal look so good, for the team.

I dunno, Brady Tkachuk turning down 8 mil a season with his production still makes it look like a great deal at the time.

4 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

How do we know they are holding the team hostage?  For all we know there are two contracts written. One is for bridge deals for both and another for longer term based on Hamonic retiring or not…the players could be patiently waiting for the team to figure it’s end out and willing to return asap either way. The willingness to believe everything on the media or worse rumours on here is amazing. I will wait and see the end result before determining who the “bad guy” was in the negotiation. 

Well, for starters, it would be asinine for the Canucks to max their cap - leaves no room for improvement during the season then.  It would be great to have a couple of million or so in the bank.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Well, for starters, it would be asinine for the Canucks to max their cap - leaves no room for improvement during the season then.  It would be great to have a couple of million or so in the bank.

I'm going to disagree since then you are potentially missing out on the skill that could be in replace of that 2mil cap. I'd rather spend to the cap and have the team at full potential.

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I don't agree that Brady is worth more at this point, I sadly have to agree with the bolded. I think some people are still thinking of Petey as the guy from the first 20 or so games of his career before the league kinda figured him out. He doesn't carry the play nearly as much as an elite top line center does.

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s where Pettersson needs to put his money where his mouth is.

If he says he wants to be on a winning team that comes with taking a reasonable contract.

Teams with contracts that are 10+ million are not winning the cup.

The double edge sword is that he's the guy who drives the bus here.

So far he hasn't been able to stay healthy, and he looked off at the beginning of last year. 

If he doesn't think 7.5M x 3 is reasonable then the pressure is really going to be on him with whatever he gets. I hope their agents are advising both he & Hughes of this.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yes, thank you for making me feel sane... 

38 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm a patient guy and don't turn on players easily, but the longer this goes, the less a part of the team these guys feel like. 

though unlikely, if it goes into the regular season, I feel like things might be irreparably soured, if not with the organization and their teammates, at least with the fans. 

This is the kind of thing we won't really know until one of the guys eventually exits the org (hopefully years from now) and points back to this negotiation as a turning point. I don't think 40/43 realize what the true cost of this moment is for them, the org, and fans. Many/most will immediately forgive and forget but this is certainly the kind of thing that changes the dynamics.  

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well that’s where Pettersson needs to put his money where his mouth is.

If he says he wants to be on a winning team that comes with taking a reasonable contract.

Teams with contracts that are 10+ million are not winning the cup.

Petey wants it all. Massive personal pay day and all the trophies in his case. I wish he was taking advice from the Sedins instead of the Hughes', Tkachuks, and Jerry Maguire's worst nightmare.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

NM saying he wants to take a little under market on his next deal too shows the heart of a captain and someone actually willing to pay the price to help build a winner.