The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

6 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I'm just trying to figure out who the unvaccinated player is? Because Jim keeps saying we're trying to get everyone vaccinated, so who isn't?

He said at the presser that we will be a 100% vaccinated team. He didn't say that anyone was unvaccinated. People are making assumptions and speculating.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Why would ANYONE trade for Eichel, before he is healthy enough to play. I agree with Eichel, that he's probably better off with the disc replacement procedure, but there is zero guarantee that he will ever be able to play another game after that operation.

Even if we discount the fact that Pettersson may very well have a ceiling, well in excess of Eichel, Who in their right mind, would make that trade?

We traded Neely back in the 80's.  

:emot-parrot:

15 minutes ago, CR7 said:

I see you bit hard on the Media trolling about Hamonic not being Vaccinated. Did the Canucks or Hamonic come out and say he's not vaccinated? Not sure why everyone is so angry these days, calm down a little and just think logically. Don't listen to the media trolls and actually think...

Hamonic sat out the bubble over fears for his family.

Was convinced to play last season with all the protocols in place. Still managed to get Covid.

Hamonic sees the Covid numbers going up, travel going up and restrictions coming down. Do you maybe think he is actually concerned about his family again?

Don't be so quick to jump on the media train, they have proven time and time again they are unreliable 

Just wished he wouldn't of signed with all the uncertainty then. Would've been nice for the team to get a sense of where they actually were on D over the last couple months. 

Seems to me that signing and then simply not reporting is worse possible case for the organization. But maybe no one really cares about the org these days... Petey *cough* Quinn *cough*

OK, maybe I am a little angry. I'll take a 5 minute break... 

I think what hurts is guys like Tomas Hertl says he's willing to take a discount and the guy is 27 years old and a UFA this coming offseason.

The Mercury News' Curtis Pashelka reported Hertl cited former Sharks teammate Joe Thornton accepting less money to sign with good teams. “I like that idea,” he said. “You can go somewhere else, sign the maximum, even maybe too much, but you're losing for the next eight years.”

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

The faster we dump Hamonic's contract the better since he won't get the vacc he doesn't deserve to play here. One fans oppinion but I bet I speak for the majority. 

The savings from him will help finish up the Petey Huggy contracts tomorrow morning if we move him tonight. 

IMO we have sufficient D to get rolling with and can fix any glaring issues before the deadline

Yikes.   We don't have the information - for all we know his daughter is terminal and he won't risk exposing her.    We can wait and see what the concerns are.   Travelling around the NHL and bringing home a variant, which can happen vaccinated or not, could very easily be the reason for Hamonic opting out this season.    Makes more sense doesn't it? 

• Like 1

These negotiations are going nowhere and they seem to be an exercise of futility. Neither side is bending.  

Why not invoke an arbitration process where both sides agree for an independent adjudicator to decide their contracts? This is the best way to solve this impasse. 

Edited by grandmaster

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Considering McAvoy & Werenski it's not a bad starting point to push between 5 & 6 (from our POV). Dahlin has changed that now. 

Dahlin knows how to put up points AND defend.  QH fits only half that description.  Due to his size, he may always struggle in that department.  Not a apples to apples comparison. 

50 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

Just wished he wouldn't of signed with all the uncertainty then. Would've been nice for the team to get a sense of where they actually were on D over the last couple months. 

Seems to me that signing and then simply not reporting is worse possible case for the organization. But maybe no one really cares about the org these days... Petey *cough* Quinn *cough*

OK, maybe I am a little angry. I'll take a 5 minute break... 

I 100% agree, but in July things looked better than today... Decision has to be made by Friday

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

You wouldn't get BT straight up for Petey.  I love Petey, but people here have a very distorted vision of who he is and what he's done in the league.  He is not a superstar, not even close........yet

Lol.

If Petey isn’t even close to being a superstar than Tkachuk is light years away.

Pettersson is not only a center (which carries more value) he’s a better scorer, playmaker, and two way player.

Dorion makes that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Benning is immediately fired after.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

"Who in their right mind, would make that trade?"

Well, our GM at the time, really wasn't in his right mind. Boston would have made that trade straight up Pederson for Neely. Canucks decided they would throw in the 1st round pick to seal the deal.

:picard:

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol.

If Petey isn’t even close to being a superstar than Tkachuk is light years away.

Pettersson is not only a center (which carries more value) he’s a better scorer, playmaker, and two way player.

Dorion makes that deal every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Benning is immediately fired after.

This x 1000. 

People are seriously underselling Petterson (and Hughes for that matter). 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Petey flying down to Michigan implied this was going to be a tough negotiation that wouldn’t be settled right away.  I hope I’m wrong but I see both players missing regular season games.

What’s this Michigan thing?

10 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Petey flying down to Michigan implied this was going to be a tough negotiation that wouldn’t be settled right away.  I hope I’m wrong but I see both players missing regular season games.

Rumour has it Brady is heading back to Ottawa next week (take it with a grain of salt)

Hopefully with the boy band broken up Petey and Hughes can come to an agreement.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You wouldn't get BT straight up for Petey.  I love Petey, but people here have a very distorted vision of who he is and what he's done in the league.  He is not a superstar, not even close........yet

I agree and disagree. I agree that he hasn't shown that he's as rounded of a player as BT, and he will never have BT's truculence. However, I feel Petey is noticeably the more skilled of the two, and I've always believed that when in his prime and fully filled out that he will be a premier player in this league. In my opinion, he will be better than BT in the end. He might already be - but we haven't gotten to see him play for some time.

I disagree about whether or not we could get BT straight up. I think we could - I'm just not sure we'd want to. As much as I love the way BT plays, I just don't think he will end up putting up nearly the same amount of points. As great as being physical is, I think that aspect of a team can be filled throughout the lineup, whereas you need your top lines to score to find success.