The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd probably do two of those three deals, maybe all three.  I like Hughes, but he's not the elite dman people think he is, imo

He may not be an elite all-situations dman but he is one of the league’s most unique and exceptional talents who’s outstanding at what he does well. The first rounder you’d be getting is probably middle of the round or later, Boqvist has 11 points in 63 career games, and Holtz is a very good prospect but his numbers this past season weren’t anything to write home about. Admittedly, I can’t say I know anything more about his season than what I see on his stat lines. There needs to be one truly blue-chip piece coming back. Any trade with New Jersey would have to include Ty Smith, Jack Hughes, or Nico Hischier coming back in my opinion. I don’t see them parting with Hischier or Hughes. 

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He may not be an elite all-situations dman but he is one of the league’s most unique and exceptional talents who’s outstanding at what he does well. The first rounder you’d be getting is probably middle of the round or later, Boqvist has 11 points in 63 career games, and Holtz is a very good prospect but his numbers this past season weren’t anything to write home about. Admittedly, I can’t say I know anything more about his season than what I see on his stat lines. There needs to be one truly blue-chip piece coming back. Any trade with New Jersey would have to include Ty Smith, Jack Hughes, or Nico Hischier coming back in my opinion. I don’t see them parting with Hischier or Hughes. 

He is an excellent offensive dman, no one would dispute that.  I don't see NJ being a middle of the pack team next year, I think a 2022 first from them is a lottery pick.  Adding that, an elite level sniper in Holtz and another can't miss prospect would make Van a better team, imo.

It's all in fun anyway, it's not going to happen

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Though I think QH is an excellent offensive damn, I think all three Hughes brothers are very overrated.  All three together would not lead to any kind of dynasty, imo

I think you're right, i'm just thinking Benning could capitalize on NJD thinking that they will be building one. I'm a fan of Hughes but with the emergence of Rathbone i'd be comfortable with it. Especially if the return is juicy!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Exactly why I would want an overpayment from NJ.

QH is a young proven point getter (in 2 seasons).  The NJ top prospects (Holtz/Boqvist) are just that...prospects.   They can boom or bust.  And even if they make it to the NHL, they may not have the same impact as QH.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Exactly, you would have to think NJD is dealing from a position of weakness as they WANT quinn and not the other way around. There is no reason to make a trade, so Benning has all the bargaining power. You want Quinn so bad, then it will take something special. With all 3 brothers on a team you're handing them a potential dynasty team. You gotta pay premium for that IMO.

Just because all three Hughes are together how is that a dynasty?    The Stastny bro's were better and that didn't happen.   The Sedins too.   Staals...well Marc was super hyped by his brothers saying stuff like "he's the best one yet" etc.   I think, just like the Staals, it might be the same with the Hughes brothers - the best is ours and it goes from there.   Couldn't believe what some CDCers were willing to give to get Jack Hughes (or Kakko for that matter) and Dahlin for that matter.    We should just be happy we got the best of the bunch so far.   There won't ever be a twin group like the Sedins again, and for me at least, don't see the value in getting family members on the same team other then from an ownership thing just to sell tickets.   Not something that wins cups so far at least.   

If we really wanted LHs, before the draft we would have done something different right? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I think you're right, i'm just thinking Benning could capitalize on NJD thinking that they will be building one. I'm a fan of Hughes but with the emergence of Rathbone i'd be comfortable with it. Especially if the return is juicy!

Now your talking!  

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes i'm pretty sure your right.   Smith/Severson, Holtz , Boqvist and a 2022 1st for Hughes and Hamonic would be a fleecing.  

Agree,  if they thru in another 2nd/3rd round pick next year or 23 that would be the cherry on the cake and pull the trigger on it ASAP.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

people knocking down quinn's ceiling after his 2nd pro season, a season with about 12 asterisks next to it, is pretty funny. 

I think fans forget Quinn had more points in his rookie year than any other rookie - including forwards.  And that he set the rookie playoff scoring record for D.  Quinn could very easily be at least a point/game player this year.  We have a much improved team, and Quinn will benefit from that.  

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Though I think QH is an excellent offensive damn, I think all three Hughes brothers are very overrated.  All three together would not lead to any kind of dynasty, imo

Shhh.  I agree, but don't let the secret out.  I mean I like Hughes, a lot, and I want him to stay a Canuck, but if NJ wants to sell the farm to have all the Hughes in one basket, I say let them.  GCG!

any trade talk about QH or Petty is just rubbish . yes i know just summertime fun but get real . Petty is better at his age than either Henrik or Daniel were at the same age and not just by a little either . For those that don't remember or were not old enough to hear all the crap those two went though in their early years . I believe Petty will become the best player to ever put on a Canucks jersey [ I don't count Messier as he played like a street pylon when he was here , never left the Canucks end when he was in ED and NY but wouldn't go in it for the 18 mill he was getting while he played for Canucks ] .

QH already at his age is the most exciting defenseman to ever play for the Canucks and he will only get better . the only other Canuck players that have ever been as exciting to watch were Bure the Sedins and Linden in his youth and now Pettersson  so enjoy it 

whatever deals they sign at least 1/2 those on here will complain about something . I'm just happy that they are here and I can really enjoy Hockey again !

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully the holdup is that they’re trying to work on longer term deals.

Short bridge deals really shouldn’t take that long.

Maybe.   BB came right down to the wire.   Remember the CDC was trembling once it became obvious there wasn't money for a long term deal - turned out JB was right not to go there too wasn't it.   They were way way way off on that   .... first year a lot of trade BB threads lol.   Last year it died right out.  These guys are so young still.   Anyone happy we didn't trade BB and our first for Dumba? 

1 hour ago, Nurnge said:

any trade talk about QH or Petty is just rubbish . yes i know just summertime fun but get real . Petty is better at his age than either Henrik or Daniel were at the same age and not just by a little either . For those that don't remember or were not old enough to hear all the crap those two went though in their early years . I believe Petty will become the best player to ever put on a Canucks jersey [ I don't count Messier as he played like a street pylon when he was here , never left the Canucks end when he was in ED and NY but wouldn't go in it for the 18 mill he was getting while he played for Canucks ] .

QH already at his age is the most exciting defenseman to ever play for the Canucks and he will only get better . the only other Canuck players that have ever been as exciting to watch were Bure the Sedins and Linden in his youth and now Pettersson  so enjoy it 

whatever deals they sign at least 1/2 those on here will complain about something . I'm just happy that they are here and I can really enjoy Hockey again !

If EP played in their era i'm not so sure he would be.   Given his injury woes now, back then i think it would be a lot worse.  He falls over everytime contact is made but i do get your point.  Bure and Linden and Ronning were all very good at a young age, so was Nedved but he took a year longer.   Until they get signed this will be a subject, and Reinhardt ... so sorry we've had someone as exciting before.   But your absolutely correct.  BB,EP, QHs ... the only other time was Linden, Bure, Nedved and Ronning.