The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Just now, JM_ said:

Hunt is Biega with a good shot. Useful in short stints would be my guess at this point but not your everyday guy. As far as the OJ-Rathbone battle, that is pretty interesting. Green is really trying to see what he has with OJ on the PK, that aspect will decide it imo.

My thought on Hunt was exactly that, their new Biega

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Exactly.

I wish people would stop "deciding" that the team is "good or bad" based on individual games that are "good or bad".  All teams will lose games but it doesn't make them trash.  Ride the wave a little....seasons are long and so if you pack it in during preseason, you're probably doing it wrong.

I agree. This is why there's a preseason. Last night was basically a hockey game on the TV screen. \looking players we might not see again or for a while. I think the biggest notice for me was the lack of young drafted developing prospects in the Vancouver line up. The lines and the rest o the game were about what I expected. Not an intense game by any stretch.

6 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I agree. This is why there's a preseason. Last night was basically a hockey game on the TV screen. \looking players we might not see again or for a while. I think the biggest notice for me was the lack of young drafted developing prospects in the Vancouver line up. The lines and the rest o the game were about what I expected. Not an intense game by any stretch.

perhaps because their young, drafted prospects are all in their regular lineup

• Cheers 1

Mildy tepid takes on last night : 

• Bubble Demko is dead... long live DEMKO. Score sheet didn't do his first of the year performance justice
  • O.J Vs Rathbone - I think these are both good players with still a good amount of potential.  Better game for O.J for sure last night, while Bones struggled a bit more on both end of the ice against a very heavy CGY team.  O.J is a very smart player at both ends, great stick, good positioning and physical-ish. His failures look like they are around fitness and conditioning, as camp showed.  Had another super tanker turn moment last night where he got smoked wide by a flames prospect. Wonder if that's also why he has had so many injuries. If he could commit to that - i think he could develop into a 2nd pair guy yet - or maybe like Jake he wastes the potential.
  • Gadj - he has looked good, and like the player we hoped he would be - needs better linemates and D firing some quality shots in to really shine tho. Would be great to see him try out alongside Dicko with Huggy and OEL on D.
  • Centers - Miller was playing 40%, rest of the crew were absolute trash - that coupled with All bottom pair / AHL D was largely the reason our O-zone play was toothless. 
  • Podz - The Russian Lion looking more like the Russian kitten. Very un-noticable again, tho he had a few moments where u can see his class. His track record does show he plays his best when the games matter - so not worried - still think he will have a great year.
  • Highmore - Urghhh - worst player of the preseason for me - still giving me terrible flashbacks to last years 3rd./ 4th line horror show. With all the injuries already - 4th line could be a mess this year too. 
  • Garland - Only noticeable winger - hopefully not injured by the shot block. Love this kid already - well worth the price !! 
  • fLames - Could be better than I thought this year. Really starting to look like a Sutter team with lots of big ginders gooning it up everywhere. While few, the new additions looked like a good fit ( well apart from Badbrandson) and Johnny the Smurf looks like he's playing for that next contract already.  Gonna be hard to play against, as a lighter weight team. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

fLames - Could be better than I thought this year. Really starting to look like a Sutter team with lots of big ginders gooning it up everywhere. While few, the new additions looked like a good fit ( well apart from Badbrandson) and Johnny the Smurf looks like he's playing for that next contract already.  Gonna be hard to play against, as a lighter weight team. 

I agree.

Except I believe Guddy is a good fit too. He sent a message last night, using maybe the only skill he still has left, but a message the rest of the division will take note of none the less.

He's a tough hombre, one of the toughest in the league. 

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The style and systems the team plays are pretty easily identifiable as similar to last year. Which players are playing it is pretty much irrelevant in the preseason.

NHL coaches don’t change the fundamentals of how they want the team to play based on their preseason lineup. The preseason is where they see who best fits and can handle that style of play that they want.

Its pretty common sense actually. Coaches build the overall framework of how they want the team to play. The players execute on that framework. Preseason just means more players get a chance to find a role in it that they fit.

Unless Green is using the preseason to decide how he wants the team to actually play, there is no part of what I said that is not true.

I don’t see how that’s the case or common sense at all. You stated you’re disappointed with the systems we play when we’ve played 3 games. 2 of which we had the much more worse lineup and the other we had the better lineup. 

You need to explain and elaborate how you can determine that these are the exact same systems with the players we have out there. You need to explain why the how you can tell that with the difference in talent we’ve seen with the teams we faced. 

I don’t understand how you can make the judgment so quickly and be be disappointed if the systems we play when we haven’t seen an NHL lineup face another NHL lineup with these supposed systems. That to me seems like the best way to concretely determine how the systems are, when there’s a level playing feel and no handicap to either team due to talent differences in the lineups. 

Rather than me continuing questioning your reasoning perhaps you can explain your reasoning a bit more precisely. I’d rather understand your POV than go in circles like this. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree.

Except I believe Guddy is a good fit too. He sent a message last night, using maybe the only skill he still has left, but a message the rest of the division will take note of none the less.

except he goes down very easily when a 5foot eight inch guy appears to knocks him down

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mildy tepid takes on last night : 

• Bubble Demko is dead... long live DEMKO. Score sheet didn't do his first of the year performance justice
  • O.J Vs Rathbone - I think these are both good players with still a good amount of potential.  Better game for O.J for sure last night, while Bones struggled a bit more on both end of the ice against a very heavy CGY team.  O.J is a very smart player at both ends, great stick, good positioning and physical-ish. His failures look like they are around fitness and conditioning, as camp showed.  Had another super tanker turn moment last night where he got smoked wide by a flames prospect. Wonder if that's also why he has had so many injuries. If he could commit to that - i think he could develop into a 2nd pair guy yet - or maybe like Jake he wastes the potential.
  • Gadj - he has looked good, and like the player we hoped he would be - needs better linemates and D firing some quality shots in to really shine tho. Would be great to see him try out alongside Dicko with Huggy and OEL on D.
  • Centers - Miller was playing 40%, rest of the crew were absolute trash - that coupled with All bottom pair / AHL D was largely the reason our O-zone play was toothless. 
  • Podz - The Russian Lion looking more like the Russian kitten. Very un-noticable again, tho he had a few moments where u can see his class. His track record does show he plays his best when the games matter - so not worried - still think he will have a great year.
  • Highmore - Urghhh - worst player of the preseason for me - still giving me terrible flashbacks to last years 3rd./ 4th line horror show. With all the injuries already - 4th line could be a mess this year too. 
  • Garland - Only noticeable winger - hopefully not injured by the shot block. Love this kid already - well worth the price !! 
  • fLames - Could be better than I thought this year. Really starting to look like a Sutter team with lots of big ginders gooning it up everywhere. While few, the new additions looked like a good fit ( well apart from Badbrandson) and Johnny the Smurf looks like he's playing for that next contract already.  Gonna be hard to play against, as a lighter weight team. 

Demko made some huge saves. I think the bubble Demko is very much alive

Edited by Canucks-12

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree.

I'd have taken a chance on him, if he was willing to accept minimal minutes and the enforcers role.

7/8 D man or extra forward in a pinch, but not a regular player anymore.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

As a poster previously mentioned, I’d like to see Gadj get a shot as net front presence on PP2. Been a while since we had somebody with size and hands that can not only take that abuse but dish it out in that spot too, not to mention screen the G.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd have taken a chance on him, if he was willing to accept minimal minutes and the enforcers role.

7/8 D man or extra forward in a pinch, but not a regular player anymore.

Yep he has a place.

Despite his warts, his contract was the worst part about him when he was here.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

At this point I rather have Lockwood vs. Highmore. Also I like to have Chiasson too. A 4th line of Lockwood-Sutter-Motte would look good and have Chiasson as extra.

My opening lineup prediction:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickenson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Myers

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi-Rathbone

Schenn

Hamonic (absent)

Demko

Halak

For the 23 man roster

But if Motte and Sutter are no go, we can easily put in Gadj and Di Giuseppe, bumping Dickenson to 4C with Miller at 3C!! 

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

He did.

We have no answer for Guddy. If the Flames keep him from being a liability he will be a very useful tool for a grinder/tough team. 

Im sure they'll be happy with the PP opportunities will provide for them.

Just now, stawns said:

Guddys rough and tough but he takes a lot of penalties in the process.  If the Canucks can get back to being a top pp team that's how they'll deal with Guddy

Totally.

However, I did mention...'if the Flames keep him from being a liability'

I also dont have huge faith in the refs not continuing to 'game manage'. Seems regardless of team style, the penalties seem to even out.