The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Carey Price voluntarily entering the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, iwtl said:

I hope his camp doesn't make a statement as quite frankly it's none of anyone's business as to what the issue is.

I'm glad he is receiving help and wish well and privacy as he makes that journey. 

Try telling that to all the people who want an explanation on what is going on with Hamonic because apparently this is not the same to them since they keep demanding information on what is his "business." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Try telling that to all the people who want an explanation on what is going on with Hamonic because apparently this is not the same to them since they keep demanding information on what is his "business." 

And so long as it's healrh related it should apply equally to any person.

Any medical issue is between a doctor and a patient and they questions around the "why" are off limits in my opinion

Reason - answering the "why" discloses a diagnoses. Teams are only mandated to disclose injury status and nothing more.

The details provided are generally very limited not only to hide it from other teams but to protect the players privacy 

For any player if abd when an absence is no longer medically supported and a team suspends them ...... that's the only point at which we would have the right to know rhe "why" in my opinion

For mental health and addictions just getting someone to open up and seek help is dam near impossible....... if there is any concern over it going public it will keep people from opening up.

I agree with the canucks response on.hamonic ...... none of our business at this point 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

It is quite a different scenario.

Benning created a mess by guaranteeing that the player would be at camp.  Then said they are waiting to see if he was going to opt out.  Then got pissed off when people asked why he wasn't at camp.... even though he had guaranteed it days earlier.  

None of that has to do with the player himself.  The fact that it has been widely reported (and kind of confirmed) to be Covid protocol related also give ammunition for a player signing and then not reporting.

Montreal and Price (well his wife at least) made a statement about his absence with a basic outline of why he won't be playing for now.  That is all that should be reasonably expected.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Glad he feels he's able to take the time he needs, even though he had to know there are Habs fans who will go nuts. Really hope he finds the healing he needs.

For sure.  Every player should be able to access help as they need.  But I thought Price was recovering from surgery?  Is he better from the surgery and this (mental health?) time off isn't concurrent?  

Good for him, if players need the support they should absolutely take the time. There's more to life than our being able to see guys in the lineup, we've seen enough guys not get the support who haven't gotten to experience life after hockey. We've seen guys take their own lives post-hockey. Accessing supports can benefit everyone, whether it be for trauma, addiction, mental health, or something else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

I think Price went into major depression when Seattle didn’t take him in the expansion draft. Imagine getting ur hopes up that u finally get ur exit out of Montreal and it doesn’t happen. I really feel for they guy…

What a bad take.  He literally just went to the cup final and you act like he’s languishing in hell.  The truth of the matter is there’s no sense in speculating on what the issue is. He’s struggling snd he’s getting the help he needs 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I think Price went into major depression when Seattle didn’t take him in the expansion draft. Imagine getting ur hopes up that u finally get ur exit out of Montreal and it doesn’t happen. I really feel for they guy…

Montreal's actually a really great city with management that, for all its warts, has supported Drouin with his personal issues.  It's none of our business what's going on with Price unless he makes it our business.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Carey has certainly been one of my favorite non-Canuck players over the years and is a great BC guy and has been an excellent role model to many young people.

wish him  the best during this time and hope to see him back soon.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 10:08 PM, King Heffy said:

Montreal's actually a really great city with management that, for all its warts, has supported Drouin with his personal issues.  It's none of our business what's going on with Price unless he makes it our business.

But yet some fans won't give our own players the same respect. 

• Cheers 2