The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

3 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Better than losing Juolevi in waivers for nothing (optics, salary).  Juolevi had good hockey iq, but didn't strike me as a player with much grit to his game, notwithstanding his hit last year on Tkachuk.

True but then again that's what happened when you pick the worst player of the first 10 draft picks of the draft class 

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You're missing my point. Rathbone's game isn't as complete as you'd want it to be for the 6/7. Our question marks come from the back end. And given these said question marks, adding in Rathbone is an extremely risky and IMHO a short-sighted move.

Last year Green was leaning on Rathbone as a top 4 D, a Role he was clearly not ready for but had no choice because Edler was struggling there.  I agree Rathbone shouldn’t be playing in the top 4 so signing OEL was crucial.  That being said I think Rathbone with thrive if he plays with a stay at home D in the #5/6 slot.  Green’s system was a HUGE factor in keeping JR over OJ.  Green decided JR over OJ last year.  A lot of people couldn’t see it or didn’t want to but anyone watching Green’s post game interviews knew who he was leaning towards.  

I would rather have Rathbone develop in the AHL.  It takes at least 3 years for a D man to reach their potential unless you are a top 3 draft pick.

I think Rathbone will get better every day.  Go Boner Go.

The six game start to the season will be blessing to the Canucks.  Time to gell on and off the ice with so many new players.

And time away from the Canucks negative nellies. 

They better have a good road trip or CDC will be the airport upon their return with pitchforks and tiki torches.

Just now, combover said:

What with Mega super fantastic scout/gm 

impossible. (X2 jv) 

I think you should consider changing your username… pretty sure there’s no hair to combover at this point, not when you light it on fire in every other thread :p 

• Haha 1

Juolevi couldn't pivot, so he'd get beat wide with speed and strength as he didnt have a good enough stick to defend against his weakness.  I don't think he'll be able to more than a fringe NHLer, but time will tell I guess.  

He needs someone like Willie Mitchell to teach him how to defend.

Edited by amplified0ne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I would rather have Rathbone develop in the AHL.  It takes at least 3 years for a D man to reach their potential unless you are a top 3 draft pick.

QH, 7th overall (not top 3) jumped right into the NHL.

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And they made a mistake trusting his judgment.  Just because he is currently employed as an NHL coach doesn't mean he should be.  I wouldn't trust that idiot to judge whether or not he'll make a yellow light. 

That's your judgment though. He didn't win a lottery to get there, he earned his way. I don't know him of course but I do hear what people in the game say about him and it's all been positive. I see the wheels turning when he's talking to media and like how he resists being badgered into answering certain questions. Maybe we would understand him better if he did but at the same time it could be bad for the team. That's a good quality for a coach -- or GM for that matter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frank einstein said:

That's your judgment though. He didn't win a lottery to get there, he earned his way. I don't know him of course but I do hear what people in the game say about him and it's all been positive. I see the wheels turning when he's talking to media and like how he resists being badgered into answering certain questions. Maybe we would understand him better if he did but at the same time it could be bad for the team. That's a good quality for a coach -- or GM for that matter. 

Green played for Al Arbor too, so he likely learned a lot from a great coach.  Plus, Green played in the league in roles as a skilled guy and as a checker.  He understands the game on multiple levels, and knows what players need to do to be at their best, and how each guy needs to play to help the team win.  

If Demko plays like Bubble Boy Green will be looked at as a genius.  If Demko struggles Green is a goner.  

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol. That statement is as wishy washy as his play. Sorry, but there's not enough fire in that belly. 

Yup. And the fact that he’s had YEARS of experience in TG’s training camps yet he came in and allowed the “conditioning skate” destroy him like it did…make him appear unprofessional in fact…said a hell of a lot about him in my opinion. And just stop with the COVID excuse.  OJ himself said it wasn’t a factor and that he felt “great” in camp. And lots of Canuck players had COVID.

I hope he finds his game in Florida, as I hope Juulsen finds his game here. This was a classic trade in the vein of hoping a change of scenery can work wonders.

For OJ, not sure a lame hockey market like Florida is the thing to light a fire in his belly though. Hometown for Juulsen, maybe. But then there is the Jake thing. But well worth a try, I agree with Jimbo on that.

I think that may be my last post in which I mention Olli Juolevi.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1