The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Season Opener: Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 @ 7:00pm PT | Sportsnet Pacific, SN650

Rate this topic

Roger Neilsons Towel

17 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

But how about we give the team 10 games or so before we start calling for firings? Is that too much to ask? Having to wade through the FIRE GREEN stuff before his apparently “stupid” moves have even failed is….a bit much. And you Green haters sure tend to hang onto the past.

If Dowling pops a goal on PP2 tonight, I’ll be tracking you down you can be sure of that. :lol:

I don’t care about Dowling scoring a goal. I want the team to win a cup. We won’t come close with this soft of a lineup and Green’s style of play/coaching abilities. Get back to me in a couple of months. ;) I’m also saying this now so I don’t hear your guys “you’re just saying this cuz we lost” non sense. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Would have liked to see Schenn out there, at least we would have one person on the team dishing out some hits. I don't think the bottom pairing will be seeing many minutes either way.

My to do list:

1. Score first.

2. Play hard for 60 minutes

3. Keep out of the penalty box.

4. Try not to be so predictable on the power play

5. WIN

That's not asking too much is it?

lol, #1 is a huge ask considering how this team failed to score first all of last season and even the preseason.

#4 is a big ask. The coaches are doing their best to prevent players from have a dynamic powerplay.

14 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Agree that Schenn would bring some truculence and heft to the lineup. But truth be told, he’s looked borderline terrible in the pre-season, which surprised the hell out of me.

He looked like the rest of his old team mates in Tampa did last night. Slow and disinterested.

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Wasn’t Hoglander practicing on the 4th line too? Already in Greens doghouse?

Easily one of our most skilled/creative players and he’s not on the power play. Getting pretty tired of Green not utilizing his players properly and constantly getting outcoached. Remember Boeser as net front presence on the pp? :lol::picard:

So we lose Mac and Gadj and now are probably the softest team in the league. Good luck to Petey and Hughes playing a full season with the abuse they’re going to take. You would think with how small Hughes and Pettersson are you would try and toughen the team up a bit and get them some protection. 

Hoping Green gets canned early and Shaw takes over. 

I highly doubt Hoglander is in the doghouse. 

No harm in having him fill mottes role and I suspect once healthy we will see him back in the top 9.

As for the toughness with the instigator rule having unskilled players taking a spot is useless.

This isn't the 80-90s. How is having a guy like zac on the 4th line going to prevent Petey or Hughes from getting injured?

Do you actually believe that teams will not play physically because we have a tough guy playing 11 mins a night on a different line?

It makes no sense especially since any so-called retribution will happen after someone gets injured.

Christ people will go to any length to crap on TG.

Please show any stat that backs up your claim that a goon in the lineup prevents injuries, if anything it has the opposite effect since knowing Zac he would have done something stupid putting a target on our young stars.

Zac is absolutely useless and is a complete liability when he's on the ice.

How about we wait until the team loses and TG doesn't make the proper adjustments before the firing chants begin.

Every article or video I've seen from players and people around hockey all say the same thing, the players respect him, former and current other coaches and media all came to his defense last year when our resident drama queens wanted his head on a stick.

But I'm sure random posters have the same pedigree as those people.

Remember last week when those posters all said he was gonna give Petan preferable treatment? I wasn't aware that being the 13-14th player counted as that.

• Wat 4

1 hour ago, Conscience said:

Dowling at 31 years old has 4 goals in his entire NHL career and now is on our 2nd unit powerplay.

Green must really enjoy the early summers off

I’m assuming it’s to win face offs. We don’t really have anyone in that department left for powerplay 2 with Petey, Horvat, and Miller all on the first unit.

Didnt Sutter fill that role last season?

• Cheers 1

We should look at packaging Boeser & Myers in a trade for a right shot shut down D who can play top 4 minutes and compliment Hughes or OEL plus a top 6 forward who can fight. 

I would go after John Klingberg and Jamie Benn (approx. 13million cap) Dallas could get out of Jamies contract but they would have to take back some salary 

Myers + Boeser plus 2022 pick to get it done (approx. 12million cap) 

Its a bold move but it would give us a fighting chance at the playoffs by fixing out D and adding toughness up front. Jamie can hold other players accountable who take runs at Pettersson. 

After that will need to get one more veteran right shot D who can play a shutdown style with Rathbone. Ideally someone who can through mitts. I know he isnt the best defensively but someone like Robert Bortuzzo 

Benn Pettersson Hoglander

Pearson Horvat Garland 

Podkolzin Miller Chiasson 
Motte Dickenson Lammikko 

Dowling, Highmore

OEL Klingberg

Hughes Poolman

Rathbone ______

Hunt Schenn 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

1 hour ago, khay said:

Knowing this coaching staff, I wouldn't be surprised if it were for the faceoffs as you mentioned. :picard:

So winning a FO isn't important? Can't score if you don't have possession. Cuz gaining entry is so easy?

Man a lot of really terrible takes without one shred of evidence that it won't work.

• Upvote 1

Needless to say if our pk isn’t great tonight we have no chance.

We can play them to a draw 5 on 5 but if we allow them to get 2 or 3 (or more) on the powerplay it’s game over.

I would also say discipline is key but we all know that doesn’t matter. Refs will find a way to give Edmonton every ticky tacky penalty. Boosting McDavids stats is good for the NHL after all…

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Wasn’t Hoglander practicing on the 4th line too? Already in Greens doghouse?

Easily one of our most skilled/creative players and he’s not on the power play. Getting pretty tired of Green not utilizing his players properly and constantly getting outcoached. Remember Boeser as net front presence on the pp? :lol::picard:

So we lose Mac and Gadj and now are probably the softest team in the league. Good luck to Petey and Hughes playing a full season with the abuse they’re going to take. You would think with how small Hughes and Pettersson are you would try and toughen the team up a bit and get them some protection. 

Hoping Green gets canned early and Shaw takes over. 

I think it’s to get Hogz extra motivated early on. Light that fire that will keep him in the top 6 playing good minutes with smart hockey plays. He represented well enough in preseason I thought, but lacked something in his game.