The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Depth is Noteworthy

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think JB & TG might be on to something that many of us have missed(myself incl). Firstly, there might be adequate toughness amongst the troops, that we needn't b*tch about the loss of the muscle-depth. Bo, Myers, Schenn, et al..I get the sense that all guys are gonna buy-in to standing up for each other.

Was also impressed with the 2 tilts in Edm(pre s & reg). There IS a way this team might be positioned, that we(as a franchise) likely have never been before.

There might be adequate depth, that they can handle a ridiculous amount of injuries(say, 8-10 guys), yet still ice a competitive roster.

They've REALLY loaded up the farm. We should certainly appreciate the Aquas for this important, costly detail. As the ol' season-marathon slogs on, it could certainly be an ingred that pushes us past rivals. In an Olympic yr, some teams will wear down. Having 28-30 guys that can skate a competent NHL shift might well prove a big advantage.

Don't really think we should hope this, or that, star has a huge season. Would say this is the ideal yr to have a balanced attack, where hopefully Van constructs several lines that can positively influence a game. Should they fully utilize this apparent depth, the traditional(for Canucks) Jan/Feb malaise might be an obstacle avoided.

With all that has already(& will) occur in 2021-22, have to say this appears a great season to try & win with a complete team-approach. To just keep progressing with each passing month, might very well be their ultimate strategy here.

Thank the Aquas, nope.  They still made their money as most do, by profiting off of others.  That’s the motive and owning a hockey team isn’t philanthropist work for a landlord.  

it’s a toy or really involved mid life crisis.  I took to house building and diesel mechanics, cheaper and more practical, plus I really am a bad skater.  Thus I like to mimic Hasek while ‘falling’ a lot on the ice.  Lol.  

But they will make tons of money from Abby, tons.  It will also boost the success of the Canucks and then they stand to make even more money.  

It’s an long term capital upgrade to a business asset with tax write offs.  

the benefit to fans, it’s makes a better and bigger attachment to players and for prospects, being drafted by Vancouver alone might become a better indication of long term success.  

The biggest cost to this franchise over the last 50 or so years was very disappointing player development.  It was a massive contribution to the dismal draft record.  The shift was slow and started with MG, so better late than never is a way I would look at it.  

• Wat 1

54 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Thank the Aquas, nope.  They still made their money as most do, by profiting off of others.  That’s the motive and owning a hockey team isn’t philanthropist work for a landlord.  

it’s a toy or really involved mid life crisis.  I took to house building and diesel mechanics, cheaper and more practical, plus I really am a bad skater.  Thus I like to mimic Hasek while ‘falling’ a lot on the ice.  Lol.  

But they will make tons of money from Abby, tons.  It will also boost the success of the Canucks and then they stand to make even more money.  

the benefit to fans, it’s makes a better and bigger attachment to players and for prospects, being drafted by Vancouver alone might become a better indication of long term success.  

The biggest cost to this franchise over the last 50 or so years was very disappointing player development.  It was a massive contribution to the dismal draft record.  The shift was slow and started with MG, so better late than never is a way I would look at it.  

Theyre working to pay back the fellas in the old country.

This team is young and is going to grow together and get better.  The number of guys who played last night and have less than 100 NHL games played is ridiculous.

Rathbone 9, Burroughs 6, Demko 73, Highmore 92, Lammikko 85, Dowling 77, Hogz 57, Podz 1.

Add to that guys who have played over 100 games but are still 25 years old or under,  Petey, Boes, Hughes. Garland.

That's 12 out of 19 starters last night.

That is amazing!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I think JB & TG might be on to something that many of us have missed(myself incl). Firstly, there might be adequate toughness amongst the troops, that we needn't b*tch about the loss of the muscle-depth. Bo, Myers, Schenn, et al..I get the sense that all guys are gonna buy-in to standing up for each other.

Was also impressed with the 2 tilts in Edm(pre s & reg). There IS a way this team might be positioned, that we(as a franchise) likely have never been before.

There might be adequate depth, that they can handle a ridiculous amount of injuries(say, 8-10 guys), yet still ice a competitive roster.

They've REALLY loaded up the farm. We should certainly appreciate the Aquas for this important, costly detail. As the ol' season-marathon slogs on, it could certainly be an ingred that pushes us past rivals. In an Olympic yr, some teams will wear down. Having 28-30 guys that can skate a competent NHL shift might well prove a big advantage.

Don't really think we should hope this, or that, star has a huge season. Would say this is the ideal yr to have a balanced attack, where hopefully Van constructs several lines that can positively influence a game. Should they fully utilize this apparent depth, the traditional(for Canucks) Jan/Feb malaise might be an obstacle avoided.

With all that has already(& will) occur in 2021-22, have to say this appears a great season to try & win with a complete team-approach. To just keep progressing with each passing month, might very well be their ultimate strategy here.

Thanks for posting something positive.  I also like our depth.  Losing players like MacEwan and Gadjovich hurts a bit but it's really an indication of our organizational depth rather than major blunders made by management.  That's what it means to have depth, we have to let players go that might have made the team in other years.  It's weird, our team is really strong right now but the fans seem really weak, preferring to nitpick at the details and get angry for the sake of getting angry instead of supporting the team during these exciting times.  I guess they've been listening too much to the rotten media instead of thinking for themselves.  I think a lot of fans don't realize how hard it is to build a winning team and how close we are to having one.  I think we have a really strong shot at making the playoffs this year.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

I think our forward depth is very good.  Add in Motte and Boeser and we are in really good shape.  I'd also say Lockwood, DiGuiseppe, Petan could all slot in if things got worse.

I'd really like to see us add some more depth on D, on both sides.  Burroughs looked good last night, as did Rathbone, but I'm not as confident in Schenn/Hunt.  I'd love us to grab a guy like Cholowski, a big body with a high ceiling who is looking for a fresh start.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I dont think our depth is that great, we are having a tough time icing a full team of NHL'ers at the moment. We lost McEwen and Gadj this week which are huge blows to our depth call ups and toughness. If we can get Sutter, Motte, and Hamonic back things will be looking a lot better though.  

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Let me guess - you voted NDP? lol

• RoughGame 1

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They've REALLY loaded up the farm. We should certainly appreciate the Aquas for this important, costly detail.

Say what you will about FAG?

He & their family have never been shy about backing the team financially. Signed Matt Sundin. Spend to the cap every year.  Over the cap; buried players as early as Steven Reinprecht absorbing his cap to make the David Booth deal. Buried Baertschi, Sam Gagner. We signed Luongo to a $64 mill deal; in 2011 this was the single highest paid hockey player in the World! They want to do well.

Also made money; at times the Nucks have been rated by Forbes over a billion dollars. And at a peak I saw reports of profits as high as $50mill / annum. Not making that now the Canucks, at this  time...

The move to Abbotsford, once they bought the arena there also was inevitable. Moving backwards in history; my memory serves Brian Burke's very first Canuck deal, was to sign Paul Kariya's kid brother Steve. It was billed as building the franchise by making the minors team stronger.  I am not at all surprised that they pumped some money in to v good AHL players. A bit surprised some made the opening roster. Now we have full control over the AHL roster.  Hopefully it pays off!

Goalies Markstrom & Demko are the only real success stories developed in our minors system the past 10 years? Is my memory bad, am I missing someone important?  Tanev and Edler on D, Kesler, Hansen, Bieksa & Burrows were a long time ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

This team is young and is going to grow together and get better.  The number of guys who played last night and have less than 100 NHL games played is ridiculous.

Rathbone 9, Burroughs 6, Demko 73, Highmore 92, Lammikko 85, Dowling 77, Hogz 57, Podz 1.

Add to that guys who have played over 100 games but are still 25 years old or under,  Petey, Boes, Hughes. Garland.

That's 12 out of 19 starters last night.

That is amazing!

Yeah, the overall youth is something I'm also excited to see. Most of our late 20's/young 30's vet-stash appears on the blueline. I like this composition, preferring some experience on the D.

As guys like Dipietro, WL & Woo are shuffled in, over the next 2 seasons, we likely maintain an avg age of about 26. Certainly a nucleus that can grow together for several seasons.

47 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The move to Abbotsford, once they bought the arena there also was inevitable. Moving backwards in history; my memory serves Brian Burke's very first Canuck deal, was to sign Paul Kariya's kid brother Steve. It was billed as building the franchise by making the minors team stronger.  I am not at all surprised that they pumped some money in to v good AHL players. A bit surprised some made the opening roster. Now we have full control over the AHL roster.  Hopefully it pays off!

Goalies Markstrom & Demko are the only real success stories developed in our minors system the past 10 years? Is my memory bad, am I missing someone important?  Tanev and Edler on D, Kesler, Hansen, Bieksa & Burrows were a long time ago. 

Hey CS, can't say I track these matters closely, but appeared they signed a lotta' A-vets to 2-ways with a pretty high farm contract $. I don't know what % of pro teams go all-in to such degree? Sure can't forget the many whining posts I saw coming from a few Comets' faithful, lamenting poor GM'ing & depth, cost-cutting. Despite these shortcomings(the degree perhaps debatable?), the Comets always seemed to ice a competitive crew. Well, now ownership has fully committed in July, with an aggressive FA buying-spree.

For the 'tweener, fringe-NHL'er who hails from BC, Abby should be an appreciated landing spot. Being viewed in the valley, they'll have plenty of org-eyes on them. If a few of these types can contribute in-season over the coming yrs, you might see another Burrows story(or two).

But it's also a sorta pass on missing out of many(dealt away) or misguided, mid-to-late-rd draft picks. I mean, we coulda' drafted a Tucker Poolman type 6, 7 yrs ago with a late-rd pick(acquired by dealing away some malcontent vet). But what's the diff if we can summer-sign a number of these guys(for teams at both levels)?

Could say JB's 2014-2019 drafting patched over MG's glaring youth-gaffe(no young stars).

Now secondly, if he hits on enough 'modest' FA's(not stars), maybe he can patch up his own error, of not landing enough depth through drafting, and/or stockpiling enough extra 3rd-7th round picks(from trades) over that aforementioned 6 yr span.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:55 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

you know what. i think that having the AHL farm team in Abbotsford this year is going to give the Canucks such a huge advantage in terms of call ups and sending players down. They have literally cut down the travel time of bringing any players to the main team. It's literally just 45 min from Abby to Rogers Arena (ok, maybe a little more than that if there's traffic. But they could probably just helicopter a player from Abby to Downtown Vancouver, right?). 

And yeah, your right. The depth on this team on the Abby team, is crazy insane. It's inevitable that the Canucks are going to be faced with injuries, so loading up on Abby was super smart thing to do by Benning. 

Perhaps I'm a bit behind the times as I've been involved with other things (Baseball), but I can't say that I'm hugely impressed with all this talk regarding the "depth" which the team is supposed to have (or for pretty much any team which isn't stacked with high draft pick prospects who could step right in to the NHL - which the Canucks don't, or do they?).

Where does quantity of bottom-6 (more likely just 4th liners), and bottom pairing 7/8 d-men equal depth? 

They are a bunch of guys who would not normally be good enough to play in the NHL, no? Sure, some slack may be cut for prospects who are still developing, and are brought up for a few games (eg. Woo, Lockwood, DiPietro). I guess we're fine if someone on the 4th line or the #6/7 d-man gets injured, but how does this depth help should a top-6 forward, or a top-4 d-man is out for any length of time? 

regards,  G.