The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Charlie McAvoy 8 years

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

9.5 million per year for a player thats never had a full season or topped 32 points. Holy crackers.

He's a good player, but he's not Hedman.

I like McAvoy in general but $9.5M AAV is terribly high of an AAV.  His production is reasonably good but isn't exceptional.

If $9M+ is the new "standard" for a decent good young Dman, then at least some elements of the league seem to expect a major increase in the cap and/or significant increases in league revenue. 

While the Islanders are a traditionally "stingy" team, their cap numbers are generally more in line with what seems reasonable.  Pulock just re-signed for the same term but at more than $3M AAV less than McAvoy.  Pulock is 4-years older so that could account for some perceived lesser "value" but his contract is, if I'm not mistaken, covering all UFA years.  Pulock would presumably have been able to get much more on the open market.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

9.5 million per year for a player thats never had a full season or topped 32 points. Holy crackers.

He's a good player, but he's not Hedman.

That's not really accurate. What was he in pace for in the two Covid shortened seasons?  Guy's easily in the top 10 of D in the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Your point?

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Another star extended after a bridge contract.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hilarious...you realize this is his third deal and he's coming off a bridge that's, wait for it... Three years. Just like Pettersson.

You're like the king of ignorant/bad takes :lol:

Too bad they didn't sign him to 6 years initially like we did with Hughes. Their fans must be thinking... Must. Be. Nice.

A bunch of defensive posts that just might be worth 9.5M annually, also ...

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Some GM in the league with an internal cap:  "Ummm guys...I think the cap isn't really going up for awhile... can we just ...like... chill?"

Karlsson and Doughty already set the market price for top D like 3 years ago.