The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which draft bust hurt us the most ?

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guy wouldn’t work hard enough to even make the Panthers squad who were Arizona bad at the time.  You think a guy like Vigneault would play that guy?  Not a chance.  I never mentioned Ballard in the post your posting of mine so I’m not sure why you’re trying to shoehorn a point I never made,

Im not saying you said it. I am just saying that its how Grabner is viewed by this fanbase. And I don't think its quite right. I wanted to trade away Mason Raymond instead of Grabner. But Gilles was high on Raymond and invested a lot in him. In 2011, it would have been better to have Grabner than Raymond.

Grabner's highest earning contract was the one he signed with the Yotes. 3.3 million/3 years in 2016/17.  His Islanders deal was 3 million/5 years. He had the tools to be elite.

Yes he was available through FA. But once a player leaves the system, he's damaged goods compared to one that stays.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

9 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I know people like to point towards Virtanen and Juolevi picks but to me it is the gap between 2007-2012. That is 6 draft class where we produced virtually nothing to help the roster.

Two defensemen with each over 300 NHL games under their belts were drafted in those years.  One of those defenseman Gillis dealt for a complete waste of a player (and I think along with a draft pick) D. Roy.  Tanev was also signed as an undrafted prospect during that time period.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We could have developed him further and he would have been better for it. Same with Micheal Grabner who wasn't a bust either.

Hodgson should have never been playing hockey.  He had a rare hereditary condition where physical effort put him at risk of massive muscle breakdown and organ failure and ultimately death.  

12 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I know people like to point towards Virtanen and Juolevi picks but to me it is the gap between 2007-2012. That is 6 draft class where we produced virtually nothing to help the roster.

We had 2 presidents trophies and a SCF appearance in that time. So it wasn't all for not. We spent a lot of our suck capital on Virtanen and Juolevi.

11 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

What position did we draft in those years 

was it in the top ten? Top 5 ? 
How deep was the draft… 

missing  any picks in the top ten while rebuilding is far worse than missing in the 20-30 position. 

delarome is and was a terrible scout why he’s still employed after all the misses over the different gms is baffling. 
like greens power play bad. 

1 minute ago, combover said:

What position did we draft in those years 

was it in the top ten? Top 5 ? 
How deep was the draft… 

missing  any picks in the top ten while rebuilding is far worse than missing in the 20-30 position. 

delarome is and was a terrible scout why he’s still employed after all the misses over the different gms is baffling. 
like greens power play bad. 

Delorme was the scout that found EP!   That explains why he missed out on guys like Gallagher who played for the Vancouver Giants because he was in Sweden.:P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

And Sergachev, those two had NHL bodies ready to go. 

Chychrun had the body for it too, he was the one I was hoping the Canucks would take. It was weird as he was freefalling in the draft until the bizarre trade between Detroit and Arizona that saw them move up 4 places and get lumbered with Datsyuks cap hit. Not to forget the few spare parts and picks that moved too. I thought it was a bit of a shock. 

Arizona got what they wanted and he has turned out to be very good.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The entire 2014 first round.

Missed out on Pasta who was drafted right after McCann and there are a bunch of quality players between the Virtanen pick and the McCann pick.

Tampa beat everyone with Point in the 3rd round though. What a steal. 

If only Benning had a magic ball. We would had Ehlers, Pasta AND Point

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

:picard: That's why... Oh man. If Jake was the reason we drafted Juolevi then you are making a good case that Jake hurt the most.

And Jake was the good Canadian kid, low risk. Local boy.. He is making $800,000 US which is basically NHL league minimum. So its hard to tell if he had any serious offers from the NHL at league minimum. Maybe the KHL will fix him and Detroit will sign him in 2 years

The stupid local boy BS strategy made us draft bust 2 times and miss out on Ehlers and Tkachuk

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, khay said:

If I have to choose between the 3, Juolevi.

Hodgson wasn't going to push that team over the hump anyways.

Virtanen at least got few hundred games in for us.

If Juolevi panned out, then he would have been at least as good as Edler.

Can you imagine?

Hughes

OEL

young Edler

on our LD?

We don't need to trade for OEL if Juolevi plays like Edler.

Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone as LD

The real question is, would Hodgson, Juolevi or Virtanen have been picked if we left them?

I think Cody would have, he had high promise and did well in the brief NHL time he got with us.

I think Juolevi would have gone down the pecking order but picked around 10-15th.

Virtanen, I wonder, would have been left out of the top 10 easily. That was a stacked top 10 with lots of skilled players, many of the guys after him are now scoring at a 60-80 point pace. I think JB just wanted some grit, toughness and couldn't see the lack of skill underneath. The "hometown" special has to go because it's cost us good picks.

To be honest though, I think Hodgson was the right pick at the time, we just got unlucky with him and his attitude issues which are impossible to predict, especially given he was such a good leader and character at junior.

I defend the Juolevi pick because of the follow-through from the Virtanen pick - we didn't need a tough fast forward like Tkachuck because we were developing Virtanen, and at the time our defensive prospect pool was bare. Then we got unlucky with all of his injuries who nobody could predict.

Virtanen was the real mess and for me the only "wrong" pick. I was big on Nylander back then, imagine how different this team would look with him in our top 6. Big mistake and it's cost us.

50 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

If only Benning had a magic ball. We would had Ehlers, Pasta AND Point

Would probably effects the 2017 and on drafts though. Could be better or worse.

We would have a much different roster for sure.

Probably fare better if we had a crystal ball back in 2017 in the 2nd round and 4th round we could of had a player like Hague or Robertson instead of Lind. Batherson was a steal for the Sens as a late 4th.

Juolevi probably hurts us the most, considering there wasn’t  a consensus number one ranked defensemen, in the draft. We went with what many scouts deem the safest pick and it backfired.

Chychrun, Sergachev, and McAvoy were all ranked around each other and we literally picked the worse out of the four.

Edited by shiznak
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Chychrun had the body for it too, he was the one I was hoping the Canucks would take. It was weird as he was freefalling in the draft until the bizarre trade between Detroit and Arizona that saw them move up 4 places and get lumbered with Datsyuks cap hit. Not to forget the few spare parts and picks that moved too. I thought it was a bit of a shock. 

Arizona got what they wanted and he has turned out to be very good.

Yeah I remember him falling a lot that's why I let him off my wish list. 

Hindsight him and McVoy for sure. 

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Delorme was the scout that found EP!   That explains why he missed out on guys like Gallagher who played for the Vancouver Giants because he was in Sweden.:P

so your ok with Delorme  finding one player out of ten plus drafts. Lol

Delorme for over 20 years as a scout and was appointed chief amateur scout in 2000 . huh so how long was drafting bad for… head of amateur scouting from 2000-2015. 

Besides Judd bracket was in charge when ep was drafted delarome was when Jv and oj were and going back all the way to Burke. 
It’s no coincidence when he was replaced drafting improved. 

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't forget Stajanov ... but he sure worked out in the end didn't he? 

Got into a pretty serious car accident & had major shoulder injuries that I suspect shortened his career vs say a guy like Gaunce who didn’t do anything good enough to stick in the NHL.  Not saying Stajanov would’ve been anything more than a bottom six forward but he could skate very well and had size (and was willing to use that size).  In the end, Pat Quinn was able to flip him for Naslund so it turned out great for us in the end.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan