The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hirsch: "...the problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room..."

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Miller isn't getting his points selfishly either.... is Hirsh talking about Boeser maybe? does that explain why Brock has been bounced around so much?

Honestly tho, this is tiring. Green has to go, period.

Boeser isnt an alpha dog on the team, so no.  Hes talking about petey , milsy or bo.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hirsch hasn't done anything of relevance in his entire NHL career including his post hockey career.  Yet he goes on the radio and starts telling the fans that we should be trading our top scorer, send guys on big contracts to the minors and trade other guys for pennies on the dollar, all because they are not buying into Green's AHL system. 

Maybe Hirsch is the one who needs some help here...

Or, maybe Hirsch is exactly the guy to be offering these observations. He's played on a lot of teams for a lot of different coaches. He has seen what happens on successful and unsuccessful teams, what happens in the room for teams that buy in and teams that dont. I find that backup goalies are among the best observers of what's going on around them, what's happening on the bench and in the room, because they don't have to be as focused on themselves and their preparation. Whether or not he was a great goalie doesn't matter, most top coaches and GMs were not star players.

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Its interesting to me that whenever a young player starts to heat up Green staples them to the bench. 

Goldy scores..... Benched, 

Pod scores.....Benched

Hoglander scores.... Benched

Gadjovich lights up preseason..... waived

MacEwan KO's  Forbort sticking up for Hog, Obliterates Kassian..... waived

The list goes on and on. Vert da ferk It's like the Canucks org is intentionally sabotaging the team.

Dead. On.  

Something isnt right with this coaching staff and its beyond obvs.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hirsch is an idiot.  He needs to be weeded out.  Fire Hirsch!  

Shoot the messenger?

It is obvious that this team is not a cohesive unit. That can't all be on the coaching staff. These are supposed to be professional players who sould be capable of coming to the rink motivated and ready to play, problem is they are not.

Coaching is one problem but there's also obviously some individual player issues going on here.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hirsch: "The problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room.  

These guys don't buy into the system... one of the biggest alpha dogs in the room doesn't buy into it, and when he doesn't, nobody else does and that's leadership.  "

Very interesting comments from Hirsch, I recommend listening from the 2 minute mark to about the 4 minute mark.  Goes into Marky and Tanev leaving as well.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/ 

While I'm not sure if there's a locker room lift or not, I also echo Hirsch's sentiments that perhaps moving on from all four of Tanev, Stecher, Markstrom, and Toffoli was a mistake.  We were coming off a very impressive 2nd round finish and then we went ahead and got rid of four popular locker room guys like hanging onto a guy (Virtanen) that showed up to the bubble out of shape.  

The Arizona deal was ripe and juicy ready for the picking, but Benning became unrealistic as to what it would take to move his bad contracts.  He got greedy and didn't pull the trigger........which ultimately caused a mass exodus of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli.   

Demko and Podkolzin should have been used in that Arizona deal so that we could have gotten rid of Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel, Player Name, Gaudette and Virtanen.  In return, we should have gotten OEL, Garland, Kuemper, etc.

Since it was covid 2020, guys like Athanasiou and Hoffman could have been signed for pennises on the dollar and we could have made a legitimate run.  

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Hoglander-Athanasiou-Hoffman

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

Markstrom

Kuemper

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

?? We're talking about Miller here? Because I see Miller being quite engaged during plays. He basically stole the win vs NYR with 2 goals and he even did the Pre-game press con before vs Vegas and was pretty positive and even talks like Green's system (whatever that is... I think it's playing hard defensively, win puck battles and offensive chances will open?)

That's the thing...we don't know and Corey shouldn't have put this out there unless he was willing to go all the way and name names.  He's floundering around in this, like a floppy fish.

But I don't think it serves to help the situation any.  

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hirsch: "The problem isn't on the bench, the problem is in the locker room.  

These guys don't buy into the system... one of the biggest alpha dogs in the room doesn't buy into it, and when he doesn't, nobody else does and that's leadership.  "

Very interesting comments from Hirsch, I recommend listening from the 2 minute mark to about the 4 minute mark.  Goes into Marky and Tanev leaving as well.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/ 

The Hirsch interview seems to have disappeared into the ether.  That's 650 for ya

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, khay said:

I'm sure 34 more wins. 

Yeah, like his comments or not, can't discredit him because he only made the NHL to get just 34 wins.

Actually I can.  Because he hadn't mastered a winning formula so his observations may not be the winning formula for this team either. 

• Wat 2

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Well he hardly found his own success so I'm not counting on him to figure out what's wrong with this team.  His observations may not be what's wrong/right and are simply that...his own personal opinion.  

Again. teams often show frustration and vent during losing streaks.  Some even fight in practice.  It doesn't mean that removing players will automatically correct things - could be the opposite.  He was a guy who admittedly (and courageously) had issues in the room.  But he was supported and allowed to work through them.  Not sure him passing judgement on what happens in a locker room is fair, considering.

some of the best coaches have never played a single game in the NHL, while quite prominent stars failed as a coach. so i think it's fair to say, on-ice success rarely transitions into off-ice success. more than that, he was commenting on the players attitude, not on their performance, so his career numbers should mean even less in this situation.

and i think it's good on him calling out the players. mediocrity shouldn't be tolerated. i don't care who is on the bench, you give your 100% at all times, if not, you can go and play somewhere else. these entitled "stars" need a kick in the butt once in a while.

• Upvote 1

Just now, -DLC- said:

That's the thing...we don't know and Corey shouldn't have put this out there unless he was willing to go all the way and name names.  He's floundering around in this, like a floppy fish.

But I don't think it serves to help the situation any.  

Hirsch is in that room by invitation.  He’s not a player.  His making comments about the room would be like being invited to dinner and then telling everyone about all this negative stuff you think you saw in that house.  Really low class behaviour, and very disrespectful.