The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

NJ's swooping in with a serious offer next wk..Aug 4th, it'll be. Teams like Rags, Canes & Lousy Lou Lamo bumping up the price.

Bahl, Mercer & 2023 1st should do the job.

Our best chance to finally get that RHD we've needed for so long, so they better not leave out Severson!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

19 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I didn't set any expectations, they are the ones that were the media saying what they were going to do. I think they would do well to play their card closer to their chest.

there's too much information now about every player and team to expect that. Even on CDC we know a heck of a lot about where most teams are at. 

When I listened to JR, I didn't think he was talking about changing everything all at once. He has done a great job imo setting up a competent front office, bringing in a real quality coaching staff, good upgrades and extensions in the F group. I'm kind of surprised people are as disappointed as they seem to be. JR/PA are also not nearly as willing to throw good money after bad and burn picks to dump contracts, which has been a sore spot around here for a long time with Benning. 

Yes our d needs work but thats the hardest piece to fix, and there's still a lot of offseason to go. 

Edited by JM_

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

NJ's swooping in with a serious offer next wk..Aug 4th, it'll be. Teams like Rags, Canes & Lousy Lou Lamo bumping up the price.

Bahl, Mercer & 2023 1st should do the job.

I don’t understand why Bahl gets brought up on here so much…

Is it cause he’s huge? Or that he’s a local guy?

He’s just an average prospect. Certainly not an answer to our needs.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Our best chance to finally get that RHD we've needed for so long, so they better not leave out Severson!

Yeah..reasonable demand, I s'pose. Like to differentiate my prediction, as so many GM maneouvres come outa' the blue for everyone(w/hindsight).

So will also say they flip Garland for cheap youth, then use available cap $pace to sign Klingberg.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn't even offer Rathbone for Wilde, let alone Miller.  If there was a trade in the works it was either for Pulock or Dobson.  Small chance it was Mayfield, but NYI would have had to add Wahlstrom plus their 2023 1st round pick.  Maybe the 2022 1st round pick was on the table along with Wahlstrom and Mayfield and that is where the deal died and Lou traded the pick for Romanov.

I doubt it was Wilde either but there's really no chance that it was Pulock or Dobson. 

They were looking for Ds.  Lamoriello even explained that they weren't going to be able to draft the D they wanted in that range - that's why they gave up the pick to get Romanov.  

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Certainly it's a longg wait for these big boys to develop into the Chiarot, Edmundson types..at least this guy's a few yrs along the path. It takes quite a mix to build an epic D-core; at least we already have that ever-elusive, young superstar(locked in too).

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn't even offer Rathbone for Wilde, let alone Miller.  If there was a trade in the works it was either for Pulock or Dobson.  Small chance it was Mayfield, but NYI would have had to add Wahlstrom plus their 2023 1st round pick.  Maybe the 2022 1st round pick was on the table along with Wahlstrom and Mayfield and that is where the deal died and Lou traded the pick for Romanov.

If the return was Mayfield, Wahlstrom, and the 2022 1st, JR/PA should have taken it.  That's an excellent return.

That 1st could have been Nazar, Bichsel, Pickering, etc.

• Upvote 2

a lot of chatter about the value of wingers around the league and how they’ve lost all value.  This comes back to guys like Garland or Pearson.  Or even Miller if teams see him as a LW.

It’s certainly true right now with teams selling that position to clear space.. but long term I kind of doubt it.  

As an aside, it’s been a really weird offseason for valuation of players.  Tkachuk and Gaudreau are wingers as well.  Tkachuk returned a haul and Gaudreau - who is turning 29, has 2 PPG+ years but 2 sub PPG years in his last 4 seasons, is small, and has a career sub PPG in the playoffs, just went for a 7 year 10 mil per deal that people liked. I wouldn’t want him at a 10 x 7.

Our own GM just signed Mikhayev for a few K under what Garland makes.  Reviews were generally positive. I’d still think Garland is quite a bit more valuable. 

If their trade value is down, I don’t think wingers are signing for less - how much should Niederreiter make?  He’s an older career .5 PPG guy. Maybe more term. 

Marino, playing the most coveted position for a good price went for a song.  Multiple teams, especially our west, could have paid that price pretty easily.  Maybe teams just aren’t that high on the player himself.

There isn’t much of a pattern to lock on to.  A lot of teams are up against the cap - yes - but people are still paying up when they want their guy.  

My point? Now isn’t the time to rush and move a winger unless we have to.  A lot of wings traded for nothing were from teams that had to make space / were upgrading.  I think we’re perfectly fine holding right now and re-visiting at the deadline or next offseason - as teams graduate contracts through the flat cap era their value should bounce back.  In the meantime, it just takes one team to want a guy for a trade to land. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, HKSR said:

If the return was Mayfield, Wahlstrom, and the 2022 1st, JR/PA should have taken it.  That's an excellent return.

That 1st could have been Nazar, Bichsel, Pickering, etc.

Couldn’t have been the 22 first.  It was reported that the Habs’ GM said in an interview later that he knew before they selected Slafkoski that he had the Romanov deal done for pick 13. 

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

Toews/Kane might be traded this year as well.

Doesnt help the JTM market

If Calgary cant get Huberdeau signed it would be smart for them to move him at the TDL too...

• Cheers 1

@Deniro

I think Bahl gets brought up in JT trade talks for a couple reasons: Local kid who has size. He is not the key piece to the deal but he is a nice add if management thinks they can help Bahl become an NHL player. The hope also is that because of his size he would use it to impose his will on players when in our D zone.

The main piece coming back should be a RHD or a young C. I would be willing to add someone like Hoglander to a JT Miller trade if it got the Canucks a better return.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Big and he knows how to use his size.  I love his style and think we could use a guy like him for the third pairing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

I just polished off a bag of Miss Vickie's Salt and Vinegar chips so this thread hitting 1000 pages is no longer the highlight of my day.

Now can we get a trade? Like, anyone? I need new reading material and something to get excited/mad about.

Training camp can't come soon enough! I miss hockey.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2