The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

Seems implied in many comments. 'core isn't ready' stuff. No one knows when peak Petey is e.g. Maybe we've seen it, maybe he's a 0.9 ppg player. Maybe he's never a good face off guy, maybe he needs a Miller on his wing. Lots of moving parts. 

F group seems ready. Demko seems ready. OEL and Hughes are ready. We're missing two legit top 4 d, but cap space for that is coming in the next 2 years. Maybe one comes via training Garland, e.g. 

Well, I think we have to be realistic about where they are at and that once a team becomes a regular playoff team it usually takes 3-4 runs before good teams start to become real contenders.  I'd say a realistic contending window is still 4 years away, at least

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, I think we have to be realistic about where they are at and that once a team becomes a regular playoff team it usually takes 3-4 runs before good teams start to become real contenders.  I'd say a realistic contending window is still 4 years away, at least

that seems a bit long to me. Demko is clearly ready. Miller has 78 games. Bo et al  have at least had the bubble run. I could see two years being enough to gel and that times out nicely with some cap being freed up. 

Guys like Rathbone and Podz could really benefit from it this year. 

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that seems a bit long to me. Demko is clearly ready. Miller has 78 games. Bo et al  have at least had the bubble run. I could see two years being enough to gel and that times out nicely with some cap being freed up. 

Guys like Rathbone and Podz could really benefit from it this year. 

I think it'll be at least two years to get out of being a bubble playoff team, them 2-3 of 1st and second round exits before they get to legit contender status.........that's the path most teams have to take.  Obviously you get a Cinderella run in there once in a blue moon, bit those are big outliers

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it'll be at least two years to get out of being a bubble playoff team, them 2-3 of 1st and second round exits before they get to legit contender status.........that's the path most teams have to take.  Obviously you get a Cinderella run in there once in a blue moon, bit those are big outliers

yeah could be. Have to get their first to find out. 

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Sometimes the best thing to do is admit you're wrong rather than try to justify an untenable stance. It's staring you right in the face, so there's no point tip toeing around this. They aren't not going to let him walk for nothing; they may not get a good return for him, but it'll be better than zero. 

Not aimed at you @IBatch but @Jester13 laid the groundwork for this:

811B2FF0-525F-4C0C-8F9C-E422E8794825.jpeg

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

But the Leafs are contenders every year and they haven’t made it out of the first round since…. I can’t remember 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

No we aren't.   It's a pickle aGENT.    Right now we should be in the early part of our prime cap place "contending window"... we kind of are ok but we both know it's not enough.   I think maybe we should get off the Miller stuff and go to the Brock stuff lol.    Miller .. fine for 6 years i'm cool with that but not at much over 8.     Add some tax stuff we are over 9.... so ... back to the big pickle that I won't stop bringing up until any CAN team wins a cup.    Miller is important but his importance has gone a little out of whack on this thread.    Maybe we can all have a good laugh one day (let's hope so!) and it becomes the new "Burrows do we really need him?! " thread.      Hard not to like the way he plays and the guy personally isn't it?  

Ugh...dog days of summer.  What a slog. 

Nah...IMO we had a bit of a "mini-window" there with Pettersson et al on their entry deals, and Benning brought in solid support vets to see where they could get to. Got the one decent bubble run out of that. 

There was always likely going to be a bit of a reload here as we now transition to the young core, leading the way, entering their primes. Precisely the time when we should be selling off vets of any value, that won't be major contributors to that window, as they're expiring, for pieces that can be useful during their upcoming window. *Ahem* Miller *Ahem*

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I read this article too, when it came out... so what he said was "i don't see any urgency to trade him until the deadline".. pretty much a normal chat about any future UFA from any GM ... pretty generic.  Don't think this is, or should we take this as the gospel of what happens with Miller.   You also have to consider these were sound bites taken from a discussion, if we don't have the context it's kind of silly isn't it?   Question:  Are you willing to trade Miller and if so when would you do it "  we have to get the best return we can" "there is no urgency until the trade deadline".    Aren't these automatics? 

Here's the article:  Again what else is supposed to say.   It's going to be pretty fluid until it isn't anymore:

Canucks won't feel pressure to deal Miller until 2023 NHL Trade Deadline

Would 'have to get the best return we can' if they can't re-sign forward, Vancouver president says

by Kevin Woodley / NHL.com Independent Correspondent
 July 15, 2022
cut.jpg

The Vancouver Canucks won't feel pressure to trade forward J.T. Miller until the 2023 NHL Trade Deadline approaches, president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford said Friday.

Speaking on "Donnie & Dhali -- The Team" on CHEK television, Rutherford pushed back on the idea of growing impatience surrounding the future of Miller, who led the Canucks in points (99) and assists (67) and tied Elias Pettersson for the Vancouver lead in goals (32) last season. The 29-year-old can become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

Rutherford said the Canucks are trying to re-sign him but said it won't be easy to match Miller's contract expectations.

"I'll state the obvious: It can go two ways," Rutherford said. "We can come to an agreement and keep him and we have a very good player. That's always difficult to do when a player is heading to free agency within a year and he's got really good numbers, so of course what the player is expecting in the way of a contract compared to the team is usually different."

If the sides can't agree on a contract, Rutherford said the Canucks will trade Miller, but there wouldn't be pressure to do so for a while.

"If [trying to sign him] doesn't work, we have to get the best return we can for him," Rutherford said. "But I think when the impatience should come on J.T. Miller is when we get closer to the trade deadline, and if we don't have him signed at that point, making sure that we get a return for him. But I don't see where there's any urgency until we get to the trade deadline."

cut.jpg

Top 5 J.T. Miller Plays from the 2021-22 Season

• 02:05 • July 5th, 2022

The Canucks improved their forward depth, speed and penalty-killing with the free agent additions Wednesday of Ilya Mikheyev, who signed a four-year contract; Curtis Lazar, who agreed to a three-year contract; Andrei Kuzmenko, who signed a one-year contract; and Dakota Joshua, who agreed to a two-year contract (financial terms not disclosed). But they hope to bolster a defenseman group that remains unchanged from last season, when Vancouver (40-30-12) missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the sixth time in seven seasons.

Besides adding help at defenseman, Rutherford has talked about wanting to create more space under the NHL salary cap, and both could be accomplished by trading Miller, whose contract has an average annual value of $5.25 million. Since being acquired in a trade with the Tampa Bay Lightning on June 22, 2019, Miller leads Vancouver in goals (74) and points (217) and is tied with defenseman Quinn Hughes for the team lead in assists (143).

Because of the term left on his contract, he has been mentioned in trade rumors since the lead-up to the 2022 NHL Trade Deadline on March 21.

"What are they impatient about?" Rutherford said when asked about concerns that the sides haven't agreed on a contract. "We have our best forward we still have in our lineup. What's the impatience for?"

On Wednesday, when the free agent market opened, Canucks general manager Patrik Allvin said they would be happy to have Miller to start the season.

"Well, I didn't get any calls today," Allvin said. "Hey, he was our best player last year. I think Jim mentioned there has been teams kicking tires, checking in. It hasn't gone much further than that. We're really excited to have J.T. here for another year. I believe he's excited and ready to come back, and who knows, anything could happen over the next couple of weeks, months, but we're happy to have him back."

The Canucks are facing a similar situation with center Bo Horvat, who can become an unrestricted free agent after this season and whose contract has an AAV of $5.5 million. But Rutherford sounded more optimistic about getting an extension done with him.

"These things will pick up with some of the guys we're trying to get signed like Horvat now that we're through the [2022 Upper Deck NHL] Draft, through the initial part of free agency, but clearly he's a guy we want to be with the Canucks for a long time." Rutherford said. "He's the captain of the team. This should be his team going forward, and hopefully we can get something done sooner than later."

Edit:  Read what NHL.com wrote... "they will trade Miller"

Because JR said "we'd have to get the best return for him".   Also if you've played poker well he's doing that.   He's setting boundaries.  In the media.   As well as letting the team and Miller know to expect changes possibly.    I can paste some articles too, on why Miller won't get traded if it isn't before the season starts if you like, 

‘when we get closer to the trade deadline, and if we don't have him signed at that point, making sure that we get a return for him.” Seems pretty clear from this quote that they won’t let him walk for nothing.

• Cheers 4

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Can we? I know Columbus was bent over a barrel but a player with similar numbers in Bjorkstrand was essentially dumped for cap space.

I took a look at the numbers and to my calculations 99 points to 57 are a tad unsimilar, no? I no we don't want to pay the man what he thinks he is worth but comparing him to Bjorkstrand, that is just plain cocoNUTS ;)

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I took a look at the numbers and to my calculations 99 points to 57 are a tad unsimilar, no? I no we don't want to pay the man what he thinks he is worth but comparing him to Bjorkstrand, that is just plain cocoNUTS ;)

Umm... He was taking about Garland... :blink:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Garland had 52 points as a similarly aged winger

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

‘when we get closer to the trade deadline, and if we don't have him signed at that point, making sure that we get a return for him.” Seems pretty clear from this quote that they won’t let him walk for nothing.

Sounds like they would just settle for anything they can get at that point. I would not be surprised if the return was low. 

This fan base would lose their bananas if the return wasn’t great for Miller. 

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sounds like they would just settle for anything they can get at that point. I would not be surprised if the return was low. 

Will more bananas be lost over a less than stellar return at the TDL, or JT going to another team in FA?

Honest question, I think that is where we are at now.

31 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Contenders want to add to win the cup. Adding a JT Miller at a very reasonable and flexible cap hit (which could also be retained) for a contending team is huge.

Even the best teams who are pushed to the cap limit could add him if they unload dead weight, paying an even higher premium.

I have zero issues with us waiting till the TDL. Teams are more desperate then than any other time of the year IMO. The groundwork of the season has been laid and there is usually a clear picture of who'll be in the final 16. Only risk we are running is a serious injury to Miller.

Still I'm hoping for a 8.3mx6 deal.

Kadri is signing a 7x7 deal that takes him to age 38 with inferior numbers than Miller.

LMAO at people that think Miller is signing a 6 year deal under $8 million...

Kadri's last 3 years with Colorado - 0.87 PPG

Miller's last 3 years with Vancouver - 1.07 PPG

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah teams never get anything for players at the TDL...

smile-nick-offerman.gif

• Haha 2