The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

my guess is NYI get JT+ something and Canucks receive Beauviller, Mayfield (extended) and Raty/20231st

The hope is JT signs a 6yr deal worth 8.5-8.75m, unlikely but one can hope!

Moving a 1st to sign Kadri was too expensive for them but somehow they are now going to give up even more assets to acquire Miller?  Lamoriello knows Kadri well from their time in Toronto.

Really doubt Miller gets moved until closer to the deadline at this point.

They've taken the risk of holding onto him for now and I can't see that changing.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we get a resolution of extension before the season but I don't see how trading him for futures at THIS EXACT point in time is the right move.

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Weird- got a notification that Deb quoted me, but see nothing quoted.

Either a glitch or something got erased/deleted after the notification, I guess?

Yet that doesn't show up as edited either.

Mod powers work in mysterious ways?

:towel:

I did, but then deleted it. I'd just quoted someone else too and didn't want to spam with multiple posts in a row.

You're all clear...believe it or not, Deb has nothing to say (for once/momentarily) :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

So who's going to fill in for him and all those missing points?

Atleast our new management planned ahead with the mikky and kuz signings. If we do end up taking the trade Miller route, We do have a couple guys to atleast eat up a bunch of those missing points!

Much better than Mr. No plan haha

• Cheers 2

So Kadri is off the market and provides another relevant contract data point, one that is lower than Zibanejad, Forsberg or Hertl.  But it doesn't create any more cap space around the league, or start off an arms race where a competitive team falls behind its rivals as "has" to get JT.  I'm not sure this brings us any closer to a re-signing or a trade, but I'd love to be wrong.

41 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

8×8 is what I think gets JT done. UFA he would need 9 million and not sure there will be a team that is a contender and had cap space.

This deal shows 8 years is not nuts imo.

34 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You're big on selling JT to others. Now suddenly he's "younger" (than) and better...which sells his case here, too. FTR, Kadri's ppg is almost identical to JT's last season.

Not suddenly. He is younger than Kadri :lol: How are you even attempting to debate this? :lol:

You do both realize that Calgary is in a far different position as a team than Vancouver, right? Yup do grasp that teams have cycles of contention and rebuilding and that they are in the middle end of their window, and we're JUST entering ours in a year or two?

And you don't know his ask or his settling price. As he sees other options unfold, it factors in. You don't ask and just stay put....things evolve as the situation changes.

You're hilarious :lol: ..... you can't say "he is or is not" or think/speak for him. 

We have contract comparables, his agent's comments, managements comments and his comments. Anyone without some +/- idea of what his likely contract ask is at this point, is being willfully ignorant.

Look, I'm well aware there's a very good possibility he goes elsewhere....but there's also a chance that he ends up staying and that's worth considering. Some feel it's written in the sand but it's not.

There's a chance i win the lottery this weekend too. But I'm not buying a Lambo today because I think that might happen.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Kadri's deal is so bad but it helps us steal Miller at around 8x8. So thank you Treliving for being such an abysmal GM, the gift that keeps on giving. 

Miller at 8x8 IS a steal, -For the Miller family.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Miller at 8x8 IS a steal, -For the Miller family.

Agree to disagree. 29 yo Center PWF who wins 55% of his faceoffs, plays the right way, PK, PP, leadership, and scored 30+ more points than any other player on his team.... If he had 1-2 more seasons at that calibre of offensive output, we'd easily be looking at around 9.5 imo

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Just because I didn't agree with you? I thought I was quite civil and clear in my wording but that's your perogative. I don't put people on ignore just because we have differing opinions, that's what the forum is for isn't it?

I'm totally joking I enjoy our little debates but like you say 'Your view may very well be the correct one', and at this point I'd rather actually just see which view is correct and actually just get behind the team whatever choice is made.

I don't really see it as a step back more so just correcting the mistaken fundamentals before we move on. Your way is definitely more exciting in the short term for sure.

yep I'm enjoying the yap as well. 

At the end of the day I just want to see a good team. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Kadri's deal is so bad but it helps us steal Miller at around 8x8. So thank you Treliving for being such an abysmal GM, the gift that keeps on giving. 

The rumors were that we were offering low 40's while Miller wanted closer to 60.  Now signing him for 64 is a steal?

Lol!  If that's the case then bye bye JT!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Agree to disagree. 29 yo Center PWF who wins 55% of his faceoffs, plays the right way, PK, PP, leadership, and scored 30+ more points than any other player on his team.... If he had 1-2 more seasons at that calibre of offensive output, we'd easily be looking at around 9.5 imo

8 is ok for a 29 year old guy 

8 is not ok for what a 35, 36,37 and 38 yr old guy brings.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

8x8 for Miller would make him one of the better contracts for elite players in the league today. 

If the price is going up rather than down and a deal was already difficult to make then I am fairly confident that he's leaving.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

8 is ok for a 29 year old guy 

8 is not ok for what a 35, 36,37 and 38 yr old guy brings.

Well calgary just signed 2 32 year olds to 7 and 8 year deals and the majority think that that GM is doing a FANTASTIC job!

Miller is worth it. Best talent we've had on the club since 2011.

• Upvote 1