The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

23 minutes ago, Nave said:

He's small, yeah, but I don't think he's as soft as people are saying. He plays on the PK and blocks shots. 

And the PP as well. He has two PP goals in two years, yikes.

It's not that he's small, he literally scrared of contact. Real easy to get him off his game. This has been this fan bases complaint about our team for years so not sure how adding Marner makes us better. 

Edited by rekker

20 minutes ago, rekker said:

And the PP as well. He has two PP goals in two years, yikes.

It's not that he's small, he literally scrared of contact. Real easy to get him off his game. This has been this fan bases complaint about our team for years so not sure how adding Marner makes us better. 

It's funny you mention the PP--the Leafs have the 1st ranked PP with him running it. He's a playmaker first, but I just checked his stats and he has 4 PPG this season alone. Toronto also has the 6th ranked PK with him playing an average of 2:00 short-handed minutes a night.
A lot of young players are wary of contract, but at least he's not a player who plays with his head down. He has the uncanny ability to make a play while absorbing contact. If you don't believe me watch his highlights. With all the talk of him disappearing in the playoffs, he still puts up points.
It's kind of a moot point anyway--the trade probably won't happen. Marner is a fan favourite.

If anything, the trade chatter with Toronto targeting Miller will just make Drury raise his offer.

14 minutes ago, Nave said:

It's funny you mention the PP--the Leafs have the 1st ranked PP with him running it. He's a playmaker first, but I just checked his stats and he has 4 PPG this season alone. Toronto also has the 6th ranked PK with him playing an average of 2:00 short-handed minutes a night.
A lot of young players are wary of contract, but at least he's not a player who plays with his head down. He has the uncanny ability to make a play while absorbing contact. If you don't believe me watch his highlights. With all the talk of him disappearing in the playoffs, he still puts up points.
It's kind of a moot point anyway--the trade probably won't happen. Marner is a fan favourite.

If anything, the trade chatter with Toronto targeting Miller will just make Drury raise his offer.

I agree, it's moot and I appear to be off on my numbers. But the playoff numbers don't lie. And the contract is fugly. I believe you did mention TO retaining though. But ya, it ain't happening anyways. 

1 hour ago, Nave said:

lol. To be clear, I think Miller probably shouldn't be traded. But Marner with salary retained is a move I would do. 

Think about it this way, if Miller wants around $9M, is Marner at $8.75M so bad?

Marner is work maybe 6 .   

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

It’s a pretty greasy fanbase and media in Leafland, drooling over the fact they can keep Muzzin on injury reserve (even is he was ready sooner) until playoffs start to beat the cap. Didn’t Buttman say the NHL would be cracking down on that? This leafs plan to not rush Muzzin back has clearly been spelled out everywhere right now.

It’s greazy but it’s within Gary’s rules. Maaaan, could you imagine if the Nux were already positioned as safely playoff bound and at the trade deadline put Myers or OEL on the IR shelf (healthy Dman for playoffs) until then with that much cap to add to the team roster? 

I do that every trade deadline - watch the coverage all the while imagining the Canucks were contenders and who they may have been able to add at what cost.  One day soon let’s hope

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

It’s a pretty greasy fanbase and media in Leafland, drooling over the fact they can keep Muzzin on injury reserve (even is he was ready sooner) until playoffs start to beat the cap. Didn’t Buttman say the NHL would be cracking down on that? This leafs plan to not rush Muzzin back has clearly been spelled out everywhere right now.

Different situation here - it's not broken bones but a risk to his brain and it would be seriously irresponsible to rush him back.  Muzzin has a history of concussions and was just coming back from one, when his head hit the ice on a collision.  

16 hours ago, Slegr said:

I'm on record as being HIGHLY critical of TB and more recently LV for 'circumventing' the cap - but I watched that Leafs game on TV the other day and that hit that Muzzin took looked legit - with his history of head injuries I actually think they're doing the right thing by both the player and the CA - as much as it seems like another situation of 'circumvention', this one looks legitimate.  Plus, the standings and the games remaining would indicate they could use Muzzin on the ice more than they need the cap-relief so it just doesn't look like a rouse here.  

But yeah, their fans/media are greasy......

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

LA Kings rumoured to be looking into a forward upgrade. They have a lot of Center prospects and a couple okay RHD. Would really love to get Vilardi and or Turcotte if they wanted one of our top forwards that might be on the block.

I'd be willing to deal with LA, but they'd have to pay a steep price as a division rival, doing so would also be an admission of defeat regarding the season (although I think that's the way the breeze is blowing)

Depends on who they want, they'll need a Kopitar replacement sooner than later and I'm not sold on their young center's being able to fill that void sooner than later despite the prospect depth they've got at that position