The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya… he is doing his agent thing trying to up his client’s value.

Who cares if a 32 year old had a career year… we he certainly isn’t talking a 2 year term for Miller when he will be 32.  36-38 year old players performing at a top level and worth $8-9 million a year are unicorns and not the norm.

Lol.

I like how they compare to Stamkos who’s been pretty much a superstar since entering the league (basically a PPG since coming to the NHL).

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, Alflives said:

Miller is a very good player, but he will be 30 when starting his next contract.  How long into that contract will Miller still be very good?

Can we compete with Petey and Bo as our top centers?  Who plays the 3C role?

Lots of questions.

I'm hoping a Miller trade returns a younger center who can fill that 3C role.

And a Garland trade returns a similar aged (to Garland) right shot D on a similar contract (to Garland) so a hockey trade.

Out: Miller and Garland

In:  Young 3C and RSD.

This might not result in a step back.  It might keep us where we are now but we will have a better future.  

Sign Nich

Brock? Miller Podkolzin

Hoglander Pete Nichushkin

Pearson Bo Garland

Gadjovich Lammiko Zack Mack (Grumble Grumble)

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I mean, that's pretty clear. Rutherford not hiding behind any bull$&!# that Benning was so accustomed to doing. 

Non-emotional decision. I guess it's easier for these guys to do that, since they haven't known the players for too long. It would have been harder for Benning to have done the same. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, that's pretty clear. Rutherford not hiding behind any bull$&!# that Benning was so accustomed to doing. 

Non-emotional decision. I guess it's easier for these guys to do that, since they haven't known the players for too long. It would have been harder for Benning to have done the same. 

It's been clear for months. There's numbers that make sense for the team to retain him and there's numbers that make sense to move him. Miller's recent comments give me a bit more hope a reasonable extension can be agreed upon but that's only a bit more hope than the almost none I had before.

It's still unlikely he gives us the +/- $5-15m discount we'd require, too pay more taxes and stay here. Gordie bless him if he does though.

Happily, it still sounds like management haven't lost their minds and have a pretty firm line in the sand there.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I fully believe JB had every intention of trading Miller as we'll

Really happy with what I heard from JR today. They have a number in mind and won't blow the bank on an aging asset. If he signs a reasonable deal, great, get it done! If he wants his money, great, let's get some assets. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Sub 8 or he’s out 

Completely agree. A few weeks ago I would have gone as high as 8.25. but the more I think about it, the more I start thinking it's gotta be under 8. The internal cap has been set with Hughes, and in no world is Miller the more valuable player to this team over Hughes. Internal cap is important, peticularly when they player setting the can is aging and on a likely decline over their career.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Sub 8 or he’s out 

If it is a max term deal for sure.  

$8x6 is pretty much the upper end and already represents a lot of risk for the team.

The agent’s statement about not accepting that players decline as they age is enough of a sign to me that we should explore Miller trades before the draft.  He will want to leverage this one career year and try to get a long term deal done that makes no sense for us.

There is every likelihood he regresses by 20 points next year just because this past season is a big outlier for him.  Progression isn’t linear and as Ferraro always says “They call them career years for a reason”.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

The agent’s statement about not accepting that players decline as they age

Delusional people worry me.

does the guy also believe it doesn't get dark when the sun goes down?

The guy may need psychiatric help.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

$8x6 is pretty much the upper end and already represents a lot of risk for the team.

The agent’s statement about not accepting that players decline as they age is enough of a sign to me that we should explore Miller trades before the draft.  He will want to leverage this one career year and try to get a long term deal done that makes no sense for us.

There is every likelihood he regresses by 20 points next year just because this past season is a big outlier for him.  Progression isn’t linear and as Ferraro always says “They call them career years for a reason”.

its just an agent blabbing in the media, he's not going to negotiate against himself on Donnie and Dhali. Of course he's going to set an unreasonably high bar in the media.

For me, I want Miller back but it has to be in the 7's AAV.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Delusional people worry me.

does the guy also believe it doesn't get dark when the sun goes down?

The guy may need psychiatric help.

I think the bigger problem with this entire discussion, and where things got out of whack is how posters were over valuing his trade value.

Ive always thought he would sign for somewhere around the lower 8m figure.. movable after 3 years, regardless of term.

Hertyls contract is somewhat comparable,  but not something exact.

Ever players outlook on money/ work/ and lifestyle is different.

Guys here were trading him for 3 high end player prospects equal or better than what Podz has been showing us.

I think that’s how this has gotten out of whack.

Even if he doesn’t sign here,.  what we get isn’t going to be the entire future of another team.

.. and what we take back in a trade might have to absorb some of the possible capspace Miller might be looking for in a deal.

it’s all very interesting indeed,  regardless I’d be happy to see him back,  this player brings a lot to the adhesivness and energy of this team.

It will be hard to replace,.  And it won’t be coming back in any trade.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

So if Miller is going to regress to only 80 points next year then why do you think we can get a King's ransom in a trade?  Are the other teams too dumb to also figure this out?

If Miller had a career year and $8 million is too risky for him then his trade value won't be that high either.  Expect a 1st round pick and a top prospect back in return.  

JR/PA said they don't want to take a step back.  Not sure how trading your leading scorer for a pick and a prospect isn't taking a step back.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think the bigger problem with this entire discussion, and where things got out of whack is how posters were over valuing his trade value.

Ive always thought he would sign for somewhere around the lower 8m figure.. movable after 3 years, regardless of term.

Hertyls contract is somewhat comparable,  but not something exact.

Ever players outlook on money/ work/ and lifestyle is different.

Guys here were trading him for 3 high end player prospects equal or better than what Podz has been showing us.

I think that’s how this has gotten out of whack.

Even if he doesn’t sign here,.  what we get isn’t going to be the entire future of another team.

.. and what we take back in a trade might have to absorb some of the possible capspace Miller might be looking for in a deal.

it’s all very interesting indeed,  regardless I’d be happy to see him back,  this player brings a lot to the adhesivness and energy of this team.

It will be hard to replace,.  And it won’t be coming back in any trade.

I dont feel some were trading their entire future. Take the Rangers for instance, I think a deal of Schneider, Cuylle or Kravstov and a 1st is more than fair. It's just players who get nearly 100 points in a season don't get traded everyday and should be compensated especially when Miller has another year at a very reasonable cap hit. 

• Cheers 2