The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Unless someone else comes in with a better offer in the meantime.  If the difference is significant, that makes sense, but I don't see much benefit in nickel and diming over a 3rd.

I would take a Fiala like return with a little more spice because Miller is godly rn

Just now, King Heffy said:

Unless someone else comes in with a better offer in the meantime.  If the difference is significant, that makes sense, but I don't see much benefit in nickel and diming over a 3rd.

It happens all the time. Reports have been that there are quite a few interested teams, so it's not just the Rags. I think it's very possible that we get a return that will, indeed, blow us away, which will include the young roster players that we want/need plus some extra picks smattered in to go with a 1st.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To NYR

Miller

Hoglander

To Vancouver

Schneider

Laff

I'd do it in a heartbeat because we'd be robbing them blind. 

Laffer played well, very well in PO and showed, in my view,  why he was a 1st overall.   Schneider,  given his age/inexperience still didn't look out of place and will get a lot better. 

I suspect they're open to parting wt Kakko because his development has flattened a bit and they're selling before everyone figures out he's another Puljujarvi.  Question is - is he?

Just now, Jester13 said:

It happens all the time. Reports have been that there are quite a few interested teams, so it's not just the Rags. I think it's very possible that we get a return that will, indeed, blow us away, which will include the young roster players that we want/need plus some extra picks smattered in to go with a 1st.

Now the question is whether those young players fit as well as the guys from the Rangers.  Personally I like that offer a lot more than any of the other rumored ones.  I'd of course ask for more, but that's a good enough offer to say yes to.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Provost said:

He will be 31 by the time the first year of his new contract is done… so ya, people take his age into account.

Nobody is terribly concerned about his production in the first couple years of a new contract when you are looking at a 6-8 year extension.

I said earlier in the thread it makes too much sense not to try and move him - but I think there’s a 5 year deal to be had with Miller that isn’t as risky as people are saying.  And if the returns aren’t great I’d be fine with us just keeping him.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I said earlier in the thread it makes too much sense not to try and move him - but I think there’s a 5 year deal to be had with Miller that isn’t as risky as people are saying.  And if the returns aren’t great I’d be fine with us just keeping him.

I think that is pretty much what JR has been saying all along without specific numbers. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

My solution is to actually see improvement on the team. It's possible to improve now and in the future. 

I get it guys, I really do. We have been the damn near only team who hangs onto expiring deals letting them walk as ufas. I'm not suggesting we do that yet again. I'm suggesting IF the value isn't there this off season vs the value he has to our club. We atleast start the year with him. I can't accept lowball offers. Someone will come knocking with a nice haul come TDL when we offer to retain 50%. We see better packaged then that crap rangers offer at that time every year. Tofu even got more of a haul then what some suggest we get for Miller 

As I said I may be out to lunch on this theory but I'm standing by it 

You can stand by it but it's a horrible idea treating a hockey team like the stock market wasting an entire season and other options along the way. All in hopes someone miraculously decides they want JT for much more than they've offered in the last calendar year and despite him being on the block for an entire year.

On top of that he could get injured or regress to his mean. And what do you do with him if you're in the playoffs? Trade him and screw the team over. You obviously haven't put much thought into this. 

Miller must go!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You can stand by it but it's a horrible idea treating a hockey team like the stock market wasting an entire season and other options along the way. All in hopes someone miraculously decides they want JT for much more than they've offered in the last calendar year and despite him being on the block for an entire year.

On top of that he could get injured or regress to his mean. And what do you do with him if you're in the playoffs? Trade him and screw the team over. You obviously haven't put much thought into this. 

Miller must go!

Brother I think you have me confused. I will admit my quick responses well at work are probably the cause.

I'll go over my thoughts again briefly. I think a package of Lundkvist + chytil + a late 1st or late 2nd is no different than us packaging Rathbone + Dickinson + a 1st or 2nd. Would that get us a player like Miller? Not a flipping chance. So to me being okay with that level of return doesn't justify removing him from the team.

Yes he could get injured, yes it could be risky, yes it's not the best idea ever but in the very unlikely chance that is one of the best offers they are willing to do.. I don't take it. I take my chances and run with him till the TDL and let the bidding war commence. I get what you mean by this being maybe more of a stock market style play... But my thoughts are if you show the league and all the players you are willing to get walked all over by another team and take a massive hit talent wise.. it's going to be way worse long term than the very slight chance he ends up walking for free as a UFA. 

I'm not taking crap players like those guys or the likes of zachas ect. We NEED potential stars to come back. They need to have a high ceiling. 

We all should know by now he probably gets moved this off season, probably at the draft and we get a better haul than Fiala. I fully admit I may be wrong but this is how I attack the Miller situation 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Just dunno if we’re still good enough if we do that I think miller trade for stud prospect on cheap contract who can play next year plus high picks plus boeser for rhd D like mayfield on cheap contract keeps us room to still be good and chase free agency fits 

Mayfield is on a good contract because he's not all that great. I would love to add him and Ross Johnson but it could come at a much lower price than a career young 25g 50point winger 

5 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Really so your saying 2nd overall Wright plus Zacha 3 mil zadarov 3.5 So next year with Wright zacha zadarov in our lineup without jt isn’t better?

Is this on the table?

They can’t ll collectively play with lesser of a chip on their shoulders. So yes.

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'd rather Kravtsov than the 2nd.  I think the Rangers might do that.  I've read that he can play all FW positions, which

could come in handy.  I like that he can play the defensive side of the game. 

"A big, skilled winger that can play up and down the lineup and provide scoring in a number of roles. He brings grit and physical size, but could be more assertive in throwing his weight around more. Displays excellent speed on the rush and in zone entry, but could backcheck quicker. Plays well in his own end and takes away lanes. Very good hands and awareness. Kravtsov has the potential to develop into a staple top six forward that can produce at the next level. [EP]"

Kakko (21yrs) + Schneider (19yrs) + Kravtsov (23yrs) would be a great infusion of youth on our team.

I am a huge fan of JT, but this trade would sit very right for me.  I'd obligated to cheer for the Rangers in the playoffs

next year.  JT must win a SC.

If that’s the deal I’d expect Hoglander or Dermott or similar going back to rangers 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'd rather Kravtsov than the 2nd.  I think the Rangers might do that.  I've read that he can play all FW positions, which

"A big, skilled winger that can play up and down the lineup and provide scoring in a number of roles. He brings grit and physical size, but could be more assertive in throwing his weight around more. Displays excellent speed on the rush and in zone entry, but could backcheck quicker. Plays well in his own end and takes away lanes. Very good hands and awareness. Kravtsov has the potential to develop into a staple top six forward that can produce at the next level. [EP]"

Kakko (21yrs) + Schneider (19yrs) + Kravtsov (23yrs) would be a great infusion of youth on our team.

I am a huge fan of JT, but this trade would sit very right for me.  I'd obligated to cheer for the Rangers in the playoffs

If we somehow got those three pieces for Miller it would be a massive win.  Kakko will turnaround, Schneider is the blueprint Dman we need and Kravtsov is a bit of a wildcard, but likely will be good.  I would add to Miller if we needed to to secure that type of return.  I may even do Miller and our 1st if we needed to.

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we somehow got those three pieces for Miller it would be a massive win.  Kakko will turnaround, Schneider is the blueprint Dman we need and Kravtsov is a bit of a wildcard, but likely will be good.  I would add to Miller if we needed to to secure that type of return.  I may even do Miller and our 1st if we needed to.

A number 2OA, a number 9OA and a number 19OA. I think if we could have got that deal at the deadline we would have taken it and run.  All day for that deal. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Very tempting. You have to wonder if kakko is just mentally done with nyr. He makes it seem like they communicate poorly with him. This is the type of high ceiling I swing for honestly. I'll take this deal also if NJ doesn't want to do #2.

I do see a problem if all these guys become good. We would end up being in a rough cycle with alot of high end rfa needing deals all at the same time. But it is what it is. Pay to play lol

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Maginator said:

IMO if Jersey's 2OA pick is involved on the deal, it's 1 for 1. Miller for 2OA. I still take that.

I take that deal every time, I get that people are amped about Miller's value to this team or another, but a lot of folks seem to underestimate what a top 3 pick is worth.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I take that deal every time, I get that people are amped about Miller's value to this team or another, but a lot of folks seem to underestimate what a top 3 pick is worth.

Totally. Miller had a great year, but either Wright or Slafkovaky will likely be consistent 70 point players in this league. And that's being fairly generous. Not to mention age is absolutely on their side. 

This team needs to make tough choices to compete long term.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Totally. Miller had a great year, but either Wright or Slafkovaky will likely be consistent 70 point players in this league. And that's being fairly generous. Not to mention age is absolutely on their side. 

This team needs to make tough choices to compete long term.

Yuppp, with their whole careers ahead of them. 

And agreed.

• Vintage 1