The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

If there really is an 8 year deal, you have to keep in mind that the cap is going to go up in the future. If it increases by 1 million for the 23-24 and 24-25 seasons , and then goes up by 5% per year ( typical rate of cap increase before the pandemic) from 25-26 through 30-31 , the cap could be  $110-115  in the final year of the deal.*

* At least, ya know, hypothetically.

Edited by BlastPast

Just now, BlastPast said:

Keep in mind that the cap is going to go up in the future. If it increases by 1 million for the 23-24 and 24-25 seasons, and then goes up by 5% per year ( typical rate of cap increase before the pandemic) from 25-26 through 30-31, the cap could be  $110-115  in the final year of the deal.*

This is important to note. I think given big league revenues this year, we can expect some pretty big jumps in the cap soon once they finish their partial cap freeze.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlastPast said:

If there really is an 8 year deal, you have to keep in mind that the cap is going to go up in the future. If it increases by 1 million for the 23-24 and 24-25 seasons, and then goes up by 5% per year ( typical rate of cap increase before the pandemic) from 25-26 through 30-31, the cap could be  $110-115  in the final year of the deal.*

Radio now saying that Pagnotta guy corrected himself.  He meant to say six. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Why is Irf spreading rumours that Millers value isn't what everyone thinks it is right now? Drance and others have said it is better now than at TDL. 

We literally see players half of Millers talent go for 1st round picks and good prospects lol.

I have a hard time believing you can't generate value for a 100PT player, who kills penalties, plays power play and brings grit/physical presence 

If I was nucks management I would be having Irfaan put on a do not contact list for this crap.  Anyone in the org caught leaking stuff to him would/should be suspended for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Interesting fan proposal:

To CBJ
Miller

to Canucks
Kent Johnson (5 OA 2021 Port Moody Boy)
12 OA

Use the 12 OA to draft 
Pavel Mintyukov
and our 15th
Owen Pickering

thoughts?
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And it’s an offer JR/Allvin know wouldn’t be accepted.  We will need to push to the 60 million mark to get Miller to sign.  I’m seeing a deal if it’s 8 years and 7.5 to 8 per.  

I'm seeing me destroy 12 cold ones tomorrow with absolutely no action and a lot of arguing.

Who is sponsoring this you ask? I'm thinking PBR 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Interesting fan proposal:

To CBJ
Miller

to Canucks
Kent Johnson (5 OA 2021 Port Moody Boy)
12 OA

Use the 12 OA to draft 
Pavel Mintyukov
and our 15th
Owen Pickering

thoughts?

Disgusting. I will be absolutely pissed with any deal involving smurfs.

I want the d fixed and I want beef.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Why is Irf spreading rumours that Millers value isn't what everyone thinks it is right now? Drance and others have said it is better now than at TDL. 

We literally see players half of Millers talent go for 1st round picks and good prospects lol.

I have a hard time believing you can't generate value for a 100PT player, who kills penalties, plays power play and brings grit/physical presence 

That's how low end media works. If he's right he will shoot up the credibility latter. Everyone else is claiming the opposite so he's taking a shot in the dark. If he's wrong? Nothing changes still low end media 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How close will Miller be to a 7 million dollar player in years 6,7, and 8?  

His overall value is not entirely points, in 6 7 8 , he could still be posting lesser than 100 points ,   and be one of those players who shows up even bigger in the playoffs. 

When Gillis was GM he tried to get Shane Doan to Vancouver for exactly those qualities, leadership.

Doan opted to stay in Phoenix, and signed in 2012 ,  a 5.3m x 4 yr deal at 35 years old.

It beleive Gillis had offered the same or a little better.

Im using Doan as a comparable for the player type Miller is.. and that leadership style that is hard to come across.

9CE4E21A-D1F7-4CBB-915D-1627E0E38041.thumb.jpeg.1fec0b8cdd881e29458ddf74c0cb887f.jpeg

These are his Games played/ point totals for those seasons.

Maybe someone else can figure out what 5.3m in 2012 is worth in 2022.

At 30 yrs old and the following 8 years his point totals were:  55 / 78 / 73 / 55 / 60 / 50 / 27 / 47 .

Miller should have the advantage of being surrounded by better players than Doan did in that 8yr time frame.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is important to note. I think given big league revenues this year, we can expect some pretty big jumps in the cap soon once they finish their partial cap freeze.

I think with inflation and a potential recession in North America, we shouldn’t expect NHL revenues to continue going up, and thereby bank on the cap going up. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Sportsnet contract also expires which should bring a solid increase to HRR along with gambling partnerships.

I almost feel bad for the trade Miller camp, almost.

It must suck being drawn into what some of these insiders tweet, which has gotten everybody all hot and bothered for the last 3 days.

If he is traded. I bet the return is not as good as what many hope. 

27 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

The rumoured deal is 8 years and over $40 million. Sounds like 8 years $45 million total. That $6 million a year.

So now that he has corrected it… 6 years at around $8 million is that danger zone where Miller might accept and the team also has a huge risk of things going badly with little upside.

There should definitely be a deadline and us trading him if he is asking more than that on either  term or dollars.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

His overall value is not entirely points, in 6 7 8 , he could still be posting lesser than 100 points ,   and be one of those players who shows up even bigger in the playoffs. 

When Gillis was GM he tried to get Shane Doan to Vancouver for exactly those qualities, leadership.

Doan opted to stay in Phoenix, and signed in 2012 ,  a 5.3m x 4 yr deal at 35 years old.

It beleive Gillis had offered the same or a little better.

Im using Doan as a comparable for the player type Miller is.. and that leadership style that is hard to come across.

9CE4E21A-D1F7-4CBB-915D-1627E0E38041.thumb.jpeg.1fec0b8cdd881e29458ddf74c0cb887f.jpeg

These are his Games played/ point totals for those seasons.

Maybe someone else can figure out what 5.3m in 2012 is worth in 2022.

At 30 yrs old and the following 8 years his point totals were:  55 / 78 / 73 / 55 / 60 / 50 / 27 / 47 .

Miller should have the advantage of being surrounded by better players than Doan did in that 8yr time frame.

Doan's contract was 8.83% of the cap ceiling when it was signed, which in today's cap is $7.28M.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

That's Jim Benning planning there.

My excel projection incorporates three years of growth.....using non controllable variables to make business decisions. Amateur at best.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think with inflation and a potential recession in North America, we shouldn’t expect NHL revenues to continue going up, and thereby bank on the cap going up. 

The potential recession could hurt revenues, yes, but inflation would probably push the cap higher (of course, not real revenue, only due to inflation meaning bigger numbers). In the end, they maybe push opposite directions and result in a relatively normal increase instead of a larger one.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2