The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, Alflives said:

Debrincat is 24 and just now entering his prime years.  Miller is 29 and soon to be leaving his prime.  Big difference in the values of those two.  

Then why is JR asking for more? 

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

People just need to stop being so declarative like "oh, looks like nothing will happen now!!" when the draft itself is still a couple of hours away. Or that Alvin is like Benning or whatever. Stop making yourselves crazy and go for a walk!

But I, like others I'm sure, have been conditioned to expect things not to work out in the Canucks favour.  Well, okay we got Kuzmenko. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I disagree, there are more teams with more ability to create space in the summer than there are at the deadline.

It doesn't matter if we trade him today or during the next few weeks, the sense of urgency is from the fans, no one else.

All things considered, I would still rather re-sign him, as long as it doesn't cripple us in the long run.

no i disagree it's easier to trade Miller now than it will be after free agency opens.. teams need to budget around signing their RFA and UFA and they are not going to have 5mil + cap space sitting around waiting to hopefully trade for a miller.. Teams would have to some how free up salary cap before they would be able to take on a 5mil+ cap hit or dump us back salary in order to make it work.. vs team right now because they haven't signed their rfa/ufa they have the cap space now and can work around the cap hit or not re-sign this player or that player.

Just now, Alflives said:

If the Caps have offered Michmichael, Lappiere, and 20OA for Miller then we are stupid not to jump on that.  

Im wondering if our owner is involved in trying to rebuild-sign Miller?  Alf doesn’t trust that guy to stay out of hockey opps.

If that's the offer, you wait to see if another team can beat it.

Love the hardline approach that Allvin is taking with Miller. Don't make a deal for the sake of making a deal (cough Benning cough).

Wouldn't be upset if the Canucks don't make a move today. There isn't much value coming back for top-end forwards.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

I am confident that this will happen today.  We can't keep Miller to the TDL because our team is good enough to be in contention for the playoffs, so how do you rip a key piece out at that time and keep the team engaged.  It will happen today.

• Vintage 2

Just now, Alflives said:

If the Caps have offered Michmichael, Lappiere, and 20OA for Miller then we are stupid not to jump on that.  

Im wondering if our owner is involved in trying to rebuild-sign Miller?  Alf doesn’t trust that guy to stay out of hockey opps.

Yesterday miller was all but signed now the same media trolls pretend to know what been offered hahahahaha 

Reports that owners screwed up  Gillis trades that he had  in place but they wanted more and the deals fell apart. I could see that being part of the issue these owners don’t learn from there mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I am confident that this will happen today.  We can't keep Miller to the TDL because our team is good enough to be in contention for the playoffs, so how do you rip a key piece out at that time and keep the team engaged.  It will happen today.

what difference does it make destroying your team's chances at the trade deadline or on july 7th? either way you've hamstrung your team. 

2 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Love the hardline approach that Allvin is taking with Miller. Don't make a deal for the sake of making a deal (cough Benning cough).

Wouldn't be upset if the Canucks don't make a move today. There isn't much value coming back for top-end forwards.

It's funny how people complained about Benning kinda doing that (especially his final 2 years) but now want this new management team to do the same with a prime asset. lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no i disagree it's easier to trade Miller now than it will be after free agency opens.. teams need to budget around signing their RFA and UFA and they are not going to have 5mil + cap space sitting around waiting to hopefully trade for a miller.. Teams would have to some how free up salary cap before they would be able to take on a 5mil+ cap hit or dump us back salary in order to make it work.. vs team right now because they haven't signed their rfa/ufa they have the cap space now and can work around the cap hit or not re-sign this player or that player.

You are probably right on that, from a budgetary standpoint, it would make sense to do it now. I think the Canucks are playing a game of chicken with other teams, see who flinches first.

Vancouver is probably waiting to hear if Miller is going to have any flexibility in his asking price. If not, don't be surprised if they do something draft floor.

1 minute ago, tas said:

what difference does it make destroying your team's chances at the trade deadline or on july 7th? either way you've hamstrung your team. 

Not even close to the same.  If you gain some higher end talent in your org who is NHL or near NHL ready and also leverage the cap space for the biggest need, the team will see that in a positive light even if they miss Miller himself.  If the team is right in contention and then you take Miller out via trade as they have invested them in the season, you lose the room really quickly.  Major difference in the two.  Only exception would be if we are way out of it by the trade deadline which I would guess will not be the case.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The rumored Caps deal is something I'd take tbh. McMichael, Hendrix Lapierre and their 1st? Sign me up.

Miller in terms of value sits somewhere between DeBrincat and Fiala. The latter landed Minny Faber and the 18th. Washington's pick is the 20th. Therefore, the above offer could very well do it for the Nucks. If anything, it looks somewhat tilted towards Vancouver. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 1