The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Has there ever been a top 5 goal scorer in the league traded at the trade deadline? I mean top 5 goals in that season. I don’t recall will the Canucks be the first?

Marian Hossa finished 5th in goals scored in 2006-2007.  He was traded at the deadline the following year in 2007-2008.  He had 26 goals at the time of the trade so not sure where he was at when he was traded.  He led the Penguins in scoring in the playoffs and they won the cup that year.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Marian Hossa finished 5th in goals scored in 2006-2007.  He was traded at the deadline the following year in 2007-2008.  He had 26 goals at the time of the trade so not sure where he was at when he was traded.  He led the Penguins in scoring in the playoffs and they won the cup that year.

Im pretty sure he never won a cup with Pittsburgh. I could swear he was on Pit the year Detroit won, then went to Detroit when Pit won and then finally won in Chicago.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, PlanB said:

This is what I'm seeing.

Update in 2020 MOU: No-Trades & No-Moves travel with the Player when traded or waived. This means that if a player is traded before the clause goes into effect, the clause will no longer be removed with the new team. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bo Horvat is not Cam Neely.  Not even close.  So, you don't have to worry at all.

Trading a 21 year old who went on to become a superstar and Hall of Famer is quite different than trading a 28 year old who is having a career year...

I'm a big fan of Horvat and the choice of Miller over Horvat will always be a major mistake.  However, now that we are here and Miller likely has little value with his new contract, we need to move Bo and get a strong return.  He's exactly what playoff teams need for this run, but I agree, it will not be a mistake that we will have to live with for years. 

The likely return of a young C/W, young RD and pick type of deal will vault us much further ahead vs where we are today.  Maximize on value when it's at it's highest which we completely whiffed on with Miller.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Rackdawg said:

Ain't that the truth Bo is what he is.. having a career yr after 8 yrs of 58 pts a season..

Agreed and on the flip side, Bo’s never been given the opportunity to focus so much on offense. He’s always been thrust into the two way, responsible C with average wingers. The wing depth has really helped him alter his game this season, and proves that he is very capable as more of an offense minded player. Still though, next contract has to be the biggest motivator. 

Edited by RWJC

33 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Agreed and on the flip side, Bo’s never been given the opportunity to focus so much on offense. He’s always been thrust into the two way, responsible C with average wingers. The wing depth has really helped him alter his game this season, and proves that he is very capable as more of an offense minded player. Still though, next contract has to be the biggest motivator. 

Ya true enough..they used him wrong from the get go.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sounds like a great approach - hopefully just over $8M AAV to put him ahead of Miller, but leave as much space as possible to build out the rest of the team.

Final offer of $8.25M x 7, or let his agent start talking extensions with the serious bidders. 

6 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

Ya true enough..they used him wrong from the get go.

Has he ever been used on the wing?

His size and tipping skill makes him an ideal net front presence. Wonder how he’d look on Petey’s wing, with a complimentary winger that can dig out pucks and make a pass. He can also take draws, obviously. 

Garland/Kuz - Petey - Horvat

it guts our Center depth, but I’d love to see it for a few games. 

8 hours ago, Rackdawg said:

Ain't that the truth Bo is what he is.. having a career yr after 8 yrs of 58 pts a season..

wait so players are not suppose to improve if the opportunity presents itself? in the first 8 years was bo ever put in the same situation he's in now along with better linemates? miller first 7 season was sub 50 points except 1 56 points season.. then he got an opportunity to play on the first line and took off from there? bo got the opportunity after 8 years instead of 7 due to certain player crapping the bed after his extension and it just happened to be the contract year and we going to rag on him about it lol. i mean he started his hot streak in the 3rd quarter of last season.. that was not his contract year.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Has he ever been used on the wing?

His size and tipping skill makes him an ideal net front presence. Wonder how he’d look on Petey’s wing, with a complimentary winger that can dig out pucks and make a pass. He can also take draws, obviously. 

Garland/Kuz - Petey - Horvat

it guts our Center depth, but I’d love to see it for a few games. 

What the?  Bo is built to play centre.   

Maybe later in his career he can move to wing like Pavelski

• Cheers 1

Whatever happens post deadline, I expect Bo to test FA in the summer and see what is out there for him. A team like LA could really benefit from bringing Bo on board. They will have the cap space to make it work and Kopitar will be 36 and entering the final year of his current contract in year 23/24. 

If LA thinks they can re-sign him, I hope we can get some solid RD prospects like Clarke or Grans, along with a 1st rounder in the 23 draft. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Im pretty sure he never won a cup with Pittsburgh. I could swear he was on Pit the year Detroit won, then went to Detroit when Pit won and then finally won in Chicago.

That is correct. Pittsburgh won the cup the following year. Hossa lost to Detroit with Pittsburgh, then lost to Pittsburgh with Detroit. Then eventually won the cup with Chicago. What a confusing time for him. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That is correct. Pittsburgh won the cup the following year. Hossa lost to Detroit with Pittsburgh, then lost to Pittsburgh with Detroit. Then eventually won the cup with Chicago. What a confusing time for him. 

Haha he was the original Corey Perry. Albeit Perry already has a cup