The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Boudreau continues to lean on Lamikko to cover key opposing Center men..  and keeps answering to his task,.  I wonder if Horvat becomes a trade piece at the Draft.

Lamikko has been playing well and his last 2 assignments McDavid, and Ryan OReily were top notch.

Lammiko might become a decent Dickensian replacement, but he isn’t in the same category as Horvat.  If he can take some defensive responsibilities, that just means Horvat can focus more on offence and gets easier match ups.  Like when Malhotra come in and Kesler exploded onto the scene.

I waffle back and forth a little on Horvat due to his contract status and the fact he might not want to stay here unless he knows we have a good chance of winning.

Ultimately I landed on us probably holding onto him until the summer and seeing what an extension would look like.  

If he doesn’t want to extend early or not to a reasonable deal, then we trade him in early July when teams that missed out on big UFA targets are scrambling to fill the hole.  He should have close to as much value then as this deadline.  
It also gives him time to see what moves management has made and if they can convince him they are on the way up and not rebuilding.

Horvat is a player that will probably always overplay his contract.  He does a lot, but doesn’t have the gaudy numbers that get players huge dollars.  You could probably get him for $6.25-$6.5 on a 6-8 year deal, vs. Miller who will be in the high $8 millions or $9 million per on a long term deal.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Boudreau continues to lean on Lamikko to cover key opposing Center men..  and keeps answering to his task,.  I wonder if Horvat becomes a trade piece at the Draft.

Lamikko has been playing well and his last 2 assignments McDavid, and Ryan OReily were top notch.

Doubtful. Lammikko will never give you the offensive punch of Bo. He's been one of the best and most underrated goal scorers in the league over the last 4 seasons. And despite most people saying it about Miller, I believe that Bo is the heart and soul that drives this team. He leads by example, never takes a shift off in either end of the ice and has come through in clutch situations time after time. He's the captain for a reason.

I'm just hoping that if Lammikko can continue to emerge as a good shutdown guy against other teams top players that it will free up Bo from always taking the hardest assignments which should, hopefully, translate to even more offence.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Of coarse he is.

who wouldn’t want this guy on the team he does everything he’s asked never spouts off of whines

He’s the only Center on the Canucks that can win a faceoff. 
I wouldn’t want to see Bo traded he’s a fantastic second line Center we have nobody in the organization  to replace what he does. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, hammertime said:

What good does that rhd do us if we don't have a C who can win a draw.

It’s funny how folks want to trade for this or that and don’t realize the loss in that trade creates another hole elsewhere. 

What position and player do we have an abundance of? 

Maybe a backup goalie with Martin stepping up. Maybe a 3rd/4th line winger not named Motte. If we need to unload a high priced winger, Brock has to be it. His upcoming contract of 7 / 7.5M is will be way too much (if we get into a Cap crunch)

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

It’s funny how folks want to trade for this or that and don’t realize the loss in that trade creates another hole elsewhere. 

What position and player do we have an abundance of? 

Maybe a backup goalie with Martin stepping up. Maybe a 3rd/4th line winger not named Motte. If we need to unload a high priced winger, Brock has to be it. His upcoming contract of 7 / 7.5M is will be way too much (if we get into a Cap crunch)

I agree about Boeser,  more so than any one,.

.. but Bo is 27 this year,.    You know , closing in on 30 and “declining” ;) 

Edited by SilentSam

Seems we like mediocre players to stay and really good ones to leave… for a hope and a prayer.

Nothing beats a Country Club 19th hole atmosphere,  surrounded by favourite friends and repetitive tales of “do you remember when?”

I thought The Linden Trade smashed that template here,.  Apparently not.

How adorable.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Seems we like mediocre players to stay and really good ones to leave… for a hope and a prayer.

Nothing beats a Country Club 19th hole atmosphere,  surrounded by favourite friends and repetitive tales of “do you remember when?”

I thought The Linden Trade smashed that template here,.  Apparently not.

How adorable.

Just stop. Horvat is clutch and incredibly valuable to in so many ways. This guy has got some proper intangibles and is the heart of soul of our club. I would rather see any other player (not named Hughes lol) traded instead of him. 

Look how bad our team has been without him, our depth falls apart and our top guys don't score as much with the added pressure, plus opposing team's top lines are having a field day. We win that Oilers game with Bo in the lineup over Demko.

He's flown under the radar a lot since there are other flashier young stars in our lineup but make no mistake he's one of our most important players still and even when he gets older he'll fill a nice 3C shutdown role. 

The Nucks have players, Bo is of course in at the top of the list.  Same with Miller.  

Both cannot be moved unless the return is premium grade aaa draft picks in a fantastic draft year and a young player to feel a serious needed position with upside.  Plus a cap dump roster player whom is serviceable for this year for the bottom six.  

We don’t have to trade either, one and they are not rentals.  

They are coveted players because of the face offs and why would we want to move them, when they aren’t the current problem.  They are tough big guys that push the play and produce will leading by example…. Isn’t that what we need more of?  

This season with two key high paid star players, Cough! Petey, Cough Brock, playing to their normal level of production and play generation, we would be in a playoff position today.  

Moving Miller and Bo won’t fix that problem, but likely make it worse.  

yes the defence needs a adjustment, Poolman needs to be dealt and someone brought in to take the second RHD position and have up side to pair and off set Hughes abilities and liabilities.  

Poolman, he just loses the play and then shows glimpses of something more.  

Myers and Schenn are solid and seem to be at least able to provide elevated minutes for a large part of the defensive zone, but I would save the cap and bring up an AHL D man to take the bottom six minutes and see what we have in Woo and Rathbone as Burroughs can play either side.  Showcase some shiny prospects for the fans and the TDL… 

I like the OEL Myers pairing.  

Veteran players with skating and skills with good defensive play.  

they seemed to have chemistry and I think they could be a great shut down unit.  Able to play higher minutes.  

Hughes and Schenn

they make up for each other’s liabilities and as a stop gap, Schenn provides a needed element for our roster, decent skating, and size.  

Hunt is depth and that’s it, and this team just does better with a guy named Burroughs in the line up… 

but we are missing a element for Hughes to be the guy we know he can be, but he isn’t big enough to played without a real good physical player who, woo, can keep up with the speed and also make other players keep their heads on a swivel.  

Woo knows woo that player could be one day.  

But we don’t have that player now.  Dream player, Paryako.  How did our scouts not see this guy, what a pick by St Louis.  

Any deal that keeps Hughes and Demko and three of Bo, Petey, Miller and Brock that lands us Paryako, deal, sign now ask questions later.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

The Nucks have players, Bo is of course in at the top of the list.  Same with Miller.  

Both cannot be moved unless the return is premium grade aaa draft picks in a fantastic draft year and a young player to feel a serious needed position with upside.  Plus a cap dump roster player whom is serviceable for this year for the bottom six.  

We don’t have to trade either, one and they are not rentals.  

They are coveted players because of the face offs and why would we want to move them, when they aren’t the current problem.  They are tough big guys that push the play and produce will leading by example…. Isn’t that what we need more of?  

This season with two key high paid star players, Cough! Petey, Cough Brock, playing to their normal level of production and play generation, we would be in a playoff position today.  

Moving Miller and Bo won’t fix that problem, but likely make it worse.  

yes the defence needs a adjustment, Poolman needs to be dealt and someone brought in to take the second RHD position and have up side to pair and off set Hughes abilities and liabilities.  

Poolman, he just loses the play and then shows glimpses of something more.  

Myers and Schenn are solid and seem to be at least able to provide elevated minutes for a large part of the defensive zone, but I would save the cap and bring up an AHL D man to take the bottom six minutes and see what we have in Woo and Rathbone as Burroughs can play either side.  Showcase some shiny prospects for the fans and the TDL… 

I like the OEL Myers pairing.  

Veteran players with skating and skills with good defensive play.  

they seemed to have chemistry and I think they could be a great shut down unit.  Able to play higher minutes.  

Hughes and Schenn

they make up for each other’s liabilities and as a stop gap, Schenn provides a needed element for our roster, decent skating, and size.  

Hunt is depth and that’s it, and this team just does better with a guy named Burroughs in the line up… 

but we are missing a element for Hughes to be the guy we know he can be, but he isn’t big enough to played without a real good physical player who, woo, can keep up with the speed and also make other players keep their heads on a swivel.  

But we don’t have that player now.  Dream player, Paryako.  How did our scouts not see this guy, what a pick by St Louis.  

Any deal that keeps Hughes and Demko and three of Bo, Petey, Miller and Brock that lands us Paryako, deal, sign now ask questions later.   

I overstated my ask for Paryako, Brock for Paryako and I am okay.. beyond that, I was wrong… lol.  

10 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

braden-schneider-2022-48.jpg