The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

the real question is...

when are we going to see Boeser for severson trade...maybe when marino gets back from injury... but devils are hurting for wingers, we could even send them Dermott or Schenn - but sending them schenn would cost them.

we get to try out severson, or flip him at TDL if we are out of it, I would even add a sweetener on our side, as we end of possibly flipping sevy and get a ton of cap back 

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

tbh honest, it depends on 2 things:

1. What Aquaman wants

2.if a team makes them a trade offer they cannot refuse

IMHAO your #1 point supersedes everything else.  I remember Brian Burke saying when a key core guy is getting traded he had to run that by the owner first.  I think our owner nixed any Miller Trade before the 2022 TDL and he’s (likely) directed management to extend Bo.  The negotiations are ongoing, and it will get done before the TDL.  56 million. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We will sign Bo to 7 x 8 years.  He’s not leaving.  Accept it.

Aquilini hired JR to build around our core five.  Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Bo.  These five will all stay.  The supporting cast will change.  

Hello folks, c'mon down and get yourself a brand new made up conjuring freshly squeezed out of a 30 year old bottle of scotch and carefully strained through an interpretive modulator known as Alf's brain.

It's got wild stories, plot twists, and a stubbornness to stick to ideas snatched totally out of thin air. It will keep you glued to your seats 24-7. Tune in now because while this scenario is set in stone right now it's libel to change at any time. Supplies are limited.

Get your Alf takes while they last folks, they're going fast and could change tomorrow, today, or the next time someone takes a sip:

Download your 5 core player scenario today. Just **** $4.99 ****

or monthly membership including Weekly Busteroos Just **** $11.99 ****

1980s tv business GIF by absurdnoise

(just joking buddy)

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

I really hope they find a way to keep Bo. Our captain. The heart and soul of this team, who plays a complete game. Letting him go will leave a lasting negative impression on the franchise, in my opinion. It shows utter lack and respect towards those who have dedicated themselves to the franchise, both on and off the ice. Trade Miller, Boeser, Garland or whomever else it takes. Bo needs to stay!

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Bo. will. re-sign.

Seriously why would you want this? You cant honestly want to repeat the last 4 years all over again. 

Time to do what every other great team does and sell high and look towards the future. Holding onto him and paying him for 8 years simply because he is having one good offensive season is exactly what leads to another 4 years of mediocrity and is a mistake.  

Hmm, how far back do we have to look to prove this.... oh, less than a year ago when we didnt trade Miller, and resigned him because he was having a career year. Now we couldnt give him away for free.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

29 minutes ago, SKCanuck28 said:

I really hope they find a way to keep Bo. Our captain. The heart and soul of this team, who plays a complete game. Letting him go will leave a lasting negative impression on the franchise, in my opinion. It shows utter lack and respect towards those who have dedicated themselves to the franchise, both on and off the ice. Trade Miller, Boeser, Garland or whomever else it takes. Bo needs to stay!

What are you talking about? Good players get traded. It isn't disrespectful to move a player at the tail end of his contract in order to improve the team long term. 

Its not like Bo doesn't know its coming. He is part of the contract negotiations too. Its not like Horvat hasnt been paid since he got here, he wasn't "donating his time to the team".

Fans want to see wins, playoffs and a cup. Thats what the GM should be trying to build here, not worrying about signing someone to an 8 year contract simply because he's been here a long time. 

What would be more disrespectful is to trade Miller before his NMC kicks in right after signing him for 7 years. Even though I would love it and have no issue if they moved him also.

• Cheers 2

On 12/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, Alflives said:

That’s not saying he won’t negotiate though.  He just doesn’t want to talk about it.  He will sign before the TDL.  56 mil.  That’s the number. 

Maybe, or maybe he won't.

Loui  E. didn't retire as a Canuck, and  Bo may not sign here.

• Huggy Bear 1

34 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Seriously why would you want this? You cant honestly want to repeat the last 4 years all over again. 

Time to do what every other great team does and sell high and look towards the future. Holding onto him and paying him for 8 years simply because he is having one good offensive season is exactly what leads to another 4 years of mediocrity and is a mistake.  

Hmm, how far back do we have to look to prove this.... oh, less than a year ago when we didnt trade Miller, and resigned him because he was having a career year. Now we couldnt give him away for free.

We already made a mistaking doubling down on Miller. Horvat is just going to be a casualty of what we have to do to move forward. We can not keep rolling out this same lineup and expecting to be a contending team. They have proven this isn't it. We won't know how close we are until we start making the hard calls.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

We already made a mistaking doubling down on Miller. Horvat is just going to be a casualty of what we have to do to move forward. We can not keep rolling out this same lineup and expecting to be a contending team. They have proven this isn't it. We won't know how close we are until we start making the hard calls.

Completely agree. There's just no scenario where trading Boes, Garland and/or Myers just to resign Bo moves this team forward.

• Cheers 3

thinking about which teams would, realistically, be a potential trading partner for Horvat.

Assuming teams will only get Horvat as a rental the profile I am looking for are team that:

• need more Center depth
  • are either in a playoff spot or fighting for one

Team I can think of are Minnesota, Nashville, Seattle, Carolina, Colorado and maybe St. Louis

This doesn't take into account what their prospect pool or assets is like because these teams are unlikely going to part with a NHL player right now. 

Between those teams which would make the ideal trading partner?

Edited by iinatcc

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Where did I type anything about my wants?

I typed...

Bo. will. re-sign. 

I even made it clear and simple to read with my over use of periods. 

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Where did I type anything about my wants?

I typed...

Bo. will. re-sign. 

I even made it clear and simple to read with my over use of periods. 

I suppose I assumed since you are so convinced of this fact that you must be supportive of it.

As a long time fan, in his late 40's I've been through many ups and downs with this team.

I've seen some of my (and fans) favourite players traded and what you learn over time is sometimes you have to separate your love for a player from what's best for the team long term.

Linden for example, was a gut punch for me, but his trade led to Bertuzzi and eventually the twins (Via McCabe). I am sure if fans knew of the long term outcome of a Bo trade they would be more open but we don't know what that looks like so many find it hard to let go, understandably.

The issues I see from fans who want to keep Bo, in my view are short sighted. They ignore the following

• Bo is on a heater, he is not a 50 goal scorer. 50 goal scorers are consistent 40-50 goal scorers. Recency bias makes people scream, we can't trade our captain and 50 goal scorer! He's not Pavel Bure. Let's accept reality that he's a 25-30 goal scorer on a heater, which is only upping his value for us.
  • Media has speculated some team is willing to pay him $9 mil as a UFA. He's a center, a hard worker, a character player, a good faceoff man, but he's not a $9 mil player and we shouldn't be paying him as such. We can't pay a player for one hot year and ignore his past body of work. That ignores age.
  • This by no means is Bo vs Miller, personally I would trade both, but for now, we cannot afford to pay Bo what he will get as a UFA (and afford I mean STRATEGICALLY)
  • Our team needs to improve on the back end, it needs to get younger for the "next core" of Petey and Hughes to have a long window, we don't do that by doubling down on the same core that has not made the playoffs much in a decade - things need to change. And you can't make changes with no cap flexibility - we all know that. The same fans who screamed about Benning using up all of our cap, now want JR and Alvin to do the same...weird.
  • This is the most important point - Around the league, Bo is seen as MORE than what he is. He is seen as some sort of Bergeron, O'Reilly 2.0....He is NOT a good matchup forward, he is not a great defensive player, but the PERCEPTION, around the league is that he is. That means we can sell an overvalued asset and really get alot back.

At some point fans have to accept this core is not winning a cup, much like Sakic moved Ducshene, the Canucks need to move Bo for the variety of reasons above. As a fan for 40 plus years, its getting tiring to see a team "middling"

Those wanting to keep Bo here, overpay him, are asking for a decade more of this not good enough to make the playoffs/win a cup, not bad enough to improve with high picks.

We have some really great pieces that we need to focus on building around (Petey, Quinn, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, hopefully Podz, etc)...what we can't do is keep trying to hang on to aging players who are going to get paid alot of money to help a team over the top...we are not close to the top, we are in a different stage of our team lifecycle.

Move Bo for a kings ransom.

Move Miller if we can

Move Boeser

Move Myers after we pay his bonus in the offseason

See if OEL will waive for somewhere

Move Pearson

Edited by Tanti9
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Solinar said:

If I was captain of my team, and I knew that we were missing pieces, and that trading me in a contract year could get my club those pieces, and all it would require of me was to take some time off of playing for my team, to spend a month or so playing for another team, and then sign back in the summer and keep on doing what I do, but with a better team, I'd seriously have to consider it, wouldn't I?  I mean, I want to be on a team that wins the cup for my city, after all.

This is the only play I see Bo making if he is sincere in what he says. If he veers from this, then he is exactly what I assume he is and thats a "MONEY FIRST" kind of player and winning a Championship is a "NICE TO HAVE". Its either in his DNA or its not, pretty simple.

• Cheers 1