The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford Press Conference on Dec. 13, 2021.

Rate this topic

JamesB

I also reacted to those questions. From the Virtanen investigation to the diversity questions. Just felt out of place. 

It's hard to even begin to answer questions regarding diversity because it's such a volatile topic. Whatever you say, it will end up being wrong in some way. Thought Rutherford answered it in an excellent fashion. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the boys are going to go on a little bit of a streak. They've won 4 games in a row, can they make it 5 tomorrow night. They look like a totally different team than a week ago, it's kind of insane. They're playing faster. They're playing more intense. They're covering for each other. They're skating hard. All things that we didn't really see on the ice under Green and Baumgartner. 

I disagree about Petey being trade bait. I think he's here to stay. Brock? I could see being trade bait especially if the conversations about his next contract doesn't go well. 

Boudreau has gotten this team to buy into whatever he's selling. Look at the way they're playing. Yes, we've been playing teams on back to back nights the last several games. But given where this team was at last week, they couldn't even beat the Hawks, and they were coming off a back to back. I'll take whatever wins we can get. Does that mean our draft pick in the 2022 draft lowers? Yes. But I'd rather the players be happy with being a part of a winning organization, then getting a "high" draft pick. Knowing our luck, we'll probably land at 5th again

Any where in the top 15 this year is solid.

13 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I really think Myers is moved before Miller. Miller is 28 right now, is very important to the team, and still will be young enough to make a big impact in our contending window.

Myers is 31, and is far more replaceable, likely to be in major decline during our contending window. Myers, Pearson, Hamonic, Dickinson, Poolman we probably move on from. 

The two vets we keep: Miller and OEL. 

Thing is defense is a patch job at best as it is.  Take Myers out of the equation and try and replace him with half the cap (the other half going to his replacement, and of course Miller's gigantic raise)....and we'd likely have to retain to get anything decent back.   Where as Miller is a very desirable commodity right now - sell high buy low as they say and right now the most we could get for him, is before or at this years deadline.   Wonder who those teams were - and who the players they were asking about were?   Anyone with Ltir cap space to fill up, and who is going for it this year.    The market for Miller could be insane, and it's a one time opportunity.   Next year he is just a pure rental.    Myers is a decent anchor to have, guys like him don't grow on trees (maybe in the zoo though?lol).  

Edit:  Of course Miller won't be easy at all to replace either - only via the draft really.  Which will take time.   This is part of JB legacy - whom do we keep.   At least almost every single player is a tradeable asset though.    We aren't winning a cup with Miller this or next season.    Of the goal is to win, taking the emotion out of it - sure makes senses to try and get something back for him while we can.    Others too eventually as well.   Glad we don't have to make those tough decisions.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Diversity!

I think it is time for teams to start looking at women for management positions.  There are some very accomplished knowledgeable ladies out there who's skills should be put to use . 

When it comes to diversity you can only tap into what is available.  If people want to see a more diverse NHL then enroll your kids into hockey. That is how it starts.

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’m not surprised FA went to his house to convince him to take the job. Ownership has always been big on trying to get this team to win a Cup. We are so lucky to have them as owners. 

They are amazing fans.   That will do anything and pay anything to help the team win a cup.    Not many owners are happy about paying to the cap during a rebuild ... unless like us the fans keeps coming anyways, suppose that evens things out.   As owners, they do meddle.   Finding out Fransisco made some personnel firings himself .... well it's his team and all...and he did pay to have outside consult to come in and evaluate the organization, suppose they found some things.    There is a strong narrative floating around the JB was his yes man, and that he's the reason the team wasn't ever rebuilt properly.    The re-tool was on Mike Gillis and JB.   If we didn't go out and sign Ryan Miller and Vrbata, and just totally stunk it up, maybe some of those claused up guys would have waived earlier - and on those claused up guys, no GM worth his salt would come in and not honour them.   Can't win a cup without UFAs too.  Who would ever want to come and  play here?   Overall i'm mostly curious what the rift - or if there actually is one,  between Linden and ownership.   It's the only thing they've done that actually bugged me.   Linden used like a deflector shield.   Maybe he really did-does just want to spend time with his family, he waited long enough to start one, and wasn't retired long before taking this role on.    As a fan too, sure would be nice to know that information.   And not the public relations story, the actual story.   Couldn't imagine if it came out that he was treated poorly (Linden), some fans wouldn't forgive that easily.   Funny how much power some legends have, even over kings. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I think he just wants the team to be faster overall. Not specifically focused on Brock. 

Doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't put the puck in the net. Brock, imo, is a 30 goal scorer at his peak and type of a talent that we need in order to win games.

I don't think Rutherford would sacrifice goalscoring purely just for speed. Boeser is one of our crucial players. 

Maybe more for fringe players probably like a Pearson who isn't really the best, but a decent, serviceable middle 6 player that we could replace for a faster alternative. 

Who knows, JR is an aggressive hockey executive that isn't afraid to make bold moves.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Brock to the point of labelling him being "as good as gone" though.

Maybe, but he's going to get more calls for Brock, so he'll be enticed more as a result. It'll take a lot of strength for Aggressive Jim to not entertain trading Brock and not pulling the trigger. But then again, maybe he'll hire a GM sooner rather than later and Brock is still lighting it up and all of this is moot anyways.

My biggest interest now is whether or not the team keeps rolling and what JR then sees with his team evaluation. I feel like we are a solid team that is much, much better than people think, and that we don't have as many holes as people think as well (up front, at least). His comment yesterday that this team isn't as good as some people think (paraphrasing) makes me curious to know where he thinks the team is at. I personally feel that our defence is what needs some bolstering, or at least some players back from injury. Anyhoogan, I'm rambling now.

10 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think the lateral move will be, Boeser for a RHD.....same age................................It would not surprise me if it's Detroit's Hronek

I think the move would be to get some talent on the Right side................................I am not sure where the plus goes, if any?

I also think, that from what I heard, is that it will be Miller that goes, regrettably, only because he does not fit the age group..........

I know @mll thinks I am nuts, I still think it is something around Marino and Blueger (Rutherford's Pitts connection). Maybe something like

Poolman back with Miller (Crosby, Malkin and Letang are not getting any younger)

The third thing, I hear somewhere was that Rutherford sees us taking a small step back(My words), which sorta goes with moving Miller

and then drafting a young fast replacement for Miller ( Forwards develop faster), and "IF" he pulls off something like the first "suggestions"

He will not be in such a hurry to draft that young Dman. .............note that both Marino and Hronek are signed longer term.................

I am not saying, this exactly, but certainly moves like this..................

Biggest need is on defense so likely a forward is moved. Boeser makes me nervous. He has a wicked shot but has not demonstrated enough consistency in his career to commit to a long term contract. Not saying he can't, just that the risk his higher. Miller is more a proven player. Top that with his ability to play center and Rutherford has a real gem to trade. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see both moved eventually. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe, but he's going to get more calls for Brock, so he'll be enticed more as a result. It'll take a lot of strength for Aggressive Jim to not entertain trading Brock and not pulling the trigger. But then again, maybe he'll hire a GM sooner rather than later and Brock is still lighting it up and all of this is moot anyways.

My biggest interest now is whether or not the team keeps rolling and what JR then sees with his team evaluation. I feel like we are a solid team that is much, much better than people think, and that we don't have as many holes as people think as well (up front, at least). His comment yesterday that this team isn't as good as some people think (paraphrasing) makes me curious to know where he thinks the team is at. I personally feel that our defence is what needs some bolstering, or at least some players back from injury. Anyhoogan, I'm rambling now.

You typed that wrong or misheard. He said the team is still getting better and might be much better. It was one of the reasons that he said that he wanted to wait till the end of Jan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Diversity!

I think it is time for teams to start looking at women for management positions.  There are some very accomplished knowledgeable ladies out there who's skills should be put to use . 

When it comes to diversity you can only tap into what is available.  If people want to see a more diverse NHL then enroll your kids into hockey. That is how it starts.

The only conversation should be hiring the best person for the job.  Be that a non traditional hockey gender/race/other diversity wonderful but to win the cup we need the best people first.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Thing is defense is a patch job at best as it is.  Take Myers out of the equation and try and replace him with half the cap (the other half going to his replacement, and of course Miller's gigantic raise)....and we'd likely have to retain to get anything decent back.   Where as Miller is a very desirable commodity right now - sell high buy low as they say and right now the most we could get for him, is before or at this years deadline.   Wonder who those teams were - and who the players they were asking about were?   Anyone with Ltir cap space to fill up, and who is going for it this year.    The market for Miller could be insane, and it's a one time opportunity.   Next year he is just a pure rental.    Myers is a decent anchor to have, guys like him don't grow on trees (maybe in the zoo though?lol).  

Edit:  Of course Miller won't be easy at all to replace either - only via the draft really.  Which will take time.   This is part of JB legacy - whom do we keep.   At least almost every single player is a tradeable asset though.    We aren't winning a cup with Miller this or next season.    Of the goal is to win, taking the emotion out of it - sure makes senses to try and get something back for him while we can.    Others too eventually as well.   Glad we don't have to make those tough decisions.  

Miller would bring back more than Boeser. I can see a roster player, a prospect and a draft pick (3-4 rdr). Of course this could change based on his production at the TDL and injuries that acquiring teams are dealing with, Covid, etc etc. I want speed with more size. I want a better d-core. 

• Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

You typed that wrong or misheard. He said the team is still getting better and might be much better. It was one of the reasons that he said that he wanted to wait till the end of Jan

"This team is obviously better than their first 20 games, but I'm not so sure it may be even better than people think." These are his words, so maybe he's the one that misspoke?

This reads to me like the following: I, personally, think we're much better than people think, but he's not so sure that's the case. Maybe he meant to say "But they may be even better than people think." But it reads to me like he thinks we're better than under Green, but not that much better.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

"This team is obviously better than their first 20 games, but I'm not so sure it may be even better than people think." These are his words, so maybe he's the one that misspoke?

This reads to me like the following: I, personally, think we're much better than people think, but he's not so sure that's the case. Maybe he meant to say "But they may be even better than people think." But it reads to me like he thinks we're better than under Green, but not that much better.

I thought I heard JR say we need to get quicker?  Who are our slower guys?  Bess, Pearson, Schenn, Hamonic?  

4 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

The only conversation should be hiring the best person for the job.  Be that a non traditional hockey gender/race/other diversity wonderful but to win the cup we need the best people first.

Sure.

But this is the same league where Benning gave his &^@#ing son a job and Pierre McGuire has a high-level gig. In particular, there are a ton of highly qualified female and European candidates who are far more qualified to be in NHL front offices at some capacity than the aforementioned people.

• RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Josepho said:

Sure.

But this is the same league where Benning gave his &^@#ing son a job and Pierre McGuire has a high-level gig. In particular, there are a ton of highly qualified female and European candidates who are far more qualified to be in NHL front offices at some capacity than the aforementioned people.

I’m wondering, if in certain jobs, the person even needs to be hockey savvy?  In analytics maybe we just need a very smart numbers person?  Heck, maybe in analytics it’s even better to not have a hockey person, so there is no hockey bias, but just number crunching?  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I’m not surprised FA went to his house to convince him to take the job. Ownership has always been big on trying to get this team to win a Cup. We are so lucky to have them as owners. 

We'd have 12 cups if it weren't for these meddling owners and that dog!!!!!!!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I also reacted to those questions. From the Virtanen investigation to the diversity questions. Just felt out of place. 

It's hard to even begin to answer questions regarding diversity because it's such a volatile topic. Whatever you say, it will end up being wrong in some way. Thought Rutherford answered it in an excellent fashion. 

Definite cringe moments that he handled well with no real sound bites resulting

• Like 1