The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Halak is a good back up. I’m sure a contending team would want a solid back up just in case there’s injuries. 

Yeah, I think there's definitely teams that would want him for a reasonable price. All comes down to if he wants to compete in the playoffs or just stay here in beautiful Vancouver, cash his cheques and sign elsewhere in the summer.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I think there's definitely teams that would want him for a reasonable price. All comes down to if he wants to compete in the playoffs or just stay here in beautiful Vancouver, cash his cheques and sign elsewhere in the summer.

He’s got a young family here is what I heard. Might be tough to be away from them for a while. 

I mean, I’m assuming Halak’s a competitor, and he wants to win. So I’d assume he’d want to go to a contender for a chance to win it all and compete against some of the best, though, he probably won’t be playing much in the postseason if ever unless there’s an injury. 

• Cheers 1

Would Washington be interested in Halak? Easier cap hit to try and fit compared to Fleury, IF Fleury even agrees to go to Washington. Would like to somehow get BC boy and RHD Vincent Iorio back in a deal drafted in 2nd round in 2021, would Halak and ____ be enough to get a deal done, unlikely but who knows? We can take back Copley as a G in the deal, try him out or waive him and bring up Martin for rest of year to see if he if he could be a backup next season for us

• Cheers 1

On 2/3/2022 at 2:45 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

A backup goalie is not a great trade chip.  Even if Halak wanted to move?  He has an NMC.

I dont see us getting much better than what we received for Juolevi.  Be thrilled if we got what we received for Thomas Vanek. Which many complained about.

Its kinda a non story!

He's a starter if he's willing to play in a dump like Edmonton.

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would Washington be interested in Halak? Easier cap hit to try and fit compared to Fleury, IF Fleury even agrees to go to Washington. Would like to somehow get BC boy and RHD Vincent Iorio back in a deal drafted in 2nd round in 2021, would Halak and ____ be enough to get a deal done, unlikely but who knows? We can take back Copley as a G in the deal, try him out or waive him and bring up Martin for rest of year to see if he if he could be a backup next season for us

They are interested in Fleury because they want a playoff starter.   That wouldn't be Halak who is a backup.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I doubt halak waives his ntc. If he wanted to play for a contender he easily could have signed with a contender as a backup.. heck he prolly could have signed with toronto with emergence of Campbell..  

Backups don't typically make 3M.  

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Anybody hear of WHY he doesn't want to waive his NTC?  It's not like he's got a ton of roots put down here with his family over the course of several years.  This is his first year here lol

Probably for the same reason he signed it. Doesn't wanna be moved mid season, or to guarantee that if he is moved it's not somewhere he doesn't want to be. Also, we talk about how Vancouver is a decent place to live if you have the money. I am guessing he just wants to stay put somewhere for as long as he can til his NHL career is over. He'll be on his 6th team if/when he leaves Vancouver. And at 36 I am guessing a lot of that competitive fire is more or less gone. Not saying he wants to win, but I mean. He probably doesn't want to win THAT badly. Just a matter of settling down in the best possible places for the longest amount of time til he has no place in the NHL. I think he's been really good, the only reason people want him traded is cause of his bonus.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:22 PM, aGENT said:

Competing on the beach in the playoffs in a different team or competing in the playoffs with the Canucks, it’s kinda the same.

15-5-4

So, I doubt that Halak would waive his NTC, but, if he were to agree to do it, how would everyone feel about something like:

To Edmonton: Halak

To Vancouver: Koskinen 50% retained, 2022, 2nd round pick.

I know there's currently conditions on Edmonton's 2nd round pick, but I really don't believe that those conditions will be met. If they are, we would roll 2nd round pick to 2023.

Why Vancouver does this? Pickup a 2nd round pick and I believe that we have enough LTIR that we could absorb 50% of Koskinen's contract which expires this summer.

Why Edmonton does this? .918 save percentage vs .900 save percentage. Makes a little more cap space for them this season for other moves, get's Koskinen off their team while not locking into someone long-term. If Edmonton wants to go somewhere this season in the playoffs, they aren't going to do that with Smith and Koskinen in net.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Backups don't typically make 3M.  

You know you CONTRADICTED yourself when you quoted me, but then said backups don't make 3m...Halak will earn 3m from his performance this season, but I am sure you will come back at me with "the cap can be spread out over 2 years"

Fact is, Halak would be cheaper to acquire and could be any teams #1G...all it takes is an injury or poor play from inexperienced goalies like Washington has on the roster.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

You know you CONTRADICTED yourself when you quoted me, but then said backups don't make 3m...Halak will earn 3m from his performance this season, but I am sure you will come back at me with "the cap can be spread out over 2 years"

Fact is, Halak would be cheaper to acquire and could be any teams #1G...all it takes is an injury or poor play from inexperienced goalies like Washington has on the roster.

The majority of contending teams don't have 3M to spend on a backup goalie.  So it's not like he had the option to sign with a contender at 3M.

Halak is a backup goalie and not a starter - doubtful that he would be considered for the starter position on a team with ambition.  He's more likely to interest teams who will want to upgrade their backup than a team like Washington who want a more reliable starter for the post-season.  Seravalli says that they want a 'Cup-calibre starter - someone that will allow Laviolette to sleep soundly at night.'  

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I doubt that Halak would waive his NTC, but, if he were to agree to do it, how would everyone feel about something like:

To Edmonton: Halak

To Vancouver: Koskinen 50% retained, 2022, 2nd round pick.

I know there's currently conditions on Edmonton's 2nd round pick, but I really don't believe that those conditions will be met. If they are, we would roll 2nd round pick to 2023.

Why Vancouver does this? Pickup a 2nd round pick and I believe that we have enough LTIR that we could absorb 50% of Koskinen's contract which expires this summer.

Why Edmonton does this? .918 save percentage vs .900 save percentage. Makes a little more cap space for them this season for other moves, get's Koskinen off their team while not locking into someone long-term. If Edmonton wants to go somewhere this season in the playoffs, they aren't going to do that with Smith and Koskinen in net.

Environment impacts save percentage - the quality of shots faced depends on how well/poorly a team plays in front of their goalie.

Doesn't feel like Edmonton's defence is better than Vancouver's - there's no guarantee that Halak would be able to maintain his save percentage in Edmonton.

Halak is 2-4-2 in 8 starts.   Wouldn't put those losses on him but if he can't steal games for Vancouver who looks to be better defensively not sure Edmonton will believe he can steal games for them.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Environment impacts save percentage - the quality of shots faced depends on how well/poorly a team plays in front of their goalie.

Doesn't feel like Edmonton's defence is better than Vancouver's - there's no guarantee that Halak would be able to maintain his save percentage in Edmonton.

Halak is 2-4-2 in 8 starts.   Wouldn't put those losses on him but if he can't steal games for Vancouver who looks to be better defensively not sure Edmonton will believe he can steal games for them.  

How bad is EDM's D when our very middling defense is viewed as superior in helping out their goalies! :lol:

• Haha 1