The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Jan. 16, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

That game was a beauty. 

Everyone chipped in at his best. 

What impresses me most is how much this team disrupts play for the opposition. For years a lack of control of play has been my major complaint. 

By disrupting play so much, they control play. 

I absolutely love what I’m seeing.

Pettersson finally scores. Hopefully he retains that newly regained confidence. He played a very strong game.

OEL. What a beast of a defenseman.

That guy knows. 

The Canucks also have an excellent high caliber energetic 4th line. They’re playing beyond and above what we’ve seen in recent years. 

And also

DEMKO

• Like 3

Had a feeling Petey was due for a big game and he came through. Also monster games by Motter, Poolman, Pearson & Boeser who seemed to be everywhere and breaking the Caps' momentum several times while generating offensive opportunities. Demko an absolute beauty as always. And noticeably good games by Highmore, Myers and Bo. Just wish we stopped with the passive play on the PK, otherwise we were overall definitely the better team. 

• Like 2

Heck of a team game and gutsy win tonight, end of a back to back against a team who's killed the back to backs lately in their own rink. 

We skated as hard as the Caps did all night long. Our top line weren't too flashy, I thought Boeser started strong zipping and shooting everywhere but disappeared in the second half, as did Miller. Pearson was quietly strong all night. 

Bo had a good game as did Hoglander, Podz was a bit less noticeable tonight though and of course Petey was brilliant tonight on his goals, but I thought was a bit slow/sloppy at other times and got caught twice defensively.

Highmore, Motte and Lammikko were our best line IMO all night long, they didn't give up and caused chaos with a great forecheck. They could have scored 3 goals tonight but that aside, they were brilliant defensively but better on their forecheck.

The 4th line of Dickinson, Chaisson and Podz weren't too noticeable for better or worse.

Defensively, Myers had another strong game all over the ice, our best defensively and he pinches perfectly now. OEL was absolutely brutal in my opinion, slow footed all night and didn't make many good clearances defensively, but he was crisp in the few moments he had in the offensive zone. I thought Hughes was great all night as usual and Poolman was surprisingly quick and strong defensively tonight. Schenn and Burroughs were average tonight individually but together, Burroughs gets caught up ice too often.

Of course Demko stole the show, robbing Ovi several times, our PP was great and then disappeared in the final two chances, and our PK was shocking.

On the whole, a must-win, gutsy game. If we win the next game we somehow go 2-3 on the hardest road trip of any team of the year, we get back to .500 and we look to go on another run. Great win on the whole, I was impressed how we pushed all night long.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

He may not be the most skilled. He's like Hunt as he makes some dumb reads. But he certainly gives it everything he's got. And refuses to be a pushover. 

And thats exactly what we need from our depth Dmen. Good showing. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I liked Burroughs game he was just caught out of position a lot today. It seems our 6th dmen are all pretty inconsistent.  I also thought Poolman was solid, but OEL looked rough at times. I'm also really impressed with Motte Lammikko Highmore  as a  line  their energy is very noticeable. Glad to see Petey with the deuce as well. 

Hate these morning games for the guys, but glad  it's outta the way for date night.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I don’t think any teams win games with stats like that.

If you’re trying to rag on Demko for dropping three games to the best teams in the league you’ve come to the wrong place.

Just pointing out that Demko, not Miller, is our most important player.  our guys played really good games in Florida.  We took a step back against the Canes.  We were okay today, but not as good as in Florida.  Demko stopped pucks like Bubble Boy today, so we won.  

• Cheers 3