The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Motte drawing interest

2 hours ago, BPA said:

SN650 guys on YouTube mentioned that the ask is probably $3M x 4yrs.

But I would think Motte will go as low as $2.5M aav.

I think $2.5M AAV is where it will land.  Any higher is probably a bit too much.  Any lower and I'd be pleasantly surprised.

I heard Sean Kuraly as the comparable. 4yrs x 2.5M 

But the difference here is that Kuraly is a center, and he's also been a more productive player in his career. That's basically the ceiling for Motte imo, not 3M.

Comparing to the recent bottom 6 contracts we signed; Beagle was a center & Roussel was a better player (was on a 39 pt pace his first season here, & had double digit goals 4/5 seasons in Dallas). 

I think Motte is about 2M+ depending on term, probably 3 years. I'd add an extra year to get him a little under 2M if possible. 

Unless you get a 1st, high 2nd, or good prospect, I'd prefer to sign him. He's an important part of our team. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Gonna go out on a HUGE limb here and say that Motte's agent indicates in the interview tomorrow that:

-Motte likes Vancouver

-wants to be part of this team

-understands it's a business

-is focused on helping this team make the playoffs

Like I said, it's  a HUGE leap, but I suspect that's what he'll say. 

Pretty gutsy of you. Taking quite a risk making such a bold prediction. ;) 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Gonna go out on a HUGE limb here and say that Motte's agent indicates in the interview tomorrow that:

-Motte likes Vancouver

I'm gonna play it safe and guess that Motte's agent is going to announce that Motte is retiring from hockey after this season to pursue his dream of catching the Loch Ness Monster.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

-Motte likes Vancouver

you forgot to mention

- Tyler is a major contributor to the team on and off the ice,

- he is fast and brings grit, two way play and many intangibles the Canucks, or any other team would covet. 

- he is an asset and has a lot of great years in the league ahead of him

- (lofty) comparables will be discussed

12 hours ago, JM_ said:

thats Beagle money 

That's what happens when you give Beagle Beagle-Money every player agent is going to ask Vancouver for a comparable deal

It also doesn't help the case with the Dickinson extension too. 

Edited by iinatcc

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

That's what happens when you give Beagle Beagle-Money every player agent is going to ask Vancouver for a comparable deal

I loved Beagle the player, that deal not so much. 

But its a different management group and I suspect Motte will sign something reasonable. If we don't, my guess is the disagreement will be over term not $

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Dont know how to break it to you so ill just come right out and say it. Jim benning no longer works for this team.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I loved Beagle the player, that deal not so much. 

But its a different management group and I suspect Motte will sign something reasonable. If we don't, my guess is the disagreement will be over term not $

The Beagle signing is basically someone wanting a PlayStation 5 but is willing to pay $1200 for it in Ebay

Just now, iinatcc said:

The Beagle signing is basically someone wanting a PlayStation 5 but is willing to pay $1200 for it in Ebay

I get why Benning signed him, he's a solid person and great 4th line C/PK guy. I never liked the slamming of the player because Jim liked to overpay. 

Just now, coryberg said:

Dont know how to break it to you so ill just come right out and say it. Jim benning no longer works for this team.

But don't player agents still use comparable contracts the club has given out regardless who the current GM is? 

It's like If my manager hired me with a salary of $60,000 a year. Even if that manager leaves other employees in the same or similar position as myself would want the company to give them a similar salary 

Went into the season with the expectation that Mott would carry the 4th line. He has had a great season but is Lammy the key member now? I also worry about his injury history which will likely impact the money and duration offer by the Canucks. If they are offered a 2nd rdr do they move him and try to bring Lockwood up next year? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Went into the season with the expectation that Mott would carry the 4th line. He has had a great season but is Lammy the key member now? I also worry about his injury history which will likely impact the money and duration offer by the Canucks. If they are offered a 2nd rdr do they move him and try to bring Lockwood up next year? 

That's my plan as well. Even for a higher 3rd I'd do it. The pick plus saving a million or so in cap is well worth the risk of trading a fourth line winger. Even if he is a damn good fourth line winger.

• Like 1