The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Émilie Castonguay as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Jennifer Botterill lives in Mississauga. She was approached for an AGM position first. She turned it down due to family reasons. It’s entirely unclear if she was offered the same AGM position Émilie Castonguay now has or if it was for the other slot.

Do we know that she was actually offered the job or was she offered the opportunity to have an in-person interview? There is a difference and that doesn’t necessarily make Émelie JR’s second choice.

In any case she seems like a wonderful addition to the club with lots to offer. The professionalism in the front office just took a giant leap.

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

This about sums it up perfectly for me:

Anyhow, I refuse to buy into any more of that downward spiral of negativity, as this is a very positive move and to be celebrated.  

As a woman, it's really draining to hear the same ol' arguments but times are changing and the really great responses prove that!  Unfortunately, it's still a slow drag for some.   Hopefully, they'll catch up to the world one day (or get left behind).

For real Deb. Rather than immediately questioning if women are qualified or 'diversity hires'; We need to be asking "did they just play together in the 80s, or can he actually do the job?"

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

She's just as qualified as the guy Montreal just hired for GM.

The difference as I see it is Montreal hired a player agent for a GM role, which has a much broader scope and more pressure. Castonguay is hired for her experience with the CBA and contracts so is easily suited to an AGM. Canucks are no strangers to hiring a player agent to GM, so not throwing stones, but this hire makes a lot of sense and is not nearly the gamble of Gillis or Hughes as a GM.

All around strongly recommended person and seems to be a great hire. Haven't seen anything even mediocre, let alone negative about this at all. Not sure we can ask for more than that!

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

The difference as I see it is Montreal hired a player agent for a GM role, which has a much broader scope and more pressure. Castonguay is hired for her experience with the CBA and contracts so is easily suited to an AGM. Canucks are no strangers to hiring a player agent to GM, so not throwing stones, but this hire makes a lot of sense and is not nearly the gamble of Gillis or Hughes as a GM.

All around strongly recommended person and seems to be a great hire. Haven't seen anything even mediocre, let alone negative about this at all. Not sure we can ask for more than that!

Agreed, just don't see how anyone could possibly think she is not qualified for that particular role.  Can't get much better than a player agent and they don't often accept AGM roles.  It's closer to going down the road of Burke where he worked his way up under Quinn's membership.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Emilie or Jenn? If both said yes, which one would you have selected as the best candidate possible? 

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As for which position, it's entirely possible the two were offered completely separate AGM positions as best candidates available, given their very different skillsets.

This. There is more than one AGM position. Depending on what breakdown of responsibilities wanted, there could be several in hockey ops.

51 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

For real Deb. Rather than immediately questioning if women are qualified or 'diversity hires'; We need to be asking "did they just play together in the 80s, or can he actually do the job?"

Yeah. I think both men and women should be hired based off of their qualifications, and not just question whether women are qualified. 

• Like 1

I feel like the very few people here who are questioning this hire (and very doing so in a very careful way I might add) are getting an unfair amount of pushback on the basis that they are probably sexist.

Honestly, I think it is totally fair game to question whether a 38 year old (man or woman) who only became an NHL certified agent 5 years ago is experienced enough for an AGM job with an NHL team.  

I am 38 years old and am aware enough to realize that most of the best people in my profession are older than I am and have more years experience.

By all accounts, she seems to be very bright and may be very good at her job, but I can totally understand how some people might not be convinced of that yet. 

Also, someone needs to tell her that putting a #22 Canucks jersey with her name on it in the background of an interview is not kosher (kidding, but not really).

12 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

You know, it's like the draft where the player gets the current year on the jersey. 

I get that, but it kind of feels like the new regime doesn't get the significance of that #

Not a big thing, just something I noticed

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that, but it kind of feels like the new regime doesn't get the significance of that #

Not a big thing, just something I noticed

Every player the Canucks draft will be getting a number 22 in the summer.

Not a big deal.

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I thought Gillis was actually good at evaluating talent when it came to pro scouting. He got us Ehrhoff, Mitchell, Hamhuis, Lappiere etc. that made us go to the finals. I would never see Benning construct a team that can go to the finals.

Of which none of them were drafted. He was good at evaluating pro talent. But it was still a core that two previous GM's put together. 

I'm not saying he didn't deserve some credit. I just think his reputation exceeds what he actually did. 3 players drafted during his tenure as GM turned to NHL'ers is not 

someone who can draft well. 

53 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

I feel like the very few people here who are questioning this hire (and very doing so in a very careful way I might add) are getting an unfair amount of pushback on the basis that they are probably sexist.

Honestly, I think it is totally fair game to question whether a 38 year old (man or woman) who only became an NHL certified agent 5 years ago is experienced enough for an AGM job with an NHL team.  

I am 38 years old and am aware enough to realize that most of the best people in my profession are older than I am and have more years experience.

By all accounts, she seems to be very bright and may be very good at her job, but I can totally understand how some people might not be convinced of that yet. 

Also, someone needs to tell her that putting a #22 Canucks jersey with her name on it in the background of an interview is not kosher (kidding, but not really).

If you go to YouTube and watch the video of her interview, the number of trolls saying this is a "woke" hire is disturbing. 

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

No idea who this is, but if they are good I am happy. Sooner this franchise is whole again, the better.

have no idea either, all I can do is shrug. I'd have preferred someone with a boatload of proven NHL experience but with a resume like that, I don't see why not. Seems talented enough to do whatever job they give. I'm mixed I guess but I can see where a lot of what she brings to the table will come in handy for us and I'm certainly not opposed to it. If a hockey man like JR thinks she can then good enough. 

Edited by iceman64

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you go to YouTube and watch the video of her interview, the number of trolls saying this is a "woke" hire is disturbing. 

I don’t know if the search function on this site isn’t very good or it’s me but I tried to find the discussion from when Chris Gear was hired/promoted to AGM and struck out. I was curious to see what questions people had about ‘his’ qualifications.  I could be wrong but somehow I doubt there was the same level of concern. 

I get so tired of this woke thing. Like there is something wrong with caring enough to be awake? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

this really just shows why the Canucks should stop retiring jerseys until someone captains a cup winning team

sorry, but I do not agree with any of the Canuck retired jerseys

ROH ok but retired numbers is stupid

and it brings out stupid comments like the one above

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Onwards and upwards! 

She has a law degree & passed the bar in Quebec.

Has an under grad degree in finance. Won an award as athlete scholar.

Played 4 years college hockey.

Has worked the past 5 years as a player agent! 

If she throws a left hook at a poker party u could call her Brian Burke!

Oh calling someone to meme this comparison...   :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1