The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Oilers sign Evander Kane

15 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

That big goof is gonna stand out in small town Edmonton; better not misbehave Eva; everybody's watching you.

64 million bucks he's pissed away so far; do I have that right?

Next we'll hear he hasn't paid his taxes.

Why, in Butt-Butt-Buttman's World, does Edmonton even have an NHL franchise?

If Arizona qualifies because of huge potential markets in the neighbouring surrounds, what potential markets surround that flat, oily mudhole in the middle of northern nowhere?

Edmonton is one of the remnants of the WHA. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Oilers desperately needed a top 6 player.

No risk high reward signing.

It's half a season 1 mill salary. 

We're paying Hamonic a lot more on multi-year contract to stay home. And Virtanen 500k to play in Russia. 

Plenty of risk bringing a known locker room cancer in and giving him a NMC when your captain has character issues.  This also doesn't address their AHL quality D or ECHL quality goalie.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I think we all knew it was coming. 

Honestly although I agree it is a risk and 1 mil less on the cap hit would be great, this is still a good move for Edmonton. They are sinking quickly and need to make some adjustments. 

Kane has definitely been toxic or at the very least his personal life has bled over into his professional one which has caused distractions for his teams. However, he has shown he can still put up points and I think it is worth the risk for the Oil. 

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He will put up some big numbers playing next to McDavid, but I still think this is a high risk high reward move IMO.

Kane in one year is risk free I think. I think Kane also had a very good few years with the Sharks it was only after the relationship went sour. I think Kane is just a guy who wears out his welcome after a couple of years 

Edited by iinatcc

The additions of Hyman, Fogele and Kane should make the wing there pretty dangerous. Definitely a deeper team than last year. 
plus, unrepentant a-hole, where should you go….Edmonton!

Whenever I seeMcDavid play all that goes through my head is “Jamie Tartt do do da do da do…”

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plenty of risk bringing a known locker room cancer in and giving him a NMC when your captain has character issues.  This also doesn't address their AHL quality D or ECHL quality goalie.

Zero risk. If he screws up you send him home. Minimal salary. 

As stupid as he is hes highly unlikely to screw up on a new team with 40 games to play. Or He's out of the NHL for good. 

He's going to be on his best behavior. 

He's a very good player. 6'3 tough as hell, fights , scores 30g a season.  Huge upside.. 

He's gone couple years to begin his tenures without issues in WPG BUF and SJS. 

Half a season no problem. Gives Oilers something they desperately need for free and super cheap. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Zero risk. If he screws up you send him home. Minimal salary. 

Then they are on the hook for his salary under the cap- so some risk there.

Also  he might be a bad influence on  other players, so still some risk.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Edmonton is one of the remnants of the WHA. 

That's not enough justification for keeping it there; lots of other WHA teams moved.

I suspect it has something to do with The Grate One, retiring his number from all teams for all time, The Stanley Cups, the Capital City, and some perverted madness rattling around in that Dracula Head he's got on the top of his stubby geek neck. 

(Imagine how small he felt when he was in the NBA.)

But no millionaire pro athlete wants to go to Edmonfarkinchuck!