The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do the Kings have (younger guys or prospects) we would expect back for Garland?  Would we trade him for the King's first (2022) and just clear the cap?

Not sure exactly. But the Kings have a plethora of young bounty and picks to choose from. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does that reduce our cap though?  How much will we need to pay Zacha in his new deal?  Could he replace Miller if he's traded?  We need to clear out bad contracts and create cap space.  Maybe trading Boeser with Poolman and getting only picks/prospects back is better than a hockey deal, considering our current situation?

It does reduce our cap based on needing to spend $7.5 on a Boeser QO and then Poolman's $2.5.  Zacha is probably in the $3.5-4.0 range on a medium term deal, Severson is a shade over $4 million... so no around $7.5-8.0 for both of those players vs. $10 for Boeser and Poolman.  It both frees up cap AND fills a big hole on RD that is what we would be wanting to spend cap space on anyways.  It also reduces cap liability going forward as Severson only has this year and next under contract.  He would just be a bandaid to get us to whatever more permanent placement prospect we can find through another trade (like Garland) who might not be quire ready.

Going back to my post, a move like that lets you also move on from Garland for pure prospects.  That saves us cap in the short term as well as in the long term as those prospects become efficient ELC contracts contributing to your lineup.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does that reduce our cap though?  How much will we need to pay Zacha in his new deal?  Could he replace Miller if he's traded?  We need to clear out bad contracts and create cap space.  Maybe trading Boeser with Poolman and getting only picks/prospects back is better than a hockey deal, considering our current situation?

Ultimately I think the contracts we have to move to make cap space and can while getting a return are:
Boeser
Myers

The ones that would be nice to move but difficult without giving up assets:
Poolman
Dickinson

Pearson has been good but definitely an option to create cap room and replace with a european free agent

I think your plan of moving Boeser for picks/prospects is also a good idea because we could pick up some free agents this year off the teams that are making a run at the cup - Florida, Pittsburgh, and Vegas have some players that they wont be able to sign that would be great pickups

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

I agree. They talk about wanting to get faster. Garland IS that guy. Boeser is NOT....as much as  I like Boeser as a person and a player he is not good value for his QO of 7.5 million.

So give him less than his QO? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

If it's LA, I hope Allvin makes them pay, being a division rival

Has to be Clarke, Turcotte, or Byfield IMO

otherwise F'em

Either one of those prospects would be a fantastic return.

*fingers crossed*

Garland is the type of player that drags your team into the fight whether they want to be in it or not.   Boeser is the type of player who's happy to go along with whatever seems to be happening on the ice at the time. 

One of these is the type of player you absolutely want on your side when you reach the playoffs,  the other is the type you flip to another team for the first type of player. 

• Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If it's LA, I hope Allvin makes them pay, being a division rival

Has to be Clarke, Turcotte, or Byfield IMO

otherwise F'em

That's a pipedream, my man. 

Those are all A prospects. 

We could maybe get one of them in a Miller package, but trading for JT doesn't make sense for them at this stage in their rebuild.

Garland and Poolman to LA for Turcotte and Grans

Garland, Rathbone, and Dickenson to Boston for Lysell, Debrusk and Senyshyn

Garland and Poolman to Pittsburgh for Marino

Garland and Myers to Jersey for Zacha and Severson

Garland, Rathbone, and a 3rd to Rangers for one of Schneider/Lundqvist and Kakko

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If Boeser had Garland's hustle he'd be an $8 million player.

If Garland had Boesers size, offensive zone starts and pp time, he'd be an $8 million player.

Which one are you keeping knowing that

That’s why we should trade Boeser and give Garland those offensive zone starts and PP time. With that Garland would probably be worth twice as much next year. The thing I like about Garland is he seems to be able to create for others where Boeser seems to need people to create for him. Wicked shot but if people are going to give us a lot for Boeser right now I’d make that deal!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

That’s why we should trade Boeser and give Garland those offensive zone starts and PP time. With that Garland would probably be worth twice as much next year. The thing I like about Garland is he seems to be able to create for others where Boeser seems to need people to create for him. Wicked shot but if people are going to give us a lot for Boeser right now I’d make that deal!

That is definitely a good point.  Garland is producing his numbers almost all at even strength, where Boeser is getting almost all his points on the PP.  If you give Garland those minutes and his numbers are a lot more gaudy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Garland would be excellent on the PP at net front and puck retrieval.  He really doesn't shoot the puck that well to be on the wall.