The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Jan. 29, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, b3. said:

Brock needs to be moved - he had a game changer shot. But he is so inconsistent.

Cant hit the net, average hands and brick for feet.

EP40 continues to disappoint.

*unpopular opinion* Pettersson needs to be shopped as well. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, drdeath said:

No challenge on the OT winner? I’m not convinced Mangiapane’s skate was still on the ice on his trailing leg that was outside the zone when they entered the zone

Good point - but I’d be very surprised if our video-review guy wasn’t on it.

That’s literally his only job of ‘real consequence’ behind that bench ….to challenge goals that are possibly offside! 

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

seems there is something wrong with this team; that a coaching change hasn't fixed.

They seem to be reverting back to their old habits under Green.

This is why this team absolutely needs a strong analytics department. So many of our problems can be traced back to zone exits and zone entries.

Time to get rid of players that pass the “eye test” and start getting players that have stats to back it up.

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

No one is crapping in him, especially BB

He is being honest and calling a spade a spade

You want players to be coddled and country club or be honest and make them accountable

I am glad BB is honest

You must have appreciated all of Green comments and where did his saying we played great get us?

These are professional athletes, I am sure they can take constructive criticism

We all witnessed it

no need to sugar coat it like he is playing school elementary sports

They're paid Millions, they can handle a bit of constructive criticism 

If he wants to lead he needs to be accountable, and if Bruce wants to coach he needs to tell it as it is at times, I'm glad he did

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, viking mama said:

Good point - but I’d be very surprised if our video-review guy wasn’t on it.

That’s literally his only job of ‘real consequence’ behind that bench ….to challenge goals that are possibly offside! 

Nah I was wrong on this one. His trailing leg was still over the blue line and they got rid of the needing to touch the ice rule. It was pretty close and he might have been offside if someone jump-changing for Miller was tracking back with the other two though.

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

No one is crapping in him, especially BB

He is being honest and calling a spade a spade

You want players to be coddled and country club or be honest and make them accountable

I am glad BB is honest

You must have appreciated all of Green comments and where did his saying we played great get us?

These are professional athletes, I am sure they can take constructive criticism

We all witnessed it

no need to sugar coat it like he is playing school elementary sports

I think there are times when a coach calls out a player and times when he has the wisdom not to.  HOw does a guy like miller get called out for something like that ( when he's played his guts out for this team all year) 

And a guy like Pettersson not get called out when the effort isn't there.  Noone can tell me EP giving 100%.  

Miller's giving 100% (except for about 4 seconds)

Sorry, doesn't add up. I'm sticking up for Miller 100% tonight. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They seem to be reverting back to their old habits under Green.

This is why this team absolutely needs a strong analytics department. So many of our problems can be traced back to zone exits and zone entries.

Time to get rid of players that pass the “eye test” and start getting players that have stats to back it up.

So basically the entire top 6 :P

15 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I didn't like the line combos today.  I wish they would go back to the Podkolzin-Pettersson-Garland trio.

Pearson-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Garland

Dickinson-Horvat-Hoglander

Motte-Lammiko-Highmore

Pearson was out of the line-up (Covid protocol) & Bo’s the best face-off guy they’ve got! He was needed a lot!

Losing Myers so early was hard to take. Learning that these refs were doing our team no favours early on was another tilt to the ice.

They were up against it from the start. I believe this game may have played out a little differently - if they didn’t have to juggle d-men & watch their d-zone coverage so much…NOT having the last change.

Hiccups everywhere & being impeded by unpenalized ‘Lames  slowed ‘em down. 

Edited by viking mama

16 minutes ago, a4rules said:

Petey does not play with the intensity, speed and urgency of a true NHL superstar like MacDavid, Mackinnon, Draistl etc.  He floats, falls and gives away the puck too easily.  He had glimpse of stardom during the Edmonton game on his nice unassisted goal but no where near consistent enough to be paid $7+million.

Thanks Benning only sign him 3 yrs

I am not sure what all the crap is for/

We got shut down by the other team, and still took a point

In the old days that is a 0-0 tie

I also have to say that our team, really took the majority of their prime chances away

and our goalie, shut the door on the other ones...like he should have........

Boring game, but it could have been a hell of alit worse!

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

seems there is something wrong with this team; that a coaching change hasn't fixed.

It's a poorly constructed roster, coaching can't fix that.

Little offense from defense, no bottom-6 to speak of, top-6 players take turns taking nights off.

Aggregate talent on paper is decent, it'll win some games, especially considering how good goaltending has been for most of the season.

But there are massive holes; you are what your record says you are.

The guy who built this team kept taking shortcuts... this is the result.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well not everyone can be a strong analytics player but we need more than just Hughes to be able to get the puck out of the zone and into the zone consistently.

Pettersson and Boeser play too much of a perimeter game, which was further exacerbated by Green’s dump and chase system. I’ve seen subtle improvements, noticeably Petey, in zone entries under Bruce, I think the biggest underlying issue is the fact that we don’t have a playmaker on our team.

You look at other teams, they’ve got Gaudreau, Connor, Marner and Matthews, McDick, Panarin, Zegras, Kane etc, all of them are playmakers with the exception of Matthews that are able to use their elite puck skills to create space for themselves and to find their respective triggerman to hand over the puck too upon zone entry. 

We don’t have any of that. Pettersson and Boeser are too passive, they need someone to get the puck to them in order for them to be effective offensively. Horvat plays more of a North-South game but isn’t the type of guy that demands the puck at all times in the offensive zone. Miller creates chances off of opportunities rather than set plays. 

We need a playmaker, an offensive player who’s sole purpose is to create chances for his teammates. 

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, drdeath said:

There was absolutely time for someone from the center ice side of the bench to come over the boards and track back with Gaudreau. Miller had about 5 seconds from this moment to get to the bench before Johnny received the puck and his replacement would need to get involved in the play. Extra forward also might have made it harder for Mangiapane to enter the zone onside.

image.thumb.png.2290eb885f9a0942bba79be9e812fecc.png

I was there. It would have been too many men. Don't blame the guys on the bench, blame Miller. Selfish, selfish play. It was actually disgusting. I paid money for that crap.