The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] February 9, 2022 NY Islanders @ Vancouver Canucks at 7:30 on SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

First goal he could have saved.

Second was a screen, hockey's a fast game and NHL players will capitalize in seconds. I don't blame him for that one. Demko could have given that one up too.

Third was a deflection. Deflections can beat Demko. I don't fault Halak.

Third was a defensive breakdown, that pass should never have gotten through. Juulsen lost his man. I don't blame Halak.

Fifth was a skill move by a star talent in Barzal, those goals happen. Maybe Demko saves it, maybe he doesn't.

I'm not convinced Demko would be doing much better given the effort we've seen in front of Halak tonight. 

I would say it would probably 2-1 islanders with Demko in net. He would catch the puck or cover it up instead of that 1st goal, he would tip the puck that went through the blue ice instead of shying away. He would probably would save that Barzal breakaway too by coming more out of the net. Halak was playing way too deep into his own net. But Canucks are also playing very weak defensively, Juulsen has been complete garbage.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Actually it really isn’t, the bigger issue is when Halak has played our goals for average this year is around 2, Demko bails us out a lot it's about time the team helps out the goalies. 

Goalie is a part of the team. We invested in goaltending other teams don't. This is why we have Demko not Mike Smith. The team plays the same way regardless of who's in net.

Of the 4 goalies that played for us this year Halak has been far and away the worst. 

No excuse for him being outplayed by AHL/ECHL goalies. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Let's hope for 5-5 at the end of the second period.

If we’re 5-5 by the end of the 2nd, I’ll punch this Isles fan sitting behind me in the face. Remind the puke he’s an Islanders fan and should be ashamed of his life.

Very strong chance I might end up behind bars tonight. Let’s hope not. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I would say it would probably 2-1 islanders with Demko in net. He would catch the puck or cover it up instead of that 1st goal, he would tip the puck that went through the blue ice instead of shying away. He would probably would save that Barzal breakaway too by coming more out of the net. Halak was playing way too deep into his own net. But Canucks are also playing very weak defensively, Juulsen has been complete garbage.

I don't agree, but I respect your take. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, x00x said:

To be frank, id rather just coast threw the rest of the season, trade a couple high priced players get some young studs and have the new management and bruce build us a championship team , miller is worth so much right now, you almost have to trade him and get the most you can

I am not team tank but I am supportive of making any move at any time that makes us better overall. In this case, I think you need to cash in with Miller. Set us up long term

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Goalie is a part of the team. We invested in goaltending other teams don't. This is why we have Demko not Mike Smith. The team plays the same way regardless of who's in net.

Of the 4 goalies that played for us this year Halak has been far and away the worst. 

Getting outshot as often as we do is not a recipe for success. The team has to play better defensively. Tonight, they have failed miserably. 

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Going into this game he had a 2.4 GAA and a .918 save percentage. Despite that he only had a 2-4-2 record.

Not sure what more you could ask. Almost every game he has played the players in front of him were slacking immensely. 

If anything we need to learn how to win games more consistently without vezina calibre goaltending.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1