The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, khay said:

lol we are paying 3 mil for a player that doesn't even give you quarter of a season in Hamonic now.

Sutter has been able to keep Tanev healthy thus far.

Yeah Hamonic is a bigger mistake. But can def understand the line of thinking why Tanev was let go, even though I wish we had kept him. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm not really getting the doom and gloom, they're still playing very good hockey overall.  Every team has off games, off periods.  I loved their pushback after the 1st.  

Thing is that this team can't afford losing games given the situation in the standings. If you want to climb back into the playoff spots you have to win games, at least you have to get a point out of the game. 7 points behind teams like the Ducks and Kings. Calgary with 5 games in hand compared to Canucks. It's no longer about playing well or not, it's only about points.

39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That last stat, .500 (12-12-2) seems wrong. I get that he's just looking for an interesting stat but he should at least get it right?

26 games dates back to Montreal game.

We won 15 games. Lost 7 games in regulation and 4 in OT/SO.

15-7-4 in the last 26.

15-7-4 is not bad but St. Louis went 30-10-5 to finish the season in 2019.

We have 34 games left. We probably need to get minimum 44 points (probably will just miss out) so about 48 points to make the playoffs.

Need 24 wins. That's going to be a tall task.

We need some help on the backend to free up OEL a bit. It's refreshing to see OEL put up points, which goes to show how much of a shutdown work he had to do and I'm 100% sure that he's injured.

Edited by khay
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

The playoffs were a pipe dream long ago and it's unfair to expect this team to play .650 hockey to the end.  

I think we need 22 wins to have a chance and 24 wins could see us make it.

1. 10 games left against teams at or below 500. 8 at home against SEAx2, ARZ, NJD, MTL, DET, BUF, OTT and 2 on the road against NJD and ARZ. 

We need to win at least 8 out of 10 games against weaker teams. Very doable given that 8 games are at home.

2. 11 games against Pacific division teams (excl SEA): LA, EDM, ANA, SJSx2, CGYx3, LVKx3.

We need to win 7 out of 11 games against the Pacific. This is hard to do but you've gotta beat teams in your division if you want to make the playoffs. If we fail here, say good bye to the playoffs. We need to beat LA, EDM, ANA, SJSx2 at the minimum for 6 wins, hopefully in the regulation as they are teams directly in contention with us. CGY and LVK are fighting for the division title so just getting as many points as possible from these games would be great be it via regulation or OT/SO.

3. 7 games good Central division teams: DALx2, STLx2, MINx2, COL.

We need 4 wins here. Split the games against DAL, STL, MIN, and hope for a miracle against Colorado.

4. 6 games against good teams from the EAST: WSH, TBL, TOR (home), NYR, TOR, NYI (away). 

We need about 3 out of 6 against the Eastern teams. 

I give us an outside chance at playoffs but it all hinges on winning those games against the Pacific teams. Gonna be hard since all those teams will come out hard.

3 minutes ago, khay said:

I think we need 22 wins to have a chance and 24 wins could see us make it.

1. 10 games left against teams at or below 500. 8 at home against SEAx2, ARZ, NJD, MTL, DET, BUF, OTT and 2 on the road against NJD and ARZ. 

We need to win at least 8 out of 10 games against weaker teams. Very doable given that 8 games are at home.

2. 11 games against Pacific division teams (excl SEA): LA, EDM, ANA, SJSx2, CGYx3, LVKx3.

We need to win 7 out of 11 games against the Pacific. This is hard to do but you've gotta beat teams in your division if you want to make the playoffs. If we fail here, say good bye to the playoffs. We need to beat LA, EDM, ANA, SJSx2 at the minimum for 6 wins, hopefully in the regulation as they are teams directly in contention with us. CGY and LVK are fighting for the division title so just getting as many points as possible from these games would be great be it via regulation or OT/SO.

3. 7 games good Central division teams: DALx2, STLx2, MINx2, COL.

We need 4 wins here. Split the games against DAL, STL, MIN, and hope for a miracle against Colorado.

4. 6 games against good teams from the EAST: WSH, TBL, TOR (home), NYR, TOR, NYI (away). 

We need about 3 out of 6 against the Eastern teams. 

I give us an outside chance at playoffs but it all hinges on winning those games against the Pacific teams. Gonna be hard since all those teams will come out hard.

They've played more games than anyone ahead or behind them, save for Anaheim.  They're 6 points back of a wildcard spit with 4 teams to jump, all of whom have games in hand.  Not only do they need to play almost flawless hockey to the last game, they need 5-6 teams to go down the crapper as well.  

I'm just going to enjoy watching them play hard and the likely moves at the deadline and see what this team might look like after March 21.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

They've played more games than anyone ahead or behind them, save for Anaheim.  They're 6 points back of a wildcard spit with 4 teams to jump, all of whom have games in hand.  Not only do they need to play almost flawless hockey to the last game, they need 5-6 teams to go down the crapper as well.  

I'm just going to enjoy watching them play hard and the likely moves at the deadline and see what this team might look like after March 21.

We were never catching Calgary. 

We are almost caught up with San Jose and I fully expect us to pass them. So that's one team down.

Edmonton might be burning down? They had a bit of a turnaround but firing the coach, it could go either way. That's potentially second team down.

That leaves LA, Anaheim, and Dallas.

The only reason why Anaheim might finish ahead of us is Gibson. Otherwise, I think they falter. They are like us but they didn't have Travis Green as their coach for the first 25 games. But they have Dallas Eakins who I think is like Travis Green but maybe he has better assistant coaches than Baumer?

Anaheim has Seattle, Chicago x 2, NJD, Arizona, PHI, and CBJ as "easy" games. They have some tough games remaining like 4 against Florida teams plus Nashville. Maybe their losing streak will come at the end of the season. 

LA and Dallas will be hard to catch. But 7 points is not impossible (I assume that Dallas will have 7 points on us when they play the games in hand).

We have one game left against LA and 2 against Dallas. We just have to catch one of them. Win those games in regulation and we have 5 points and 3 points gap.

For sure, let's enjoy the games but I don't think we should give up until it's really over. This group has been resilient, very different from last season where the team just sort of gave up after COVID outbreak. This season, they never quit even when shorthanded. Even last night, they amounted a bit of a comeback.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I dunno the way I look at it is Calgary and Vegas are almost sure to finish 1-2.

That leaves the third spot, which is still pretty wide open IMO.

That leaves them fighting with LA, Anaheim, San Jose, and Edmonton. Two of those teams I could see falling off down the stretch (Edmonton and San Jose).

So if they’re battling LA and Anaheim it’s still a tough task, but basically they need to make up around 10 points on those two teams over the next two months.

That’s where Bruce’s “win the week” strategy will be how they have to look at it. Essentially if they get one more point a week than those two teams they make it.

And that makes those head to head matchups critical. And obviously an extended winning streak by us at any point would make a huge difference.

Of course this is all just a what if and all those teams could get hot down the stretch. But my point is this thing is far from over. Things have a way of looking much different week to week.

Edited by DeNiro

2 hours ago, stawns said:

There's no such thing as "unacceptable".  That's a meaningless platitude you say in public.  You accept you had a bad period and move on........what are they going to do, fire everyone?

They played two excellent periods after that, I'm happy with that.

Unacceptable as in, if they arent going to show up, i wont either. I have better things to do with my time when guys who get paid millions and should care a lot more than a fan doesn't get himself ready for his workday. 

So yeah i skipped through the final 40. 

4-0 was enough for me. 

Also i only watch pvrd games now. It gives me the option to watch the full 60 or the first 20 depending on whether the boys decided to show up. 

That being said, it was the first time under BB who have now coached 20+ games where the guys didnt try their best. 

I think fans being ok with players not giving it their best every moment they step on the ice contributes to the losing culture. That kind of complacency is what creates a country club atmosphere. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well not going to say told you so yet.   But getting closer.   I think at this time we can say the "Bruce Bump" is over.   Even if we go on another winning streak, Green did that often enough as well.   It's like a yo-yo with this team.   For whatever reasons few players are on at the same time lol.   That said we do have some that come to play every night - QHs, Myers, Motte, OEL (yes last night wasn't a good one for him), Garland Demko and Miller.   Highmore and Schenn too.    To bad EP (one of his better games) and BB haven't got the memo yet.   It's frustrating but it's also been like this most of our entire history.   Imagine if the Sedins peaked early while Naslund was doing  his thing!?   Even Cloutier league worst playoff save percentage for goalies who've played 25 games in the post season wouldn't matter.    Ugh .  Back to .500 (again isn't this the third time we could work on getting past one game above .500?!)..

Sucks to be so bad and so good at the same time.    That's the Canucks way though isn't it?    Rather be bad bad bad and then good good great.    Love our team and always want them to win.   But maybe the best medicine right now is re-setting an unfinished rebuild.  

Agreed. This defence was never built by the previous management. Hughes & Rathbone are a start but we need a healthy stream of prospects on the blue line that hasn’t been addressed. No more quick and expensive fixes in free agency I hope. Only so much that a MDZ,Myers,Hamonic can offer. Our blue line is one of the most expensive in the league yet produces the least amount of offence. We need to draft and develop more talent to play with QH43 and to fill in our other two pairings. Unfortunately defence takes a bit of time to develop but we need this more than anything on our roster. Hopefully we can use our first this year for Quinn’s future partner, gain some more picks and build up our D pipeline. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, lmm said:

so there are 8 players left from that playoff bubble run

and there is talk some of them will be traded

There is talk that making the playoffs helps a team grow

and yet the 8 players left from that "Experience" are the players still not ready to play the last 2 games (EXCEPT FOR Demko, he was ready)

that playoff experience cost us a 1st + a 3rd for  Miller

a 2nd for Toffoli

and potential returns on

Markstom 

Tanev

Fantenberg

Stetcher

was it worth it?

Exactly.  It wasn't worth it.

There is a point when you have to be realistic and accept your assets need to be managed for the future... not blown on a one time cinderella run.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Keep cheering for the losses. 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Unacceptable as in, if they arent going to show up, i wont either. I have better things to do with my time when guys who get paid millions and should care a lot more than a fan doesn't get himself ready for his workday. 

So yeah i skipped through the final 40. 

4-0 was enough for me. 

Also i only watch pvrd games now. It gives me the option to watch the full 60 or the first 20 depending on whether the boys decided to show up. 

That being said, it was the first time under BB who have now coached 20+ games where the guys didnt try their best. 

I think fans being ok with players not giving it their best every moment they step on the ice contributes to the losing culture. That kind of complacency is what creates a country club atmosphere. 

then you actually missed a very entertaining, well played last 40 mins from them

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2