The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Most New Jersey dans dont even like Zacha complaining on twitter and NJ beat writers saying Zacha is a lazy player who competes only when he wants to. 

Hard no for me

thanks, you nailed it.

even the hockey analyst covering the New Jersey Devils don't like what Zacha brings.

The last rumor is that Pavel Zacha is finally being shopped and teams are interested, as per Hockey Buzz. Though he is by no means a great source compared to the insiders at TSN or Sportsnet up in Canada, this does give some hope the Devils could move on from Zacha. Hopefully, Vancouver is one of the interested teams, and while a 1 for 1 is out of the question if the Devils lower the price by throwing him in they should take it and run. Zacha has 11 goals which is one less than Boeser and one more than Garland which could easily fool someone who does not watch him and should play to the Devil’s advantage.

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Zacha is an interesting piece for me. 

He definitely isn't worth either Garland or Boeser though.  Besides I think Brock is gonna take less and sign. Apparently he really wants to stay. I don't think Zacha would cost that much unless we made it into a better deal. If it was just Zacha I could see Hoglander and Poolman/Dickinson (they take a slightly inflated contract back). I wouldn't trade Hoglander tho, I think he is just going through the typical sophomore slump. He always competes, wins battles, is hard on the puck and causes turnovers. The offence will come, he does all the right things offensively. He gets chance after chance. If they want to make a deal bigger and do Zacha +(prospect Bahl maybe?) + 2nd for Garland fine. 

The problem I have with Zacha is he is 1 year away from UFA and he needs a new contract. If he doesn't like the number its easy for him to take a 1 year deal and walk. Just looking at comparable's he is probably going to command close to 4 million. That might be slightly high but error on the side of caution. Can we afford that? If he plays in the top 6 fair enough, but if he is our 3rd line C that is probably too high. 

Now it sounds like he's mostly been used on the wing this season? Although every season prior he was a C? He has decent f/o numbers which is good. Career 46% but last few up around 50%. Good versatility and could play C or W on Petey's line or at least take the F/o like Miller did. Apparently he plays PK but I have no idea how good he is in that department. The problem is we need a third C badly. 

We need to get wingers that crash and bang, and have an edge. From all accounts he is a bigger body, like a Pearson or Dickinson. Doesn't play big or nasty. He definitely has better offensive upside and I could see him really doing well here. It just comes down to the price to acquire him. 

I think you’re right about keeping Hogz over Gar. I really like both players, but Garland has the higher trade value right now.  Both players look to me like 40 point second line guys. I give Hogz the edge only because he is cost controlled and I think has more defensive awareness than Garland.

Lately Garland has been skating all over with the puck but skates himself into a corner and gets trapped then try’s to dish off the puck to no one and the play dies…I like his tenacity but he is shut down very easily. Hogz on the other hand while maybe not as confident with the puck right now makes smarter plays than Garland if he knows he’s in trouble, I think Hogz is better defensively.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Saw and interesting line suggestion, if the Canucks pursue trades with NJ and NYR

Podkolzin - Zacha - Kravtsov

could be good

Have to say the size and skill could be pretty intriguing.  I am curious if Miller is traded if this gives us the C depth going forward of Petey, Bo and Zacha.

If Miller nets us Kravtsov and Schneider, and Dickenson + nets us a currently out of favour Zacha we could actually be setup pretty nicely.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Have to say the size and skill could be pretty intriguing.  I am curious if Miller is traded if this gives us the C depth going forward of Petey, Bo and Zacha.

If Miller nets us Kravtsov and Schneider, and Dickenson + nets us a currently out of favour Zacha we could actually be setup pretty nicely.

Don't see why NJD would take back Dickinson.  There's trade interest in Zacha - teams are actively calling NJD per Marek.  He's a RFA so they could also just clear his cap by not qualifying him if he fell so much out of favour.  There's no real reason for them to take a cap dump back.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't see why NJD would take back Dickinson.  There's trade interest in Zacha - teams are actively calling NJD per Marek.  He's a RFA so they could also just clear his cap by not qualifying him if he fell so much out of favour.  There's no real reason for them to take a cap dump back.

Definitely true.  Was just thinking that since they have cap they may want a serviceable player back as well.  I have to think Dickinson is better than what we’ve seen but either way we need to add something of value.  Was banking a bit on Zacha’s value dropping a bit based on what was discussed about his compete level.

16 hours ago, AngryElf said:

Some of us are overvaluing cap space. You gain that by having players on team friendly deals or those who outplay their contract. 

Both apply to Garland. Dealing him would be a mistake imo. 

It might be... but you gotta give to get... We are in dire need of a good 3rd line C, and he seems to fit the bill...

Regardless its good to hear Canucks re pursuing other avenues than usual ones suggested... 

Finally, it could also be a smokescreen to Rangers or other suitors to Miller, that we can find the players we need elsewhere, if they don't wanna play ball. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Management needs to shed salary somewhere. Garland is good value that’s true. Top six player for $5M. We’d need a good player back at a cost control. Zacha would be RFA, which means he’s a cost controlled player right? 

They’re about the same age at 24/25 years old. But unlike Garland, Zacha would be up for a new deal. Could he demand something similar to Garland if not more? 

Management also wanted to get bigger...

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Jersey wants Garland and the term of his contract.  

Garland + Dickinson for Zacha + 2nd?

• Like 2

It's funny how one guy in the media says something and suddenly it becomes a thing. I wonder if JR is shaking his head thinking "where do these people come up with this stuff?"

But, I suppose it could also be a real thing, because Marek probably has his sources and we don't really know what's going on. Sure gets people talking though, this rumour is heating up. 

Zacha is young (24), big and plays C and wing. He's also cheaper than Garland, and the Canucks want to shed salary, so it makes some sense. Could be a Garland for Zacha straight up trade though, so I hope some are prepared for that.

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jersey wants Garland and the term of his contract.  

Garland + Dickinson for Zacha + 2nd?

I don't love the idea of getting rid of Garland, who we have on a team friendly cap hit, but I would be okay with it if it means we can unload Dickinson. Maybe also try to get Nathan Bastian back? Basically replaces what Dickinson has given us for 1/3 the cap hit.

Then re-sign Zacha at 3.5-4M aav and we save >3M in cap space. We then have enough cap space for Miller's raise.

Edited by Diamonds

40 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It might be... but you gotta give to get... We are in dire need of a good 3rd line C, and he seems to fit the bill...

Regardless its good to hear Canucks re pursuing other avenues than usual ones suggested... 

Finally, it could also be a smokescreen to Rangers or other suitors to Miller, that we can find the players we need elsewhere, if they don't wanna play ball. 

FWIW

The sixth player taken in the 2015 NHL Draft is a late bloomer who is finally beginning to show his talents as he approaches his prime. His size and strength make him tough to move in the offensive zone, and he is willing to go to the dirty areas. He is not a big-time playmaker at the highest level but his shot is a major weapon. Therefore, he is probably a more effective winger than center in the NHL.

Very much agree on your second point. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

But Garland is 5'10 with the heart of a lion!

Seriously though I wonder if he'd get runned down in the playoffs? I'm guessing yes.

Love Garlands tenacity, and don't mind him in the line up...

However, management has stated they wanted to get younger, faster and bigger.. add to that the obvious need for at least a 3rd line centre with Sutter out, so think it makes sense... ?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

FWIW

The sixth player taken in the 2015 NHL Draft is a late bloomer who is finally beginning to show his talents as he approaches his prime. His size and strength make him tough to move in the offensive zone, and he is willing to go to the dirty areas. He is not a big-time playmaker at the highest level but his shot is a major weapon. Therefore, he is probably a more effective winger than center in the NHL.

Very much agree on your second point. 

I'm not sure what difference c or w make in the Ozone.  Once you're on the attack it's f1, f2, f3

The Canucks want to shed salary, and I wonder if it's so they can re-sign Miller and Boeser.  Garland might be the trade chip that helps this happen. Pearson could be on the outs too?  

What about the D?  Myers makes $6, but other RDs like Schenn, Burroughs and Juulsen have stepped up lately, and if Hamonic is back for good?  Could add Myers to a possible trade.