The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

50 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There is definitely a ton of bias in this market. I think Garland has been a great pickup for the Canucks, but some people think Garland is not a great fit (ridiculous).

I agree i wouldn't move him unless it was a stupid offer not too guy is a warrior and creates alot of space and is a huge pest, cant be same said for Zacha 

Zacha for Garland straight up is on the cards and makes our team better. Pretty lateral trade, we lose a bit of skill in Garland but gain size and someone who can play 3C in Zacha.

Will really open up a Miller trade if we get Zacha first...and if we don't, we've got some great center depth and options. Loading Bo and Miller together with Brock was too much for Toronto to handle early in the game. Petey as 2C with Podkolzin and the Zacha nailing down the 3rd line gives us some good depth and hopefully takes checking responsibility away from Bo.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Rutherford might not see Garland as part of the team going forward.  Rachel Doerrie worked for NJD under Hynes and would have insight on Zacha.

Doerrie really doesn't have alot of say in terms of the team, as far as JR i doubt it Bruce seems to really like Garland but JR was also quoted saying they really aren't looking to move one of the scorers so i doubt Garland is on the way out 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

Doerrie really doesn't have alot of say in terms of the team, as far as JR i doubt it Bruce seems to really like Garland but JR was also quoted saying they really aren't looking to move one of the scorers so i doubt Garland is on the way out 

Where was that JR quote about not looking to move a scorer?  

Rutherford wants to hear from everyone before making a decision - probably also the analytics angle.  Would guess she would feed her intel to Aidan Fox who leads the department and he would be part of the discussions on who to target from the different teams.  Someone has decided that Zacha would be an interesting target.  

I really like Zacha from what I've watched.

I think Garland has a bit more value, especially to NJD cuz he's locked up, and they're not exactly an attractive destination right now. I know Rutherford has stated increasing  cap space as a major goal. Rather than NJD adding a sweetener, I wonder if they would take on cap.

Dickinson hasn't really pulled his cap weight since getting here. If Zacha was acquired the Canucks could play any of Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Zacha, Lammikko at C (and Highmore in a pinch). NJD doesn't really a shutdown C, they have cap space, and could give Dickinson another chance.

Garland + Dickinson for Zacha + a throw-in depth player for the season (Bastian over Chiasson? Geertsen over Hunt?).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If NJD would take some cap, I'd do Garland + Dickinson + Poolman for Zacha and a pick (2nd or 3rd?).

As much as everyone would love Miller for Schneider, I think he's playing his way into their untouchables list. Rather, I'd keep Miller and use the extra cap we save with this trade + Luongo's 3M coming off the books to finally sign Ristolainen for 5.5M. He's having an off year so might be able to snag him cheap.

Boeser - Miller - Pettersson

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Zacha - Motte

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood

Hughes - Ristolainen

OEL - Myers

Schenn - Hamonic

Rathbone

Decent up front, decent 5 centers, decent size and toughness across our defence, could throw Rathbone in to replace Schenn if we want more puck moving ability. Really beefs up our team without sacrificing offence.

• Cheers 1

People have said straight up for garland or boes hahaha! The same people who would pay to get rid of dickinson / pears....

Zacha is literally a hybrid between those two players. Nothing special at this point. Watching a highlight reel is a bad way to judge a player. What does he bring to a terrible devils team? We don't improve our team trading top 6 for middle 6 guys

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Don’t trade top 6 pieces for bottom 6 pieces. Bottom 6 guys are easy to replace through failed top prospects or free agency. It’s much harder to get top 6 guys! If Garland is getting traded out you need to be getting top prospects with top 6 potential which Zacha and McLeod are not.

I think he was on a 55 point pace last year, so I'd say he's a tweener there.  He can also play C and help out the pk.........they have other needs tyey have to fill.  Again, I'd rather use Boeser than Garland, but they likely want cost controlled players coming back

Am I completely missing something here, cause I'm shocked I just read poster willing to trade Boeser for Zacha straight up. Garland for Zacha straight up would well like a huge loss to me. I don't mind us targeting Zacha, but how people are just willing to give up our best trade chips away for a 25-35 point center, who has ok center abilities but has fallen out of favour due to reported consistency seems crazy to me.

• Like 3

Marek says " We believe the Canucks are interested in, or at least curious about"

does not mean the Canucks ARE interested; just that Marek, and as many personalities he has in his head to deserve the royal "we",  believe they are.....

Edited by gurn

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think he was on a 55 point pace last year, so I'd say he's a tweener there.  He can also play C and help out the pk.........they have other needs tyey have to fill.  Again, I'd rather use Boeser than Garland, but they likely want cost controlled players coming back

That was his best year and now he’s on pace for 40 this year. Tweener is fine to say because it’s hard to get two top 6 centers on a team at a time. For a Stanley Cup contending team Zacha is a 3rd liner. I think the minute you start trading top 6 talent for middle/bottom 6 talent we’ll be struggling to score goals with bad offensive depth. If Garland is getting traded with that much term left to NJ Mercer should be the player coming back.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

That was his best year and now he’s on pace for 40 this year. Tweener is fine to say because it’s hard to get two top 6 centers on a team at a time. For a Stanley Cup contending team Zacha is a 3rd liner. I think the minute you start trading top 6 talent for middle/bottom 6 talent we’ll be struggling to score goals with bad offensive depth. If Garland is getting traded with that much term left to NJ Mercer should be the player coming back.

You could say the same about both boeser and Garland though, both significantly off their pace of last year and all three on a pace to be within 10 points of each other this year.........the difference being Zacha can play C and help the pk.

That said, NJD would have to sweeten the deal for either player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Kind of contradicts JR exact words.

she will have an equal voice and her voice  like others will all be heard. 
If she has insight into a player and that player checks off some of the boxes of what the team is looking. 
The management needs to be looked at

a more of committee Shes part of it. 
they just had a meeting to talk about the direction and needs they see this team needing. 
pretty clear JR had the final say but why hire a group of smart diverse individuals if your not going to listen them.

• Cheers 2