The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Pavel Zacha

50 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

But Garland is 5'10 with the heart of a lion!

Seriously though I wonder if he'd get runned down in the playoffs? I'm guessing yes.

I don't think so. I get tired of his size being brought up all the time. He finds a way, and draws a lot of penalties. I get he may be trade bait based on his good contract and age but Garland is a gamer. Size isn't everything. Skill, tenacity, will. Garland over Taylor Pyatt any and every day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pears said:

So you just conveniently ignore the 10 points he put up in his last 11 before tonight?

I think you understand what I’m saying. Yes it’s great to see points on the board and he’s definitely showing signs of improvement. It’s just that there is so much pressure on this young man to carry a huge amount of weight for this team moving forward. I’m just critical of the style of playAnd questionable of his ability to adjust to that role and have the physical tools to be able to compete in a playoff style atmosphere.

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's funny how one guy in the media says something and suddenly it becomes a thing. I wonder if JR is shaking his head thinking "where do these people come up with this stuff?"

But, I suppose it could also be a real thing, because Marek probably has his sources and we don't really know what's going on. Sure gets people talking though, this rumour is heating up. 

Zacha is young (24), big and plays C and wing. He's also cheaper than Garland, and the Canucks want to shed salary, so it makes some sense. Could be a Garland for Zacha straight up trade though, so I hope some are prepared for that.

Zacka has a big frame, but doesn't use it.  He will be a RFA at the end of this season, so his salary will increase.

My preference would be Sharangovich, if at all possible.  Podz   Shar/Klim   Shar Klim :o

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 1

Unless, the asset going to NJ is Pearson or Dickenson - I would pass, for now.

Trading assets (especially - futures), for a RFA complementary type player, is a waste of time & asset cause the Zacha types should be acquired later - when the roster is competitive: just look, at Tampa when they acquired Coleman & Goodrow.   Allvin should be loading up on picks for these next two drafts; and so far, I like the approach of letting things play out and letting a market develope for the TDL or the offseason.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I think you understand what I’m saying. Yes it’s great to see points on the board and he’s definitely showing signs of improvement. It’s just that there is so much pressure on this young man to carry a huge amount of weight for this team moving forward. I’m just critical of the style of playAnd questionable of his ability to adjust to that role and have the physical tools to be able to compete in a playoff style atmosphere.

Watch what he did in the bubble then get back to me. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Unless, the asset going to NJ is Pearson or Dickenson - I would pass, for now.

Trading assets (especially - futures), for a RFA complementary type player, is a waste of time & asset cause the Zacha types should be acquired later - when the roster is competitive: just look, at Tampa when they acquired Coleman & Goodrow.   Allvin should be loading up on picks for these next two drafts; and so far, I like the approach of letting things play out and letting a market develope for TDL or the offseason.

This. Zacha has shown little and does not play to his size. I as much as anyone want this team bigger. But it has to be size with will, not just size. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

This. Zacha has shown little and does not play to his size. I as much as anyone want this team bigger. But it has to be size with will, not just size. 

Yeah, seems to remind of Matthias - plays small and would rather prefer, a smaller but tenacious player, that knows & executes his role.  The right time, will come to acquire  complementary players but right now, is not the time cause the core - is not set & competitive.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

For anyone old enough to remember.

Zacha reminds me of Hanzal.  Same big body, same skating, same potential same unwillingness to use that size.  Hanzals claim to fame was essentially taking out the twins in one game.

But otherwise effective 3rd line C to an extent for a few years in his career not much more

51 minutes ago, rekker said:

I don't think so. I get tired of his size being brought up all the time. He finds a way, and draws a lot of penalties. I get he may be trade bait based on his good contract and age but Garland is a gamer. Size isn't everything. Skill, tenacity, will. Garland over Taylor Pyatt any and every day.

Yeah, unless the assets going back are futures (for these next two drafts) and a RHD prospect, Garland should stay.  The focus should be on developing the core; and and any asset going back should includes: high potential picks & prospects.   

• Upvote 1

Would love to get Zacha, but I wouldn't trade Garland for him straight up. Garland is locked up already--which gives him value--and is a more consistent performer.

Zacha has an amazing shot, and can be a net presence, but there are questions around his effort. That being said, I think Boudreau could unlock some of his potential. 

Edited by Nave

I would do Garland for Zacha. NJD will want more. Why would they trade a bigger guy for a smaller guy with similar offensive output. 

Plus Zacha plays C and LW. Provides more versatility than Garland. 

Doesn't use his size very aggressively but 5'10 165lbs vs 6'3 210lbs. He doesn't have to be as tenacious.  His size helps him. 

No benefit for NJD to make this move unless we pay to get him. Zacha will get 5+ mill per year this summer on his next contract. So contracts will be similar. 

NJD likely wants Boeser for Zacha.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

Does anyone watch Zacha? Or does everyone “love to get him” because of his draft ranking and his size? His points aren’t great, although on a poor team, but what am I missing here? Garland for zacha is crazy to me. 

It would be a desperate move to upgrade size.

Not very good value though.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I would do Garland for Zacha. NJD will want more. Why would they trade a bigger guy for a smaller guy with similar offensive output. 

Plus Zacha plays C and LW. 

Doesn't use his size aggressively but 5'10 165lbs vs 6'3 210lbs. He doesn't have to be as tenacious.  His size helps him.

No benefit for NJD to make this move unless we pay to get him. Zacha will get 5+ mill per year this summer on his next contract. So contracts will be similar. 

NJD likely wants Boeser for Zacha.

Super bowl drinks early eh? This is crazy. 

Just because Zacha is 6'3 doesn't mean we should give up Garland. By your logic we should go trade Garland for Matt Martin because he is 6'3 220. Zacha is no where near worth 5 million. He will be lucky to get 4 max unless we trade for him and he becomes a PPG player. 

Garland always gives max effort and coaches know what they are getting. Zacha apparently has consistency issues?

I like Zacha, I think he would fit in nicely here and probably see is point totals rise. However, this is a type of trade if you make it, you have to find a way to definitively win it. NJD has no leverage here. By all accounts he isn't sticking around in NJ so they will probably take something over nothing. 

But Boeser or Garland for Zacha is a huge step back for us. Either of those trades would turn out worse than any trade Benning made

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It would be a desperate move to upgrade size.

Not very good value though.

I know JB traded and signed garland so with the new regime there isn’t that tie to him. But it would be a bad look imo to trade for, sign, and then trade away a player all within half a season. Anyways of course I’m all for upgrading the team but a move to make a move is silly. Yes Garland is short, but he’s good. Trade the other small players not producing. I saw Boeser for Zacha?! Wtf is that?? 

Been a good game to watch between NJD and PIT.

3-2 Pitt 2 mins to go. NJD has goalie pulled.

Crosby might get his 500th in empty netter. Keith Tkachuk was last guy to score his 500th in empty net..

Zacha had an assistant in 2nd period but I missed that goal. 

Jack Hughes is going to be a star for years to come.. kids good.

Edit Guentzel got the empty netter

Edited by WHL rocks

23 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Super bowl drinks early eh? This is crazy. 

Just because Zacha is 6'3 doesn't mean we should give up Garland. By your logic we should go trade Garland for Matt Martin because he is 6'3 220. Zacha is no where near worth 5 million. He will be lucky to get 4 max unless we trade for him and he becomes a PPG player. 

Garland always gives max effort and coaches know what they are getting. Zacha apparently has consistency issues?

I like Zacha, I think he would fit in nicely here and probably see is point totals rise. However, this is a type of trade if you make it, you have to find a way to definitively win it. NJD has no leverage here. By all accounts he isn't sticking around in NJ so they will probably take something over nothing. 

But Boeser or Garland for Zacha is a huge step back for us. Either of those trades would turn out worse than any trade Benning made

He'd get a lot more than 5 mill if he was a ppg player. EP40 isn't even a ppg player and he got 7.3 mill.

He can't just leave. NHL cba rules don't allow Zacha to just leave without NJD getting something back because he doesn't feel like sticking around..

Zacha is a very good player. If JR wants him it's going to cost. He's stuck behind Hughes and Hichier at C and on a very bad team. 

Alvin and JR know Zacha very well. They were together in PIT for many years watching Zacha in their division.  

If they want him they know what they're getting. 

IF we are looking to trade Miller we're desperately going to need a C to replace Miller. Zacha plays 3C and LW in NJD. 

I listen to Jeff Marek show quite a bit. He's a respected guy. Wouldn't make this up..  I've said on here before Marek is the best hockey show on radio. 

Edited by WHL rocks

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Scored almost as much as Boeser last season and is in the ballpark this season ......plus he plays C and can ok.  It's not necessarily about individual players as it is team needs

• Vintage 1