The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I see zero reason to pay to move him. Unless we get a decent asset in return for us retaining. There is no reason not to just let him play out his last year. 

Yup.  Myers will actually have value (2nd rounder?) at the 2024 TDL, and we would only need to retain for the rest of that season.  

• Cheers 1

Honestly, trade him as soon as possible....as with Brock, as with Miller, as with Garland.  Draft picks and cap space.  Cap space would be the key for me as that can be used to take expiring bad contracts for more picks which are badly needed at this point.  While we suck, I'd like to see some nasty pieces of work on the team too.

• Like 1
  • There it is 2

15 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Keep Myers and trade him at the next deadline with 50% retained for a 3rd & 7th round pick 

If they can trade him sooner, with minimal/no retention and taking back expiring cap, we're far better off IMO. Even if you can theoretically get more for him next TDL, there's opportunity cost to not opening up cap space sooner, not addressing our poor fitting top 4 sooner etc. Never mind the risk of him getting injured, the market contracting etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Toronto apparently likes term, likes multiples.  If they're looking at buying from us, they are probably looking at more than one piece.  They want a winger for the 2nd line, and they want a rhd.  Garland, Boesser, Myers and Schenn are all basically available.  Look at Engvall, Kerfoot, and Holl coming back, and then start adding the prospects and picks.  We aren't in it to win it this year, and they are.  What is wrong with loading up a team and watching them win, while you reap the future rewards?  Even if it is Toronto.  You have the conversations...  Imagine if it was ....Boesser, Myers (1/2 retained), AND Demko going the other way?  The haul you'd get back would definitely be extensive and more than worth it if it moved the needle to the 2nd round.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I see zero reason to pay to move him. Unless we get a decent asset in return for us retaining. There is no reason not to just let him play out his last year. 

Agreed, if we can't get something for him we should ride it out til at least summer

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

This. Would love to see JRPA play hardball here. We can walk away from the table. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1