The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

3 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

Ive got high hopes Lockwood comes in to fill this role next year. He is another high energy puck hound who likes to hit (even though he isn't huge in stature). I think he is a good fit. I also hope Jasek returns as he could also be another player to fill the hole left.

Richardson is a stop gap this year, which should help in the dot and PK short term.

Management has made a stand and said the bottom six can no longer eat up the cap. The bottom 2 defenders will also be bargain deals. Its the start of some direction for management, but I would appreciate if they gave us a better picture of what the future plans are. Hopefully by beginning of next season we have a clearer view?

I felt Lockwood outplayed both Gadjovich and MacEwen last pre-season. He did need some defensive improvement though. We'll see if that happened this AHL season, but I am optimistic about him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Fully agree. I do think Motte will get 2 mil+ though, but it will be from Arizona, Seattle, Buffalo, Ottawa or some other team that needs what he brings in intangibles and are willing to pay for it, not a playoff team.

Yes I could see that and those teams have lots of cap room..

I'll be curious to see what kind of contract he will end up getting. I understand it might be too rich for Canuck blood, which is understandable, but the team will miss what he brought. Even if we have similar, but in my opinion, less effective 4th line players.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Good on Motte. I feel like we're really going to miss this guy's energy...particularly on the pk.  But, it is what is is I guess.

In his corner, hope he cashes in.

Nope.  I hate the Rags.  Motte can do well, but their team must lose.  (Unless playing the Leafs, of course.)

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, danjr said:

I been so busy with my job and a side reno job, haven't seen any hockey news at all.  Missed the entire trade deadline.
Thanks for the info.

Just wanna say your avatar is class

A3F3D476-DAEB-4809-BCBF-96ECD8196417.jpeg

14 hours ago, The Lock said:

Would you have preferred Motte just plain walk due to stalled contract negotiations? At least we got something instead of letting players just walk, and while it's easy to think "oh Motte would want to resign here for a good deal", how would we really know that?

So this might feel the same, but then let me ask you this: what deal would make you feel this is different? What exact deal? I think it's important to be able to answer that question if you feel things are the same, because it's easy to get into a rhythm of having certain expectations that will never be acheieved no matter what team you cheer for. Therefore, I encourage you to at the very least, ask yourself that question.

Oh I already had thought that out, to answer your question though, I would have liked to see him packaged with someone else as a deal sweeter and shed cap or even out for a top 4 RHD prospect. Something to that affect or at least a 3rd and if a team didn't have a 3rd then at least something else coming back with salary retained by whoever, kind of like OEL and Garland (ish) 

I think you know what mean. 

Personally I would have tried to make a deal with the sens including him in the Hamonic deal. 

Something like that, worse case scenario a 3rd or a prospect. 

A 4th in my op was just under his value since he has other things that some regular players just doesn't don't have so another case of a player's extra intangibles. 

Much like Myers and his height and reach advantage.. 

So that my reasoning, Motte has a lot going for him, he can PK and read plays well, skates well, shoots well and has a great drive most of all.

31 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

image.thumb.png.5209d9be3cd33fc02316157aedd3c0fe.png

Looks so wrong

Hey!  We needed that fourth rounder.  It might become a player like Motte.  

It's okay though.  We picked up a much younger and faster guy off waivers.

Getting younger and faster.  It's the new plan.  

Did we not have Tanev and Tofoli recently too?  We bleed good players so we can add crappier ones.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did we not have Tanev and Tofoli recently too?  We bleed good players so we can add crappier ones.  

Yeah nothing new under the sun in Vancouver, sadly it's been going on since the 74, but doesn't really matter if we don't. We'll sell the farm for a roster with next to no depth. 

Fans won't stand for building a team, we want it all NOW!!! Screw the future for one shot, why not? We have had more cups than we know what to do with! SMH sadly at the sea of sarcasm. 

What fun, great seasonal team and looks great until things get rough in the playoffs and down we go to injuries and no depth to fall back on.

Ho hum, more of the same.

41 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Oh I already had thought that out, to answer your question though, I would have liked to see him packaged with someone else as a deal sweeter and shed cap or even out for a top 4 RHD prospect.

This is actually one of the more reasonable takes to not like this trade. A package deal could’ve been nice.

Would’ve liked to see something like Miller, Motte and Rathbone sent to NY for a Laf, Schneider, 1st and Krav.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

19 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

:sick::sadno::sick::mad::(

:sick: is right.

Part of me hopes he gets paid handsomely by some team in Free Agency.

And another part of me hopes teams don't view him as a 2M+ dollar player, and he comes back to us in the summer @1.5-1.9M on a multi-year deal.

Regardless Motter will have always have a place in our hearts. (Ala Rypien, Manny, Dorsett, exc) Gunna be cheering for the Rags to pull off an upset in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

Let’s not forget,  we have Connor Garland at

4.95 m for 4 more years,   Perhaps he moves in the off-season,  and we are able to resign Motte around the 3 to 4m point as a UFA?

it’s hockey folks..  happy to see Motte get a better and big opportunity on this stretch with the Rangers.. perhaps we see him playing with top players bringing the best out of him.

• Haha 1

650 saying they tried to move Pearson and Myers but no takers right now, this gets revisited in off season, these would be huge wins, and I bet they try to replace myers with a better player/cheaper contract in UFA 

650 via seravelli also reported they talked to many teams about Garland and things got close and he could very well be moved in offseason and they will try to sign bossier to a good contract if they can't, they will let other teams talk to him and then move him. Can you Imagine what a home run of a deadline if we cleared the 9 million in the pears myers contracts...