The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was your favourite moment of the season

Rate this topic

spook007

47 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

The moment I realized that Podz could be the power forward we’ve been looking for. Just can’t quite remember the exact moment that was. It was more of a slow build I suppose.

i think thats my season highlight too

• Cheers 1

- Demko and Hughes having excellent seasons 

- JT scoring a ton and his swagger 

- lol that Meyers hit (long overdue payback for Daniel) 

- Bo hitting 30! 

- My favorite though is likely Peaty returning to form and once again (in my opinion) being our best forward to end the year and showing everyone just how ridiculously high his ceiling still is. 

• Like 1

Oh and special shoutout to OEL for having a really solid season (in one where you moved cities and the team was a dumpster fire for the first chunk). 

Yeah he gets paid too much and didn't get as much offensive opportunity with Hughes getting that, but played really hard all year and I thought looked great for 90% of it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Frank listening to my pleas on CDC and hiring Bruce.

FTR - I'm still pissed we came into the season with Green and Baumer, it is not water under the bridge and I still haven't forgiven Aquaman 

You calling him Frank like he's your neighbor? haha

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BCNate said:

Weird one, but seeing how uncomfortable Quinn Hughes was getting the attention on the jumbotron the other night when he broke the D scoring record.   He truly could not have given a $hit less about the individual record.  Really makes me think that there is a lot of confidence and belief in the room.

They really need to get a complete team around Hughes and Demko. Those two will probably end up being the best two Canucks at their positions, all time. The foundation is there for JR et all to build this.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Green being fired

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

Expected that to be top answer... probably followed Benning being sacked :)

13 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Green fired 

12 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

A new direction for this team with new hires

12 hours ago, combover said:

first half 
1 Jb getting fired 

2 green getting fired 

11 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Bruce Boudreau getting hired.

11 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

The purging.

9 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

1) Jim Benning getting fired

5 hours ago, DS4quality said:

1. Bruce Boudreau

It's clear that the change in Management/Coaching is undoubtedly the #1 highlight of the season for most "NORMAL" fans.  Too Bad Aqua-Lini wasn't as "tuned in and savvy" as the real fans who could see this train wreck long, long ago and who were clamoring for these changes more than 2-3 years ago - let alone screaming for change after last season's disaster.    And here we are again today with Jim Benning's line-up, out of the playoffs AGAIN and yet another wasted season!

Hopefully Aqua-lini sells this team soon to more astute owners who won't meddle and mis-direct the team.  That would be next years highlight for sure!

It still amazes me that Aqua-Lini actually gave those two clowns an extension last year.  WHAT WAS HE THINKING?  OMG!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, rekker said:

They really need to get a complete team around Hughes and Demko. Those two will probably end up being the best two Canucks at their positions, all time. The foundation is there for JR et all to build this.

I truly believe we are far closer than many people think.

-Hughes has potential to be a PPG D, while being solid defensively.  I'm not sure anyone in the league had a more impressive bounce back from last season

-We have 3 high end/elite centres in Miller, Bo, and EP

-Demko is a top 5 goalie in the league

-I think Lammikko, Highmore and Lockwood are an excellent, young and cost effective 4th line

-Boudreau is an outstanding coach.  What a breath of fresh air for this franchise

We have the hard pieces in place already, #1 D, #1C (x3), #1G.  

I think we need better wingers.  Podkolzin should just get better naturally, he has some pretty bug upside.  Pearson is a much bigger piece than he gets credit for.  Garland does a lot well, but man does he lack finish.  Boeser is a shooter with a wildly inaccurate shot (yesterday aside!).

I'm not sure I would change much on our D.  Hughes is Hughes, Schenn is one of the best values in the NHL, OEL had a good season, Myers was very good, Dermott showed well.  Hunt, Burrroughs and Rathbone should fill the bottom out well and provide depth.  I get that the names on our back end don't stand out, but they did an outstanding job.  Unless you get a good deal on Myers, I think things probably stay the course next year.

I would be very happy a line up of:

Pod-Miller-EP

XXX-Horvat-XXX

Garland-XXX Pearson

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Myers

Hunt/Rathbone/Burroughs-Dermott

Demko

Martin

Deal Boeser for picks/prospects, trade Dickinson for minimal return, find a way to dump Poolman.

with about 16mil in space, sign Nichushkin, Marchment to play wing with Horvat, sign Nick Paul to play 3C.

We get much more skilled up front and add a ton of size.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not so much a "moment" rather than a "period". And simply, the relief felt by both players and fans once we changed our coaching. To start, it was a new era that provided at least some optimism that a major change could help. Then when we actually started winning, the move being the RIGHT move was affirmed. 

To me, this period of maybe a month assured us that our team wasn't as bad as we were playing and perhaps we were not as lost as some thought. It reinforced that although there are things to work on that the team wasn't requiring as much of an overhaul as some claimed. And I tell ya, even though we didn't quite make the playoffs this year, I would be literally floored if that happened again next season. We might not be a contender next season, but if management provides the adjustments this team requires, I see only a positive year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I truly believe we are far closer than many people think.

-Hughes has potential to be a PPG D, while being solid defensively.  I'm not sure anyone in the league had a more impressive bounce back from last season

-We have 3 high end/elite centres in Miller, Bo, and EP

-Demko is a top 5 goalie in the league

-I think Lammikko, Highmore and Lockwood are an excellent, young and cost effective 4th line

-Boudreau is an outstanding coach.  What a breath of fresh air for this franchise

We have the hard pieces in place already, #1 D, #1C (x3), #1G.  

I think we need better wingers.  Podkolzin should just get better naturally, he has some pretty bug upside.  Pearson is a much bigger piece than he gets credit for.  Garland does a lot well, but man does he lack finish.  Boeser is a shooter with a wildly inaccurate shot (yesterday aside!).

I'm not sure I would change much on our D.  Hughes is Hughes, Schenn is one of the best values in the NHL, OEL had a good season, Myers was very good, Dermott showed well.  Hunt, Burrroughs and Rathbone should fill the bottom out well and provide depth.  I get that the names on our back end don't stand out, but they did an outstanding job.  Unless you get a good deal on Myers, I think things probably stay the course next year.

I would be very happy a line up of:

Pod-Miller-EP

XXX-Horvat-XXX

Garland-XXX Pearson

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Schenn

OEL-Myers

Hunt/Rathbone/Burroughs-Dermott

Demko

Martin

Deal Boeser for picks/prospects, trade Dickinson for minimal return, find a way to dump Poolman.

with about 16mil in space, sign Nichushkin, Marchment to play wing with Horvat, sign Nick Paul to play 3C.

We get much more skilled up front and add a ton of size.  

Nice call... 

I'd still love to see DesLauriers on the team as well... 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Benning being fired, the people that replaced him sounding like professionals with a plan they can stick to. 

That hit on dirty Keith.  

Seeing the team show character by fighting to the end. 

Sitting right next to the Larscheiders their first game there. 

For one glorious moment I forgot about his cap hit and the opportunity cost he represented on our RHD. 

• Like 1

My favourite moment's not even in a game itself. I really liked the initial media interviews with Boudreau and seeing how cheerful he was. Also, how he said he hated the whole "Bruce there it is" which led to it being even more popular. lol

• Haha 1