The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who from our bottom six has to go?

Rate this topic

danjr

I'm sorry, but our bottom six was a real let down this season.  In my lowly opinion, none of them brought energy or intensity.

All they did was eat up minutes until our top two lines could return to the ice.  There were no huge hits, no antagonizing other top players.  No awesome forecheck, nothing.  Pure and simply NOTHING.

So out of our bottom guys, who must be dealt away, to try get someone...anyone who really brings it?

I'm talking:
Petan, Lammikko, Highmore, Lockwood, Richardson and Dickinson.  (vote in others if you wish!)

Lammikko give good forecheck and tight checking.
Richardson gives some good PK time.
Highmore has some speed.

Lockwood?

Dickinson, showed up for a few games.
Petan  less than ?

I mean sure some of them are league minimum.  But jebus bring it a bit harder.

For me it's get rid of Petan.  He is invisible.  Dickinson is right there, just because of his horrid cap hit.

• Like 1

richardson can come back on a PTOm try to move Dickinson, can get what he brings for 850k, Lammiko lost steam when Motte was traded, I would circle back with Motte and offer long term deal at low AAV cuz he has injury issues and doubtful a team goes long term above 2 million./yr for him. sign deslauriers and a true 3C like ?Paul 

move Pearson too, I would use the money from Pearson and Dickinson to go after Andrew coop if he makes it to UFAgency, he might be looking at 4.75 mill/y x long term, 

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Vintage 2

I wonder what the plan for Sutter is, if he wants to sign for under 1M he'd be a great 4th line winger who can take faceoffs and kill penalties.

If not, I'd go with Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood for our 4th line.

Our 3rd line needs some help though. If we play Miller, Petey and Bo on 3 different lines then I suppose Bo is our 3C but ideally we'd go out an acquire a young UFA. Paul and Tierney are out there, I'd try to sign Tierney to a 3-3.5M x 3y deal. 

We'd have to move cap out so Dickinson and Poolman will have to be flipped for picks/nothing. Dickinson just isn't good enough defensively or at faceoffs to be trusted at 3C and doesn't do enough to warrant his cap on the wing. With Hoglander and Tierney locking down the 3rd line we have some real options (depending on how Bruce deploys our grinders Pearson and Chiasson in the top 6). 

Richardson was a great C, but I do have concerns about his age. Probably worth a 1-year deal with performance bonuses though. I think Lammikko has it in him to be a 3C and Richardson could be our 4C. Dickinson had some good moments, but he really struggled this year.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Qwags said:

Highmore-Lammiko-Lockwood should be our 4th line next year imo. I'd move on from everyone else.

I like this too, but I'm open to looking for an upgrade at center on Lammiko and shifting him to the wing

Everyone else can go 

• Cheers 1

Lammiko got better as year went on and ultimately seems to be a solid 4th line centre that can slide up if needed. Great find by Benning from one of his best trades (slightly making up for one of his biggest blunders)

Highmore gives good value as bottom line guy and Lockwood looks good for a full rookie season next year as 12/13th forward.

‘Petan brought nothing and as a depth player on a team over-run with little forwards I just want to see some more size in the bottom 6. As a depth forward in Abby he is fine. 
‘Dickinson was disappointing. He looked decent at times especially when Bruce played him as winger with Bo but on the balance was very disappointing. 
‘I like Brad Richardson but not sure how much he has left and ideally would be a 5C. 

can anyone explain to me why my iPad adds a ‘ every time I start a new paragraph?

It gets very annoying. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed with most people saying Dickinson, and that the Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood line should stay as 4th line.
The rest of the current guys listed are either AHL players (Petan) or nearing retirement (Richardson) so they're a dime a dozen.

9 hours ago, Darius said:

Bottom 6 also need to get a little tougher. The 3c needs to be able to win draws, check and take some pressure off of Bo .   Cant rely on Schenn (and Burroughs if hes i the lineup) as the only source of truculence.  More scoring, more nastiness.  There were some guys that we rallied behind but as far as Im concerned any one of them can be upgraded.  That said Lockwood, Highmore and Lammy look like a decent starting point.

Agreed with this post, my only caveat being that on any given night, either Petey or Horvat ended up in that 3rd C spot so essentially it was a revolving door (e.g. when Bruce needed to shelter Petey in his slump, or when Petey and Miller earned the top offensive minutes then Bo went down to take the shutdown minutes).  In this case, the assumption is that we'd get a defense-first guy, and if that's the case 1) we risk acquiring another Dickinson (that was his role in Dallas) and 2) by extension, there's a chance that we'd revert to a top-6, bottom-6 kind of role (since there's very few 3rd liners who are both shutdown and scoring, e.g. we've had the likes of Malhotra/ Pahlsson/ Sutter in recent memory) so as fans our expectations for these kinds of players would also need to change since they're there to take defensive burdens instead of be primary offensive contributors.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petan, Richardson, and (if Allvin can accomplish it) Dickinson will not be back.  

Hoglander, and two free agents will be in.  Maybe Chiasson?  Woo will get a shot too in the bottom six.

woo is a defenceman ...

(and nowhere near making the nhl)

Edited by tas

29 minutes ago, tas said:

woo is a defenceman ...

(and nowhere near making the nhl)

Woo has been transitioned to wing this season.  He’s no longer playing D.  He’s playing like Big Buff when he was young.  No interview resource, but my guess is the Canucks have made Woo understand his best chance for the NHL (now) is as a bottom six, energy, heavy body.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i want to see 3 scoring lines and  1 checking line. bo, hoglander and maybe podkolzin would be a good 3rd line. miller and petey centering the first ,two lines. i like highmore, lockwood and lammy on the 4th line.

Chiasson was very good value as a top 9 winger.  Maybe we should sign him now to a two year deal?  He’s been a PTO several years in a row, so we might get him at a really good cap hit if he knows he’s secured a contract with a couple years term.  And he’s big.  

• Vintage 1

It needs to become competitive to get NHL minutes in the bottom 6.  They'll bring more energy if they have to fight just to stay in the lineup.  A set bottom 6 guys going in would be a mistake imo.  Sign some AHL/NHL tweeners maybe and maybe an older vet (stick with Richardson maybe?).  Let them scrap it out with the younger guys to see who deserves to be on the ice.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Lammiko got better as year went on and ultimately seems to be a solid 4th line centre that can slide up if needed. Great find by Benning from one of his best trades (slightly making up for one of his biggest blunders)

Highmore gives good value as bottom line guy and Lockwood looks good for a full rookie season next year as 12/13th forward.

‘Petan brought nothing and as a depth player on a team over-run with little forwards I just want to see some more size in the bottom 6. As a depth forward in Abby he is fine. 
‘Dickinson was disappointing. He looked decent at times especially when Bruce played him as winger with Bo but on the balance was very disappointing. 
‘I like Brad Richardson but not sure how much he has left and ideally would be a 5C. 

can anyone explain to me why my iPad adds a ‘ every time I start a new paragraph?

It gets very annoying. 

Agreed with everything you just said.  

Lammikko, Highmore, Lockwood, and Richardson as 13th forward for me.  Petan and Dickinson should go elsewhere, if possible.  

10 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

richardson can come back on a PTOm try to move Dickinson, can get what he brings for 850k, Lammiko lost steam when Motte was traded, I would circle back with Motte and offer long term deal at low AAV cuz he has injury issues and doubtful a team goes long term above 2 million./yr for him. sign deslauriers and a true 3C like ?Paul 

move Pearson too, I would use the money from Pearson and Dickinson to go after Andrew coop if he makes it to UFAgency, he might be looking at 4.75 mill/y x long term, 

Yes Coop or Domi would look great in Vancouver... I think Domi played together in junior.  

Coop 27, 6'1, 205, should be a 18--24 G-- 45-55 point player if playing in top 9.. He has fit in nice with NYR GP 16--18 points..

Domi 27, 5'10, 195, should be a 20-25 G -- 50-56 point player.. He scored 72 points 2018-19 season..