The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks' dismiss 5 more staff, this time from Human Performance - including Roger Takahashi

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Cue the scapegoating in this fanbase. :lol::picard: It's ALWAYS someone else's fault here.

These people getting fired have little to no influence to players getting injured while playing INTENSE hockey. Look around the league and injuries are prevalent in almost every team. A lot of it is just luck.

I'm telling ya... when JR gets fired in the future, all the pompoms that are raised for him will suspiciously turn to rifles, just as they are about to shoot the soon-to-be executed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Cue the scapegoating in this fanbase. :lol::picard: It's ALWAYS someone else's fault here.

These people getting fired have little to no influence to players getting injured while playing INTENSE hockey. Look around the league and injuries are prevalent in almost every team. A lot of it is just luck.

I'm telling ya... when JR gets fired in the future, all the pompoms that are raised for him will suspiciously turn to rifles, just as they are about to shoot the soon-to-be executed.

The pompoms will be put away real quick if we are coming back with the same (extended) core as finished last year.  

Miller, Bo, Garland, Myers, OEL, Boeser.  Some of these guys need to go. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

100% agree on Takahasi. He seemed like a Baumgartner type guy here. Everyone just loved the guy and never seemed to question his results ... in the organization I mean.  He seemed super dedicated but as you say our strength and conditioning seemed to be a weakness in comparison to other teams. I never recalled our teams overpowering other teams, being ultra fit, or show much in terms of improvement throughout the season in the last decade.

And oh yeah the injuries were atrocious. Maybe his methods are out of date. Either way.

Upwards and onwards.

To add to that...  when Boudreau came in, he noted that our team was out of shape and he held a mini bootcamp to kick it up a notch.  

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To add to that...  when Boudreau came in, he noted that our team was out of shape and he held a mini bootcamp to kick it up a notch.  

He was probably one of those strength and conditioning guys that wanted to see guys bulk up and forgot about the speed, agility, and conditioning part.

Over the years guys would come back from offseason and look massive. So fans get all excited thinking they’re gonna have great years but then it didn’t translate on the ice. 

Strength is obviously important and adding muscle is necessary. But it seemed like a lot of our young guys were adding too much too fast and sacrificing speed and agility for it.

Speed, endurance, and agility need to be the primary focus, not the afterthought. Strength will come in time as these guys fill out and mature physically.

Time to put specific goals into place for each player and have them commit. Everything from skating, to diet, to cardio, to strength training, to recovery need to be guided by the team.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He was probably one of those strength and conditioning guys that wanted to see guys bulk up and forgot about the speed, agility, and conditioning part.

Over the years guys would come back from offseason and look massive. So fans get all excited thinking they’re gonna have great years but then it didn’t translate on the ice. 

Strength is obviously important and adding muscle is necessary. But it seemed like a lot of our young guys were adding to much too fast and sacrificing speed and agility for.

Speed, endurance, and agility need to be the primary focus, not the afterthought. Strength will come in time as these guys fill out and mature physically.

Time to specific goals into place for each player and have them commit. Everything from diet, to cardio, to strength training, to recovery need to be guided by the team.

We fired the guy who built this?  But why?  :lol:

spacer.png

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

So Benning and his management all get the axe.  Five Scouts get the axe.  These ones today from the performance get the axe.  But Ron Delorme stays?

Thanks. I’ve said this a couple times.

Ron Delorme is like Teflon Don. Hoping he gets punted soon. He has been a scout for over 20 years and I think he is one of the heads in that department.

Time to move on.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah it looks like we were right at the top.  Montreal was the worst with Weber and Price taking up alot of that...

Weber and Price are only 2 players but Montreal is further to the right than Vancouver who had 3 long term with Sutter, Ferland and Keeper.

That visual is a bit misleading because they count retired players as well as minor leaguers who stay on the roster because of an injury in camp.

InjuryViz  detail their counts.  They have Montreal, without Weber, with 599 games lost to injury.  Vancouver had 384 when not counting Ferland and Keeper.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great to see the house cleaning of this stale oprganization progress in Ernest into the deepest cracks and crevices of this organization.  Can't wait for the clean-up to start within the player ranks, which has been long overdue.    Based on what we've heard and seen from JR so far, this off-season could turn into the beginning of a bloodbath in the players ranks - which I'm almost expecting at this point, as the current team composition has completely FAILED for years finishing in the bottom of the league and out of the playoffs year after year!  So there is absolutely NO WAY that this current roster should be kept "as is" as it has not worked out in years and time to move on.     

There are obviously a few good pieces to keep and we all know who they are, but there are some very, very bad contracts and poorly performing players that MUST be EJECTED as soon as it can be done within reason.   I suspect "The Purge" will take the better part of 2 to 3 years to clean up the Jim Benning Mess. So we'll need to be patient!

So thrilled to finally see a major housecleaning of this franchise. Long overdue!  

I think you fail to realize rebuilding a team doesnt happen overnight, same as gaining experience to win a cup. Overchkin won his first cup, once his hair turned grey. Also the team has been turned over many times by Benning albeit he added bad pieces most times too but we have let Tanev  Gudbranson, Edler, Stecher, Ericsson, Gaudette, Beagle etc. go recently and before that some other group of players lile Chaput, McCann, Del Zotto and others go. We also have younger players now developing like Hoglander,  Podkolzin, Hughes, Petterson and Spencer

• Vintage 1

Happy to see Roger Takahashi go. Seems both strength and conditioning have been weak points on this team for years. Whoever replaces him needs to strap a barbell to Pettersson’s shoulders and get him doing some squats. He shouldn’t be falling over by a light breeze ten times a game heading into his fifth season. 

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

So Benning and his management all get the axe.  Five Scouts get the axe.  These ones today from the performance get the axe.  But Ron Delorme stays?

I don’t get delorme staying on he should have been canned during the Gillis era. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, combover said:

I don’t get delorme staying on he should have been canned during the Gillis era. 

interesting point, when Gillis was hired there was a pre-emptive article about Delorme liking getting fired, but magically he did not, I think there is an obvious pr reason but also maybe he is solid at what he does, supposedly he was the one lobbying for drafting Petersson...

8 minutes ago, combover said:

I think its simple. PR based decision. The canucks were all about truth and reconciliation this year, Ron is metis... Yeah he won't be going anywhere

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

We fired the guy who built this?  But why?  :lol:

spacer.png

I see this picture and I think...how does an organization not figure out that the 6th overall pick has major fitness, commitment and cognitive issues, I mean was this not Button's main knock on him, I recall this being a very visible criticism of him prior to drafting...I also feel bad for Jake, he had the whole world in his hand and wouldn't put in the work to keep it there.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I see this picture and I think...how does an organization not figure out that the 6th overall pick has major fitness, commitment and cognitive issues, I mean was this not Button's main knock on him, I recall this being a very visible criticism of him prior to drafting...I also feel bad for Jake, he had the whole world in his hand and wouldn't put in the work to keep it there.

Who was our WHL head scout at that Jake draft?  Was it Delorme?  

20 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

no sympathy for meatheads. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Jon Sanderson is going to be a very unpopular dismissal among players I think.

Takahashi being canned is well deserved IMO. The strength and conditioning of our players has been a big issue over the years. I feel he wasn’t identifying players weaknesses properly. Players like Boeser needed to work on foot speed and conditioning and came in bulked up but slow and out of shape.

I think the cleaning of this group was a good move. It's just time, especially as you note on the strength and conditioning.

Most likely the new  management has analyzed this group and come to these conclusions after a lot of research. 

Gillis tried to put this team in a new era then Benning shows up and cements the old school past in place.

Sometimes a culture change means the works and come fall the players will have a new environment to start fresh. 

I'm happy with the changes.  

Do you now if Ron Delorme is still holding employment? I've always thought he should go if he's not already gone. He's been here far too long.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I think the cleaning of this group was a good move. It's just time, especially as you note on the strength and conditioning.

Most likely the new  management has analyzed this group and come to these conclusions after a lot of research. 

Gillis tried to put this team in a new era then Benning shows up and cements the old school past in place.

Sometimes a culture change means the works and come fall the players will have a new environment to start fresh. 

I'm happy with the changes.  

Do you now if Ron Delorme is still holding employment? I've always thought he should go if he's not already gone. He's been here far too long.

Delorme is a lifer.  He will be promoted.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1