The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nice to see that Kuzmenko couldn't wait a moment longer to announce he's a Canuck, and not take a week as expected. 

Great news. A few points.

1. It was good of Boudreau to make the long drive to talk to Kuzmenko. And Allvin has put in a lot of work over several years to keep in touch with Kuzmenko, and he also made a long drive for the interview in Michigan. Those things were apparently very important. Obviously this signing had no chance of happening without the regime change. 

2. Kuzmenko wanted an assurance that he would get an opportunity to put points on the board. With Boudreau there to i) assure him he would get a good opportunity  and ii) be his usual upbeat, charming self, that was important. And Boudreau's track record with Ovi probably did not hurt. 

3. Not to rain on anyone's parade but he will be a UFA next summer. So it is reasonable that he would want to be in a place where he would get a good chance to play a significant offensive role. Whether he re-signs with the Canucks or not, he will get paid more (maybe a lot more) if he is given enough offensive opportunity to put points on the board this year.

4. There are no guarantees but using normal league translation factors and a lot of other information, he should be ready to be a good NHL forward.

5. To me, this complicates planning for next year. Some people think this increases the chances of trading Miller, Boeser or Garland. Maybe it does. But the other point of view is that after adding another good NHL-ready player, the Canucks could just decide to go for it next year. (Not by trading away futures, but just with the players they have in the fold along with maybe one or two moves to fill in weak spots.)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's only making $925,000 this year.  Wait until he becomes a UFA next summer and we will see if the money is a driver for him or not...

If he didn't think he could get a good second contract from Vancouver, he wouldn't have come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Actually, Pit would be all over that trade, especially if they don't get Letang back.  

Letang will re-sign though. Same with Geno. I can't see either walking.

Both are loyal to the team that drafted them and where they've spent their entire careers.

I think they would only engage a move that would still benefit the club in their departures, like a sign and trade, if mgmt decided to make a shift like PHI did with Giroux.

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

yikes, we will lose a lot of points not having miller run the PP. Millers earned that left high slot spot. I suppose kuzmenko could play bumper and still have horvat on PP2.

Those 2 units are to balance them out.  If they want to go all in then they can replace OEL with Podkolzin like I mentioned and Podzilla can play in front of the net with Miller on the high left.  Kuzmenko needs to be on PP1, that is a big reason we signed him, to play on the power play.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Because all players coming from the KHL has had successful transactions into the NHL.

Gusev and Shipachyov were arguably better players, but never had the success they had playing in the KHL.

Well.. Shipachyov only played 3 games and Vegas gave him the boot. He scored 1 goal though.

Those 2 units are to balance them out.  If they want to go all in then they can replace OEL with Podkolzin like I mentioned and Podzilla can play in front of the net with Miller on the high left.  Kuzmenko needs to be on PP1, that is a big reason we signed him, to play on the power play.

I have a wee feeling that this guy is gonna be a couple levels above Chaisson!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Not Kaprisov by any means but definitely at top 9 guy, great shot, mobile good speed not great, and a competitor.  A good signing and hopefully he's a top 6 guy but at worst could be a solid 3rd liner who adds offense from that line giving us more balance. Someone posted earlier, his point totals in the KHL would translate into an approx 65 pt forward here...so first line potential. I kind of think of him as a Burrows type player in terms of comparisons.

Seems like a good projection(s) for him in the Canucks lineup but everything is fluid with the Canucks, right now outside of a spots.  Imo, he is gambling on himself with the Canucks but the pay off, if he clicks with this roster would had been far better than POTENTIALLY playing with McD and having an inflated stat total.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As long as Crosby is around they are going for the Cup.  No way Crosby is going to continue to play on a team that is rebuilding...

Totally agree, but they aren't going to continue to manufacture a team around a very soon to be 35 year old Crosby as the base.

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

If he didn't think he could get a good second contract from Vancouver, he wouldn't have come.

I do agree with that but if he puts up 60-70 points I am sure there will be teams lining up to sign him.  There is no guarantee he re-signs with Vancouver.  Lots can happen between now and next summer...

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Tuch is a heck of a power forward dude. He can skate and hit, and while Boeser has put up better numbers over his career, he's often hurt and slow.

The point was you're not getting Tuch and Buffalo's high first...so no I'm watching the same game, just on earth not mars.

Some people only see points as way to evaluate. I would take Tuch for Boeser. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Where are you Pears?

Hawaii? 

Or, just up at the crack of noon?

What happens when you have a $14,000 dinner rush on Fathers Day and don’t get home until 2 in the morning :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

This kid looks very similar to Radulov. Has a ridiculous set of hands, a great shot and good vision. That highlight reel was pretty insane how many nice plays were in there. 

He may use us just to get a payday come free agency, but it'd be great if we could also sign him to a decent contract after the year if he's worth his money. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's only making $925,000 this year.  Wait until he becomes a UFA next summer and we will see if the money is a driver for him or not...

If money was his principle motivator (to set up for his next contract) wouldn't playing with McDrai have him pick the Coilers?  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I do agree with that but if he puts up 60-70 points I am sure there will be teams lining up to sign him.  There is no guarantee he re-signs with Vancouver.  Lots can happen between now and next summer...

Regardless if he only stays here for one season or not. We get a good player for cheap that helps us do damage in next years playoffs. They are saying he is the best free agent player outside of North America right now.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP1

Boeser   Miller   Pettersson

OEL   Hughes (rover)

PP2

Kuzmenko   Horvat   Podkolzin

Rathbone   Marino

I'd rather stick to the traditional 2 D's on the PP for each group.  If we need to load up PP1 I would replace OEL with Podkolzin and play him in front of the net...

Shouldn't we see what he can really do in the NHL first ? 

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally agree, but they aren't going to continue to manufacture a team around a very soon to be 35 year old Crosby as the base.

Pittsburgh has the next 3 years to win another Cup.  After than Crosby will most certainly retire and they will be in full rebuild.  I think they go after some short term contracts with veterans who can help them.  Pearson and Myers actually work perfectly into that timeline with 2 years left on their deals.  They may fit better in Pittsburgh than Vancouver.  Marino and Kapanen would fit much better in Vancouver as well, so I can see that type of a trade happening. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1