The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrei Kuzmenko | #96 | LW

-AJ-

49 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I beleive Boudreau stated that this is still a bit of a learning curve for Kuz..  the emphasis on off season training and an NHL Camp…

But….

…. can’t wait to see this Horse when it is..

this shot!!

Shorty mentioned that a snapshot in his last game was 91mph, which strikes me as incredible fast for just a snapshot.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Shorty mentioned that a snapshot in his last game was 91mph, which strikes me as incredible fast for just a snapshot.

If you think about his mechanics in that shot,

He maximizes full strength with freedom of range at all 3 points .

No hinderance with the foot plant, until it’s needed to maximize leg strength in the release.….   But hey,  I’m not a rocket scientist ;)

But it is so fluid,  

have we seen a 100 mph wrist shot in nhl history I wonder?

Obviously the output in this game was exciting to see.  

The part I really like is that he seems to be able to process things really fast and be able to play with guys like Petey and Hughes.  He seemed to know where to be to finish or make a play.

I don’t think he has ever gotten to share the ice with guys who can make those sorts of plays and passes to get him the puck.

His play around the net is outstanding, something we haven’t had on the team in a while.  Maybe since Burrows.

I know it is the preseason against weaker opponents, but to me it seems like he might be able to surpass Garland and maybe even Boeser on the depth chart in really short order. 

I have been really slow playing my expectations of him, maybe 15-20 goals and 40 points.  I think I am going to have to revise that upwards.

Edited by Provost

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems like we have (in Kuz) a better player than Boeser, and for a lot less on the cap.  

a lot less cap for now. I can imagine something along the lines of the Mikheyev deal being inked if he can sustain this through January. But should still come in well under BB's current deal.

I see a few options brewing if they do want to move on from Brock. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

As a smaller forward, I did not expect him to be so effective around the net but he's so smart when it comes to getting into softer coverage (e.g. 2nd goal) and making the snap decisions in the net front spot that Boeser had (on the Pearson goal).  I hope we give him a shot to be on PP 1 as the net front guy, or have him and Garland battle for it (Brock IMO is better suited controlling along either side board and taking shots).

Kuz/ Garland

Miller/ Garland - Bo/ Pearson - Petey/ Boeser/ Podz

Hughes/ OEL 

Edited by Phil_314

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seems like we have (in Kuz) a better player than Boeser, and for a lot less on the cap.  

He definitely plays at a higher pace than Brock.

I don't think it's wise to put too much weight into one preseason game, but he definitely seems totally in his element in the offensive end.

Pettersson is looking extra assertive early on, and he's a very easy player to play with. But if Kuzy can finish, that's all we need from him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

a lot less cap for now. I can imagine something along the lines of the Mikheyev deal being inked if he can sustain this through January. But should still come in well under BB's current deal.

I see a few options brewing if they do want to move on from Brock. 

Yes I agree we will have better idea after 40 NHL games how good Kuzmenko really is..

Mikheyev - speed, skill -- GP 75 - G 20-- PTS 48

Kuzmenko -Skill--            GP 75-- G 18- 22 -PTS 38-44 - First NHL season will have adjustments with travel etc..

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Yes I agree we will have better idea after 40 NHL games how good Kuzmenko really is..

Mikheyev - speed, skill -- GP 75 - G 20-- PTS 48

Kuzmenko -Skill--            GP 75-- G 18- 22 -PTS 38-44 - First NHL season will have adjustments with travel etc..

I think we definitely have a long term winger for the future, which adds great depth to our already strong group of wingers. 

9 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If he's given a good situation here and is good friends with Podz, one would think that Vancouver has a good chance to keep him if they can clear enough salary space.  I can definitely see a trade with Boeser and change to land a defenseman and cap space.  

they'd have to move someone to keep Kuz, that's for sure.  Unless Boeser lights it up this year, he'll be tough to move without a sweetener

5 hours ago, DanielCloutier said:

As long as its before July 1st. He's a total UFA after this year. He won't become an RFA if that's what you're implying.

And there in lays the problem. If he plays with Pettersson, he's going to get points. If you were his agent, what are you hoping for?