The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PLD had 61 points when he was 20 years old. He’s only turning 24 tomorrow so has lots of time to pass Horvat in terms of production. 

Horvat is a 2C. PLD can be a 1C. As for Miller, he wasn’t even a top 6 player at 24 years old. So not sure why you are comparing Miller to PLD. 

lol isn't that how you guys are comparing Miller when people are saying all the proposal for said and said prospect are all worse than Miller even though they are better than Miller was at the same age? so we are having a 60 avg guy as ur 1C. so i guess EP will be a 3C or at best 2C? in 5 years time he has shown 0 progress in terms of production and he's been with better players in the latter. so what makes you think he isn't a 60 point guy at best? i stay far far away from a guy that have 0 loyalty to every team he's been on. signing him to a long term contract means absolutely nothing as he will demand a trade out whenever he feels like. i'm still laughing at how people are considering offering him 8mil a season for 8 years when his best production to date is 61 points.. and people were pissed off at any mention of EP getting over 7mil. people here are funny.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol isn't that how you guys are comparing Miller when people are saying all the proposal for said and said prospect are all worse than Miller even though they are better than Miller was at the same age? so we are having a 60 avg guy as ur 1C. so i guess EP will be a 3C or at best 2C? in 5 years time he has shown 0 progress in terms of production and he's been with better players in the latter. so what makes you think he isn't a 60 point guy at best? i stay far far away from a guy that have 0 loyalty to every team he's been on. signing him to a long term contract means absolutely nothing as he will demand a trade out whenever he feels like. i'm still laughing at how people are considering offering him 8mil a season for 8 years when his best production to date is 61 points.. and people were pissed off at any mention of EP getting over 7mil. people here are funny.

Not sure the sticking point is whether peak Miller is going to be better than peak PLD or whoever it is when he will be peaking. This team is not ready to compete for a cup and given the mess Benning left behind is likely a few years away. JTM will have played through his peak by then.  
I am not saying there isn’t a way to make it work with JTM, just you need to look at the timing of quality as well as the amplitude. 

It is a privilege, not a right, to play in the NHL.

This type of entitlement hasn't ever sat right with me.

Like that twerp Jared "It is what it is" McCann('t) who thought he should have gone higher and didn't want to be a Canuck.

Eric Lindros and his parents snubbing Quebec which went on to dominate the NHL as Colorado.

"eFF" these doinks.

Winnipeg needs to brutally cut out all the rot; there is no place for entitlement on a poor destination Canadian team.

They have to rebuild, from management on down, with character, and team-first players.

If it was my team, I would look at former moose players and management for character leaders in touch with the community.

Anybody doesn't want to be here, here's the quarter, call yourself a cab.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

It’s a challenge to build a team when you have a player that isn’t invested in winning with the group the same way the other players are “all in” as opposed to “in it for me”.  Has PLD ever declared where is prime destination is?

Sounds like PLD is a guy who measures his self worth in his pay check and compares that number to his peers rather than competing to earn value based on his play on the ice.  Clearly a very selfish guy.  So I say he chooses to play whoever he gets paid the most.  

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

PLD’s speed, grit and defensive/2way game are miles ahead.

no slag on Brock at all, he’s had a rough go the last few years and been pretty consistent through it considering the r magnitude, but a guy with PLD’s skill set is far more valuable to this particular club’s need atm. 

PLD kinda sorta averages 20-22 goals a year with 2 really good seasons: his second season of 27 goals and last year of 28 goals. What I like about his stats last year was a career high of 106 penalty minutes which show he's adding a bit of snarl to his game. We could use a snarls forward yes, but I think Boeser could average more goals than PLD. Probably closer to a 30 goal average. Boeser might have a couple of 40 goal seasons in him too.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

PLD kinda sorta averages 20-22 goals a year with 2 really good seasons: his second season of 27 goals and last year of 28 goals. What I like about his stats last year was a career high of 106 penalty minutes which show he's adding a bit of snarl to his game. We could use a snarls forward yes, but I think Boeser could average more goals than PLD. Probably closer to a 30 goal average. Boeser might have a couple of 40 goal seasons in him too.

I dunno about 106 mins penalty = adding snarl.. I see 0 fighting majors in there so it could be all hooking holding tripping high sticking interference delay of games for all we know.. unless those are off setting penalties that’s quite a lot of power plays he gives the other team.

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

I dunno about 106 mins penalty = adding snarl.. I see 0 fighting majors in there so it could be all hooking holding tripping high sticking interference delay of games for all we know.. unless those are off setting penalties that’s quite a lot of power plays he gives the other team.

Generally from what I gather increased penalty minutes sort of show someone being more 'involved' in the play. Periphery players who skate around the zone, penalties look like someone going more to the dirty areas thus getting closer in opportunities. 

Imo anyway.

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Winnipeg?

Magic Johnson No GIF by MOODMAN

He just bought a house in Nashville this month.  Shortly after he was fired from NYI, Dreger reported that Trotz would like to transition to management at some point.  He has a spot in Nashville with Poile if he wants - Poile was asked at the end of the season.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Generally from what I gather increased penalty minutes sort of show someone being more 'involved' in the play. Periphery players who skate around the zone, penalties look like someone going more to the dirty areas thus getting closer in opportunities. 

Imo anyway.

I dunno.. he’s #1 in the league in minor penalties taken with 43.. a good chunk ahead of the next guy Brady tkachuck by 7.. I’m not even sure if that’s a good thing.. like all the agitators have less minors than PLD.. so those guy are not costing his team like PLD is.. pat maroon for example only have 22 minors out of his 134 pim.. Tom Wilson only have 24 minors out of 98 pim.. imagine if he was on our team this year and he put our team short handed that many times.. it would have cost us almost 15 more goals against at our PK rate. 

2 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Hes a streaky plug tbh and at this point looking like a toxic ego in both rooms hes been in he just wants to get to UFA to max out his contract where he actually wants to play canucks need to stay away

Streaky plug?

Since when is a career average 55 point player (5 seasons in and now at only 23 years old) a plug?!?

ridiculous.

I like PLD's talent. He's a good player. A really good player. 

Unfortunately, what will probably give the organization a headache are his character issues. 

If he's traded here, I doubt he'll sign long term, and walk in 2024 anyways. Puts the team in an even $&!#tier position. So no. I don't want him on our team. 

If I were a guessing man, I think he lands in Montréal. If that's where he wants to go, by 2024, he's got every right to go there. 

On 6/23/2022 at 1:05 AM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

that was the speculation going into the draft.

Ppl thought he'd be there at 5 and originally it was matthews,laine, poolparty at the top 3.

I think ppl expected either tkachuk or dubois at 4,5. Interchangeable.

Juolevi at 6. 

OJ was mid teens all the way to the start of the second round before the WJs, exactly where he should have been picked ... a few had OJ as high as 6, but not everyone bought it - a loaded FIN team boosted his stats, but a loaded London team, absolutely loaded, and his scoring was modest at best.    The following year Bouchard out scored him lol (draft plus one)...sure he wasn't drafted to be a offensive guy but wow was that ever a whiff.    The fact we passed on a guy who just scored a goal per game during the playoffs and was 1-3 pick prior to the worlds and then after his playoff performance went right back to 2-4 was ridiculous.    Sure we love to hate him (and i hated his Dad), but he just scored 100 point in this league and was a plus 45-50 or something.   Haven't seen that since Mario and Gretzky's era (forwards that dominating on both sides of the puck).    Was the draft that absolutely pissed me off.    Wanted PLD and it was obvious JB did too.    Didn't even consider MT because didn't think he'd slip to us.   When he did it was for sure an upgrade and was over the moon!!!! No way we just got our top 2-3 pick (we were supposed to draft 3rd i think that year, dumb lottery) .... then OJ?   Nobody on the CDC was keen on him or hoping to get him prior...and ISS plus THN had him at 9-11 ... both their rankings come from a consensus of scouts not a hockey personality like McKenzie and Button.    Of those two Button at least had the credentials, but he's not spending his days scouting anymore either.    

Edit: BTW ISS was correct... had Chychrun at 8 and Sergachev at 10...they usually do an excellent job...why?  Because that's their only purpose.   Don't get why some people take so much stock on what individual hockey personalities think - aside from Button maybe.    THN writers also make their writes lists (Kennedy, Larkin and others also put out their own)  but it's their Future Watch which matters - that one isn't their list, but a consensus of 10 NHL scouts, it also does a good job.    IF JB didn't whiff on OJ this team would be in an entirely different position, likely no Miller for one, likely no Myers either  - that part would suck, BUT who else would we have instead?  Zegras?  Boldy?   Hmmm.   JB was under a ton of pressure from the ownership AND a large portion of this fanbase ... whenever i read "8 long years" blah blah blah - i shake my head.   What we needed to do, was tank for five of them.    Couldn't really properly do that.    3 down years just isn't enough these days.   As in top five picks.    And he only had two 5ths, a 6th, a 7th and a 10th.    That simply isn't enough.   Didn't help that he couldn't hit on anyone past the second round either.   Edler is the last hit.   Guys almost retired.   That hurt this club a lot. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2