The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Ryan McDonagh to Predators for Philippe Myers, Grant Mismash

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

All I've ever said about Nashville was that at the end of his career, with a team full of veterans, poile wasn't going to clean house and rebuild despite what he says in public.  Obviously I wasn't far off base

No one ever said he was going to clean house.  That was never the approach he communicated.    

Poile called it a competitive rebuild.  He explained that they are still looking to compete and be in the playoffs while also getting younger and building for the future.  They haven't given up futures with this trade.  

You've been arguing that they would give up 1st round picks, Tomasino, Prokop and whoever else for Miller.  That's where we didn't agree. 

are McDonagh and OEL similar players style wise right now? Could we get OEL to waive and move, new regime and would be nice to get out of a long term contract. Myers is more likely to move but we are weak on the right side and having 7m+ for OEL on 2nd pair isn't ideal when we have numerous contracts to extend to our current players over the next 2-3 years

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

are McDonagh and OEL similar players style wise right now? Could we get OEL to waive and move, new regime and would be nice to get out of a long term contract. Myers is more likely to move but we are weak on the right side and having 7m+ for OEL on 2nd pair isn't ideal when we have numerous contracts to extend to our current players over the next 2-3 years

Is OEL three years younger?  I think he is.  How about we find OEL a proper partner he doesn’t have to carry in his 5 on 5 minutes?  So dumperoo Chaos Giraffe.  

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Do they get cap credit for this but Oilers would not for Keith because it's two different situations? Buy out vs cap recapture?

Yes.  Toronto had a cap credit when they bought out Jared Cowen (not sure if there were others) so they can't bottle that one back up as they've allowed it in the past.

The potential recapture credit is a novel situation - never came up and likely won't anymore.  There are only 3 active recapture contracts left: Quick, Keith and Crosby.

9 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Do they get cap credit for this but Oilers would not for Keith because it's two different situations? Buy out vs cap recapture?

The rule for buyouts is that players under 26 only cost 1/3 of their contract value to buyout; over 26 costs 2/3 of their contract.

1126203111_ScreenShot2022-07-03at2_53_00PM.thumb.png.77a9d90e79835cc066d129e06f4450ec.png

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No but when you have Johansen and Duchene signed to those big deals you are forced to be in win now mode. 

Especially when you have a goalie like Saros and a D man like Josi in their prime, you gotta go for it.

The McDonaugh trade kind of signals that too. They could easily part with Fabbro and be good on D. If they lose Forsberg and don’t replace his offense they might as well blow it up. 

The Preds will be desperate if they lose Forsberg. They’re not gonna look to someone like Kessel as a solution. Forget what they did in the past at that point, Poile’s hand will be forced to make a big move.

but tweets

:lol:

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

just wondering, there was a lot of talk of moving him last year and this would make it more possible 

There was talk, but instead they traded Ellis and extended Ekholm. Don’t think they’ll be moving him.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, kacholu said:

How can Tampa get so much help from everyone. It simply amazes me 

McDonough is a good player with a contract that is not an anchor (yet) with a reasonable cap hit.

Nashville doesn’t have to worry about helping the lightning, they have to worry about defending against Colorado and this helps.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

No one ever said he was going to clean house.  That was never the approach he communicated.    

Poile called it a competitive rebuild.  He explained that they are still looking to compete and be in the playoffs while also getting younger and building for the future.  They haven't given up futures with this trade.  

You've been arguing that they would give up 1st round picks, Tomasino, Prokop and whoever else for Miller.  That's where we didn't agree. 

I still think that's a decent deal for Nashville to get Miller, especially with 50% retained.  Tye response to my posts were that Nashville was that Poike said they are going with a youth movement and wouid never take on a big, veteran salary

Guess what?  They did

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still think that's a decent deal for Nashville to get Miller, especially with 50% retained.  Tye response to my posts were that Nashville was that Poike said they are going with a youth movement and wouid never take on a big, veteran salary

Guess what?  They did

Yup, it's almost like teams will do whatever they think it takes to win hockey games. Media tweets capturing a generalized thought process on a single topic at a given time is not a binding contract or applicable to all other scenarios forever more never to be broken or updated until the end of time. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

Guess it's not really a steal when TB is actively looking to give value away so they can keep Palat.  McDonagh would give Nashville such a strong LHD.

Given how they developed seeming no-names like Rutta (acquired for Koekkoek and a 5th, along with a 7th) and Cernak (as a 2nd round prospect, along with other assets, for Ben Bishop) and positioned them to be top-4 caliber guys, I could see them try the same with Phil Myers or Cal Foote (if they don't bring back Rutta, maybe they can have Hedman carry his pairing with his new partner, bump up Sergachev to take McDonagh's spot and fill in another LHD alongside Bogosian).   

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Guess it's not really a steal when TB is actively looking to give value away so they can keep Palat.  McDonagh would give Nashville such a strong LHD.

Given how they developed seeming no-names like Rutta (acquired for Koekkoek and a 5th, along with a 7th) and Cernak (as a 2nd round prospect, along with other assets, for Ben Bishop) and positioned them to be top-4 caliber guys, I could see them try the same with Phil Myers or Cal Foote (if they don't bring back Rutta, maybe they can have Hedman carry his pairing with his new partner, bump up Sergachev to take McDonagh's spot and fill in another LHD alongside Bogosian).   

Myers has a $2.55M cap hit, but if Tampa buys him out, they’ll actually GAIN cap space next year. They’ll lose a little the following season, but that year is going to be a bit of a step back for them anyways, with multiple RFAs to sign.

So I’d set the odds at about 100% that Myers gets bought out. Although, Tampa could still turn around and re-sign him to a cheaper contract, like Calgary did with Michael Stone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Myers has a $2.55M cap hit, but if Tampa buys him out, they’ll actually GAIN cap space next year. They’ll lose a little the following season, but that year is going to be a bit of a step back for them anyways, with multiple RFAs to sign.

So I’d set the odds at about 100% that Myers gets bought out. Although, Tampa could still turn around and re-sign him to a cheaper contract, like Calgary did with Michael Stone.

Would Myers be worth signing if they buy him out?  I remember him being a pretty strong prospect before, but did injuries hit or is he just not that good?  Large RD seems to be what we are in the market for unless he just never progressed.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Guess what?  They did

They extended Ekholm and Granlund - those are veterans.  Kessel who they were linked to is a veteran.  They are also working on extending Forsberg who is a proven veteran. 

They are even looking to add more proven players for their 2nd line.  Their youth isn't ready to take over and some might never be.  It wouldn't even be surprising if they move Kunin, Tolvanen and maybe even Fabbro but they are not 1st round picks, Tomasino, Jeannot, or other prospects who are still on track to making an impact for them down the road.

It's the acquisition cost the issue not the fact of adding veterans.  They are trying to insulate their youth and help them grow while remaining competitive.

They might be more aggressive with this change of ownership though. It sounds like he's going to be more present/visible.  Some younger players didn't develop as hoped - Poile was rather open on how Kunin and Tolvanen had disappointing seasons so they might no longer be part of their plans.

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, it's almost like teams will do whatever they think it takes to win hockey games. Media tweets capturing a generalized thought process on a single topic at a given time is not a binding contract or applicable to all other scenarios forever more never to be broken or updated until the end of time. 

This trade is not at all in contradiction with what Poile has been saying.  

Listen to his end of season pressers or other interviews - they stream them live but should be accessible on their website.   Tweets don't always fully capture what GMs are saying - it's better to go to the source.  

Edited by mll

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

There was talk, but instead they traded Ellis and extended Ekholm. Don’t think they’ll be moving him.

I was just wondering, he doesn't have any trade protection so I was just curious. 

18 hours ago, mll said:

I'd still love to get Prokop and think he'll eventually get moved due to how much of a bigot their owner is.  Rathbone for Prokop straight up helps both teams.